PDA

View Full Version : retrieving data from old hard drive, help!

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 1:39 PM
OK so here is my problem, I have a old HD I saved from years ago when the PC crashed, I am trying to retrieve old pics and files from it using a USB to Ide/Sata cables and can see the drive in my computer manager with no letter assigned to it.Also the disk is Healthy but GPT protected partition, all right click options are grayed out so no help there.If I remember right the HD has win 98 on it and is a Maxtor 60gb.
Is there a way of retrieving the data by re formatting the HD and using a program like Recuva to retrieve the info? Any help greatly appreciated!

Corbin Dallas
01-09-2011, 1:50 PM
Getbackfat or getbackntfs

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 2:28 PM
Getbackfat or getbackntfs

That looks pretty good when I get to seeing the hard drive but my main problem is trying to assign a letter to that drive so I can access it, if that makes sense. The right click options are greyed out. In the computer managment I can see the drive as disk 1,basic,57.27 GB, Online. The indicator bar is blue with no partitions visible,written under that is Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)In the volume field where the drive letters are shown , there is just a blank spot where the letter should be for that drive.

JDay
01-09-2011, 2:54 PM
Did you try right clicking where it says Disk0, Disk1, etc?

Uriah02
01-09-2011, 3:08 PM
Did you set your BIOS to recognize the new drive? If you just plugged it in and it didn't recognize that would be my first guess, especially if the drive was already formatted properly.

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 3:27 PM
Did you set your BIOS to recognize the new drive? If you just plugged it in and it didn't recognize that would be my first guess, especially if the drive was already formatted properly.

But would I need to do that when I am trying to access the HDD thru the usb cable as if it was a plane old external storage device?

Uriah02
01-09-2011, 3:32 PM
But would I need to do that when I am trying to access the HDD thru the usb cable as if it was a plane old external storage device?

No, you wouldn't, you'd only need to do that if you wanted to connect via ribbon. My bad. It has the drivers installed since it recognizes it right? You shouldn't need to use right click to copy and paste the files if that is the issue...

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 4:16 PM
No, you wouldn't, you'd only need to do that if you wanted to connect via ribbon. My bad. It has the drivers installed since it recognizes it right? You shouldn't need to use right click to copy and paste the files if that is the issue...

I have the hd connected to my laptop using this http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=941&sku=30504&relatedItem=true
The only way I can tell that my laptop is connected to the hard drive is thru my computer management page and has no drive letter assigned to it, so I have no way of telling my laptop to look in the ie:C drive or D drive the option for assigning a letter to it is not highlighted to click on it.

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 4:57 PM
Ok , I forgot to change the jumper from master to slave, but still did not help to assigning a letter to the drive

Corbin Dallas
01-09-2011, 5:17 PM
Get a copy of Gparted and make sure the drive is seen by the partition manager.

If the drive cannot be found there are some programs out there that will force mount the drive in linux. This might be the best way, but there is no guarantee the data will be available.

j.primo
01-09-2011, 5:26 PM
I've successfully recovered files from an old drive by connecting the drive via IDE/EIDE and setting it to slave. Usually I pull the IDE and power from a CD/DVD drive. When I boot up, it shows as a drive and I just drop and drag the files I want to new location.

Good Luck

SG_Niner
01-09-2011, 5:48 PM
I've successfully recovered files from an old drive by connecting the drive via IDE/EIDE and setting it to slave. Usually I pull the IDE and power from a CD/DVD drive. When I boot up, it shows as a drive and I just drop and drag the files I want to new location.

Good Luck

The drive has no letter assign to it, the option to assign is not given.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/SG_Niner/screenshot1.jpg

JDay
01-09-2011, 8:27 PM
Ok , I forgot to change the jumper from master to slave, but still did not help to assigning a letter to the drive

You should just have it set to CS (cable select). All options are grey'd out in disk management?

JDay
01-09-2011, 8:32 PM
The drive has no letter assign to it, the option to assign is not given.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/SG_Niner/screenshot1.jpg

Try using a Linux livecd such as Ubuntu, XP 32bit cannot read GPT partitions. You should even be able to read it with a VMWare image, just install VMWare Player to boot it.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx#ELD

Windows XP Disk Support
13. Can Windows XP x64 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?
Windows XP x64 edition can use GPT disks for data only. Only Windows for Itanium-based systems can boot from GPT partitions.

14. Can the 32-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GPT disks?
No. The 32-bit version will see only the Protective MBR. The EE partition will not be mounted or otherwise exposed to application software.

automatikdonn
01-10-2011, 8:04 PM
Download linux from here... http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
(http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download)

run the live cd...
mount the usb drive...
copy to internal hard drive...

done

kperry
01-10-2011, 9:12 PM
It looks like that drive has a Linux or Mac partition on it... Second the suggestion of getting an Ubuntu or other Linux LiveCD and trying to access the drive from Linux.

JDay
01-11-2011, 12:52 AM
It looks like that drive has a Linux or Mac partition on it... Second the suggestion of getting an Ubuntu or other Linux LiveCD and trying to access the drive from Linux.

No it does not, GPT partitions are a Windows thing. Linux partitions will show up as an "Unknown Partition".