View Full Version : Question about rifle transfer

01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a freind who has a bolt action rifle that is not a c&R and is driving to LA from another state, he wants to sell me the rifle, can we just do a PPT at a FFL ?
The rifle is fully compliant with Cali laws


01-09-2011, 12:05 PM
You can do the transfer through an FFL but it is not a PPT. Both parties would need to be CA residents to be a PPT. Dealer transfers are not limited to $35 like a PPT.

01-09-2011, 12:07 PM
So if he is in LA but not a resident he cant sell me the rifle or can he but its different process then a PPT ?

01-09-2011, 12:09 PM
If he has a CA Driver's License or ID, then he can be considered to be a CA resident.

No CA ID, then it has to be done like an FFL to FFL transfer, and that can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on how much of a jerk the FFL is.

01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
he doesn't and is not a Cali resident

01-09-2011, 12:11 PM
He CAN sell you the rifle by hand delivering it to the dealer. Then the dealer does the DROS as a regular dealer transfer, but it is not what CA calls a PPT.

01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok cool, thanks Jim

01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
... It's an interstate transfer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate) because one party (your friend) lives in a different state from the other party (you).