PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to clean after shoot corrosive?

50 Freak
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Some guys say to bring a bottle of windex and flush it down the barrel. Then run patches immediately after you shoot.

I'm more lazy. Don't they just make a spray nuetralizer or something I can spray down the bore and run a bore snake through?

Any advice?

radioactivelego
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I've seen people put boiling water down the barrel of their Garands after shooting corrosive 30-06.

ocabj
08-09-2006, 11:11 AM
You need water. The only thing in Windex that works against the corrosive salts is the water. And after that, you need to clean like normal and oil the bore appropriately to prevent rust due to the water.

Either that, or stop using corrosive ammo.

bwiese
08-09-2006, 12:18 PM
The ammonia in Windex, a base, helps neutralize acidity of the residues left after shooting corrosive ammo.

Windex helps, but clenaning/scrubbing immediately afterward is important too. (Even after acid/base neutrality acheived w/Windex, ammonia, etc. you still have salts + moisture that can trigger corrosion.)

Real answer: buy noncorrosive ammo :)

50 Freak
08-09-2006, 1:16 PM
Real answer: buy noncorrosive ammo

Not when I can get 2,700 rounds of 8mm for $135 + $12.50 for shipping.

I'll carry a little thing of windex in my cleaning kit.

Trempel
08-09-2006, 2:05 PM
I've used a kettle-full of boiling water down the barrel or my Mosins and Mausers with excellent results. I've also taken a small bottle of water mixed with soap to the range. After hundreds of corrosive rounds, none of them had any pitting in the barrels.
I've recently switched to using Windex (rasberry scent :D) in my Garand. I just run about three patches with windex down the barrel before proceeding with regular cleaning. So far, so good.

scootergmc
08-09-2006, 2:39 PM
All the advice you need....

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/corrosive/index.asp

Fjold
08-09-2006, 2:57 PM
Some guys say to bring a bottle of windex and flush it down the barrel. Then run patches immediately after you shoot.

I'm more lazy. Don't they just make a spray nuetralizer or something I can spray down the bore and run a bore snake through?

Any advice?

The best advice is don't shoot corrosive ammo.

Lazy and cheap is a losing proposition.

vf111
08-09-2006, 3:02 PM
this out:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/alittlesalt/index.asp

VeryCoolCat
08-09-2006, 3:07 PM
If your going to shoot corrosive you have to clean. I don't know about you, but I take it upon myself to thoroughly clean my firearms after I have shot.

Even my sks.

Just use water or windex and one of those clothed brushes to force the water bits and salts out from the receiver to the FRONT OF THE BARREL!!! You don't want crud coming out into the receiver.

Not all that much work. Then use a light grease to coat the receiver/barrel after cleaning.

M. Sage
08-09-2006, 5:58 PM
I can't remember where I found it, but the corrosive ammo leaves salt behind in your barrel basically (Edit: ahh, there it is, thanks for the link Scooter). You just need to flush it with water.

I bring a big bottle of water whenever I shoot so that I can keep hydrated, and run a few patches soaked in the water down the barrel after I'm done shooting, then dry and follow it with Hoppes 9 Solvent for the trip home.

Takes maybe 5 minutes to do a preclean at the range, and it makes the real cleanup when I get home that much easier... and the only extra things I carry are my cleaning rod, a few patches and a bottle of Hoppes, since I'd be bringing the oil anyway.

By the way, I think the salt from corrosive ammo is the same as they salt roads with. Anyone else who's lived in the rust belt knows how fast that stuff can cause rust if you're not anal about washing your car in the winter.

Water dissolves salt... then get the salt water out. All done.