PDA

View Full Version : AZ or NV Mulie hunts???

zerohour714
01-09-2011, 8:21 AM
So after several years of hunting in X-zones in CA with no success, I am thinking of going out of state next year for a Mulie hunt. I am not really interested in paying 5k for a guided hunt, but was wondering if anyone knows of any ranches where you can get a good hunt for around $1000-$1500/person?

I was thinking maybe AZ or NV, possibly CO as well. Thanks in advance guys!!!

mschliebs
01-09-2011, 2:28 PM
Used to hunt mulies North West of Jerome with great success. I am told that today is not much different. No guide needed unless your into the old drive-up, and shoot from the fender kind of hunt. I remember one morning while we were making breakfast, a doe ran straight through camp and not more than 10 yards from the camp fire.

toby
01-09-2011, 3:23 PM
To draw in these two states is ridiculously hard! Nev would be almost a once in a life time?
seriously look into Oregon, mid state or North-North east areas.

pieeater
01-09-2011, 6:44 PM
Are you hunting does????

Used to hunt mulies North West of Jerome with great success. I am told that today is not much different. No guide needed unless your into the old drive-up, and shoot from the fender kind of hunt. I remember one morning while we were making breakfast, a doe ran straight through camp and not more than 10 yards from the camp fire.

Hunt
01-09-2011, 6:48 PM
excellent hunting in both states if drawn

pieeater
01-09-2011, 6:49 PM
I guess im lucky then ive drawn 5 tags in Nevada. 1 elk, 1 antelolpe,and 3 mule deer in 10 years of applying.

To draw in these two states is ridiculously hard! Nev would be almost a once in a life time?
seriously look into Oregon, mid state or North-North east areas.

AndrewMendez
01-09-2011, 11:12 PM
IIRC if you pull a Nevada tag, you can't apply again for 5 years if you don't hit anything, and 10 years if you do. I would not say once in a life time, but def not going to bag something more then once a decade with the best of luck. I don't know how that applies to different animal though.

pieeater
01-10-2011, 7:21 AM
I think thats just for antelope. Deer you can apply again the next year. Elk is 10 or 20 years i forgot. It varys by animal and most states do this.

IIRC if you pull a Nevada tag, you can't apply again for 5 years if you don't hit anything, and 10 years if you do. I would not say once in a life time, but def not going to bag something more then once a decade with the best of luck. I don't know how that applies to different animal though.

toby
01-10-2011, 7:26 AM
I guess im lucky then ive drawn 5 tags in Nevada. 1 elk, 1 antelolpe,and 3 mule deer in 10 years of applying.

Looks that way.....:cool:

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-10-2011, 9:43 AM
I'd look into New Mexico. Draw odds are fairly good, and if you use an outfitter, your odds only get better. NM has some MONSTER mulies.

zerohour714
01-10-2011, 8:18 PM
Are you hunting does????

No does, looking for a good monster mulie hunt. I'm not interested in these "drive up, shoot over the hood of the truck" hunts either. I was thinking of maybe someone knows a rancher who would take a couple hundred bucks per gun as a trespass fee.

Years ago I my grandfather, father, uncles, etc used to do this in CO, WY, MT, but this was years ago. Maybe times have changed, not sure. I am just trying to explore other options than continually hunting these Ca X-zones and not seeing anything.

pieeater
01-11-2011, 6:02 AM
If you are having problems killing deer in our X zones you might have problems out of state too. Over the hood hunt???? Ive been on a couple of 5500 to 6500 dollar muley hunts and still have not killed a good muley. Trespass fee hunt? I paid 2500 this year for a Utah tag on a 8000 acre ranch. After 7 days of rain and hail I basicly only saw a couple of spikes. Arizona you cant buy a tag there draw is extremely tough probably take you 20 years to draw a good tag. Lot of good public land hunts but the reason they are good is limited tags. so instead of putting in for one state and getting drawn once every 20 years put in for 8 states and go every other year. If you draw a good tag do you have time and money to spend time in the unit????

Elk in my avatar is public land. I spent 21 days straight in the unit, 7 days before season and entire 14 day season. I have friends that guide deer in the unit so i had them guide me. I made a couple preseason trips as did they. I also had a couple friends join me at times for during the hunt or scouting. My rambling point is, combined there is close to 90 or 100 days of scouting/ hunting put into that elk. And since it is guided and a premium tag by calguns standards that is a unethical over the hood of the truck hunt.

If you want an unguided muley hunt your best bet is to start applying in all the western states. And doing a bunch of research. Garth Carters huntin fool magazine has most of the draw stuff pretty dialed.

pieeater
01-11-2011, 6:26 AM
Sorry if I sound bitter but ive been trying to get a good Muley since I was 12. And 33 years later my biggest barely scrapes 170. Ive hunted 6 or 7 states been on guided hunts, pack hunts, private property , public land and somehow a nice 180+ muley has evaded me.

toby
01-11-2011, 3:44 PM
Christmas Valley Oregon. guided $2500 complete..minus lodging.... big big deer, I have seen 'two' drop tine mulies on the same hunt! that's kinda rare in itself.

lewdogg21
01-11-2011, 4:41 PM
I did SE Idaho back in the early 90's. My Dad got a decent 24" wide 4x4. You can check that out.

When going out of State unless you are going guided or going on a ranch where you can get some pointers you may spend the 1st year learning and your 2nd year or maybe 3rd year the payoff will come.

Oregon is good too.

pieeater
01-11-2011, 4:47 PM
You have a link? I googled it and nothing came up.

Christmas Valley Oregon. guided $2500 complete..minus lodging.... big big deer, I have seen 'two' drop tine mulies on the same hunt! that's kinda rare in itself.

pieeater
01-11-2011, 4:56 PM
Speaking of drop tines a guy shot this the day we got into camp on my buddys Colorado hunt this year.

http://www.fototime.com/80B9EF1E2459E45/standard.jpg

toby
01-11-2011, 5:00 PM
Thats what I'm talking about and thats a goooooder one there!..:iagree:

toby
01-11-2011, 5:05 PM
You have a link? I googled it and nothing came up.

Sometimes you have to do a little work yourself? :banghead:

AndrewMendez
01-11-2011, 9:01 PM
I think thats just for antelope. Deer you can apply again the next year. Elk is 10 or 20 years i forgot. It varys by animal and most states do this.

You may be right. I am positive Elk is 10 years

zerohour714
01-11-2011, 9:30 PM
Sorry if I sound bitter but ive been trying to get a good Muley since I was 12. And 33 years later my biggest barely scrapes 170. Ive hunted 6 or 7 states been on guided hunts, pack hunts, private property , public land and somehow a nice 180+ muley has evaded me.

Nah, I appreciate all the info I can get. I think hunting has changed quite a bit since my grandfather used to go. He has walls of huge mullies from all different states.

I was told stories when I was a kid of going to Colorado and seeing herds of deer in the flats. With a simple "trespass fee" everyone filled their tags. I guess those days are long gone huh?