PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 vs Marlin 795

tvfreakarms
01-09-2011, 1:47 AM
Well i've been wanting a .22lr for a while now and I've decided to buy one. I know the rugers are very popular and has all kinds of aftermarket products for them. But for me i don't plan on tricking out my .22lr. The only thing I would do is maybe get a bipod, scope or red dot, and other than that just plink away.
But more than likely i would get some sort a budget red dot sight of some sort.

So far from the reviews i've read about the marlin,it has the "last shot bolt hold open" and barrel doesn't have the barrel band like the ruger. The look of the barrel band on the ruger seems a little cheap. Also, the marlin is cheaper which i like.

But what are your thoughts? I would like to get your opionions and your own experiences. Also, which would have a better trigger pull between the 2?
Thanks.

Merc1138
01-09-2011, 2:15 AM
I like my marlin 795, it's great if you don't mind leaving it stock.

If you want to buy something to bolt a bunch of stuff to, or get some crazy custom stock, get the 10/22 since aftermarket parts for the 795 are almost non-existant.

Merc1138
01-09-2011, 2:16 AM
I like my marlin 795, it's great if you don't mind leaving it stock.

If you want to buy something to bolt a bunch of stuff to, or get some crazy custom stock, get the 10/22 since aftermarket parts for the 795 are almost non-existant.

racky
01-09-2011, 2:37 AM
i have a 10/22. 2 actually. one with a barrel band and one without. both are equally accurate IMO. i think people have problems with the barrel band when they mount a sling to it. it does kinda suck that 10/22s don't have a last shot hold open.
i had a marlin but traded it for another rifle a few years ago. i'm planning on buying one again, but the bolt action version.

maxxlara
01-09-2011, 6:43 AM
If you can, shoot both guns too see which one you like. I have a 795 I bought years ago. I just bought my son a 10 22 for xmas, I liked it so much I bought a 10 22 race rifle. IMHO between the two. I like the 10 22 vs the 795. better open sights. When fired the 10 22 feels more solid. It does as you know have tons of aftermarket parts out there. I like having the option to change stuff around, even though I may or may not do it. just my 2 cents...

pennys dad
01-09-2011, 6:51 AM
U cant go wrong with either. All it comes down to is do you want to upgrade or not.
2 or 3 most common upgrades for a Marlin = Scope n Rings, bipod, sling and if you feel crazy you cant buff out the receiver and mag port parts.
15 most common upgrades for Ruger = Stock, trigger, Scope n Rings, bipod, sling, charging handle, barrel, trigger guard, mag release and probably thing i dont know about

XDRoX
01-09-2011, 7:18 AM
I have 4 10/22's, a 795, and a Model 60.

The 795 feels the cheapest and is the least expensive. I really think the 60 is a cool rifle being tube fed. The 10/22 is the most expensive but also better built than the Marlins.

I think my next 22 rifle will be this Model 60:
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/photo_60SS.jpg

choprzrul
01-09-2011, 7:33 AM
I built this 795 for my wife to play with at the range. Cleaned up the action and did a little polishing. Did the floppy disk spring trick and got the trigger pull down to a nice level. The Nikon scope came from eBay and the bipod from Walmart. The Boyd's stock is for a model 60 that I adapted, shaped, sanded, and did the hand rubbed finish.

Now my wife is getting bored with hitting the 6" swingers @ 100yds because it is too easy. Friday we were at the range and she was trying to hit the swinger @ 300. Couldn't tell if she was hitting it or not through the spotting scope. My point is that the 795's barrels are known for their accuracy. Do some little things to the 795 and it will probably shoot better than most of us. Here is the final product:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/IMAG0063.jpg

Danielp59
01-09-2011, 7:39 AM
I personally prefer the 10/22. Always has been my favorite semi auto 22 rifle. Plenty of after market parts and mags available. I did have a 795 and gave it to my nephew. Its a great gun for the money however, the 10/22 feels a bit more solid and better built. Just my opinion.

bbguns44
01-09-2011, 1:57 PM
Get the 795. It's a terrific gun. Smooth, trouble free, accurate. I'm getting another
one & also ordered a wood stock for it.

Francis Marion
01-09-2011, 2:30 PM
Well i've been wanting a .22lr for a while now and I've decided to buy one. I know the rugers are very popular and has all kinds of aftermarket products for them. But for me i don't plan on tricking out my .22lr. The only thing I would do is maybe get a bipod, scope or red dot, and other than that just plink away.
But what are your thoughts? I would like to get your opionions and your own experiences. Also, which would have a better trigger pull between the 2?
Thanks.

Own both... my observations:

With either rifle, the factory sights are garbage and will need to go.
Good aftermarket target sights exist for both.

Ruger is more expensive, but a better choice:
-Ruger may be dry fired. A serious person will spend 90% of their time dry firing, 10% live fire.
-Ruger has a stiff wooden stock that won't deflect if you use a sling.
-has far more upgrade choices, in the event that you upgrade in the future.
-Ruger magazines are cheaper.
-Ruger scope rail presents more optics mount compatibility (3/8 inch dovetail AND Weaver mounts) than the Marlin does (3/8 dovetail only).

Triggers, as purchased, are just OK in both cases. You can tune either one yourself, or buy replacement trigger components.

The Marlin is cheaper, is still a good rifle, but if you only buy one, I suggest the Ruger, not the Marlin.

choprzrul
01-09-2011, 2:41 PM
Own both... my observations:

With either rifle, the factory sights are garbage and will need to go.
Good aftermarket target sights exist for both.

Ruger is more expensive, but a better choice:
-Ruger may be dry fired. A serious person will spend 90% of their time dry firing, 10% live fire.
-Ruger has a stiff wooden stock that won't deflect if you use a sling.
-has far more upgrade choices, in the event that you upgrade in the future.
-Ruger magazines are cheaper.
-Ruger scope rail presents more optics mount compatibility (3/8 inch dovetail AND Weaver mounts) than the Marlin does (3/8 dovetail only).

Triggers, as purchased, are just OK in both cases. You can tune either one yourself, or buy replacement trigger components.

The Marlin is cheaper, is still a good rifle, but if you only buy one, I suggest the Ruger, not the Marlin.

2 brand new rifles out of the box, a 795 and a 10/22. put the same scope on both and make the triggers as equal as possible. At that point, the conventional knowledge says that the 795 is going to be the more accurate rifle of the two. So, unless you want to buy a replacement barrel, I would say buy the 795.

TNP'R
01-09-2011, 3:32 PM
both are good but the 795 might be more accurate with the micro grooved barrel.

870JG10/22
01-09-2011, 8:23 PM
I have a Ruger 10/22 and I really do like it but the down fall of the Ruger is that the Bolt lock absolutly 100% SUCKS!!!! It takes forever to get used to how to unlock the dam thing, the bolt staying open on the last round would be nice but just know when ten rounds are done. The trigger pull i think is good, the sights on it are good and the feel of the gun barrel band and all is really good Im not changing much on mine besides the bolt release, even thought i have got used to that I have not held a 795 but I do really like my Ruger tons of after-market.

Ergo the Qualmed
01-09-2011, 8:32 PM
795. Cheap, and extremely accurate stock. Last shot hold-open is great! Though, the stock sights are quite horrendous...all the same, you can either deal with it, or buy aftermarket peep sights. I slapped a GI sling on it, and with that alone + stock open sights I have bested many a Ruger at the gun range...even the ones with bipods oddly enough.

Get the 10/22 if you like to spend money on accessories and add ons for functionality.

Get the 795 if you don't want to be required to upgrade it for accuracy.

Oh yeah, the 795 has never had a failure or misfeed or malfunction or anything after 2000 rounds. Not a high number I guess, but I thought the fact it has never jammed or anything is a good sign...

gratefuldog
01-09-2011, 9:48 PM
I put 700-some rounds through my 795 this weekend. 2 FTFs, but that was probably the CCI Blazer ammo. Shoots great; the weak link is me

FUBAR
01-09-2011, 10:43 PM
795. Marlin also had a $25 rebate but I think its over now but you can check the Marlin site.

easy
01-10-2011, 7:59 PM
Marlin has a 'new' $25 rebate good through 2011.

tvfreakarms
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey thanks for the info fellas. I was watching a youtube vid and they said that dry firing .22lrs is not good for the rifles?

tvfreakarms
01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
What??? I will have to check it again. Because i thought it was over. Thanks for the heads up.

Marlin has a 'new' $25 rebate good through 2011.

Ergo the Qualmed
01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey thanks for the info fellas. I was watching a youtube vid and they said that dry firing .22lrs is not good for the rifles?

Yeah, supposedly it can damage the firing pin or (more likely) cause a burr at the chamber mouth or something like that.

The 10/22 has some sort of a firing pin stop, so it can be dry fired. The 795, while not (to my knowledge) having a stop, has the awesome bolt catch, so you won't end up dry firing it anyway.

gratefuldog
01-14-2011, 5:07 PM
choprzrul: what is the "the floppy disk spring trick "??

rayrayz
01-14-2011, 7:16 PM
gratefuldog the information is about half way down on the article here:http://votefordavid.blogspot.com/2009/02/marlin-model-60-trigger-job.html

doc8404
08-12-2011, 4:10 PM
i have been looking into purchasing one myself. My friends has a 10 22 that we shoot with all the time... he shaved the trigger, bedded the barrel, and added a scope and it shoots ten times betther than it did stock. But personally unless you are going to get into competition shooting i dont see the need to drop all that work and money into a plinker or practice rifle. I am going with the 795.

socalocalypse
08-13-2011, 1:48 AM
FWIW I have a 10/22, a marlin 795, and a marlin bolt action.

1st off I'm not a great shot, all these rifles have way more capability than I do.

I can hit the most with the bolt action. It has a longer barrel and is heavier which I think helps a lot.

next up the 795. Yep, it feels cheaply made but it's super light and I like the sights, they're like my bb guns when I was a kid :D I can group pretty well with it.

the ruger 10/22. everybody said I need to have this. Well, it certainly has a billiion accessories possible, it's heavier than the marlin, and it seems decently made. I hate the sights, I think it's too heavy, I hate that stupid bolt hold open nonsense, i want to like it but I just haven't warmed up to it.

I put a cheap red dot on it and I think its way more fun now. I can acquire and hit targets way faster and easier. It basically feels like a new gun and i like shooting it way more now.

just my 2 cents fwiw

ejhc11
08-13-2011, 6:45 AM
Take your time and look in the WTS in firearms, there is always someone selling a 10/22 for a good price. I rather buy here than a store to save the tax and new price plus you can use the money you saved to trick it out. I bought new but I should have looked here first, my new 10/22 set me back $270 with tax and DROS.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/ejhc11/P1080726sm.jpg

Ron-Solo
08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
You can't go wrong with either. Eventually you will end up owning both anyways. :D

resident-shooter
08-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I personally don't like modifying guns, so I would go with 795. Then again, i hated the grips and stocks on both rifles so I got 1022 because of Tapco stock option.

jyo
08-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Both are good---but I prefer the 10-22---so much more potential---clean up the trigger with Volqaurtsen parts and the bolt hold-open with same---a damn good little 22.

JETLAG
08-17-2011, 12:16 AM
I like them both :)

caoboy
08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
I bought a 795 because I didn't want to build a rifle. I know if I purchased a 10/22, I'd spend every last dime on as many (not needed) accessories possible.

My friend wanted to get a 10/22, because he didn't like the feel of the 795 (stock)

I let him shoot my 795 with a walmart bipod (winchester?) and a bushnell rimfire scope. He was loving it, and it was too easy to hit the targets we were shooting.

If you aren't building a precision rifle, I don't see the need for a 10/22 unless you get a good deal on it. The 795 is just as good a gun, if not better, depending on how you want to use it.