PDA

View Full Version : How long to register handguns after moving to CA?

John C
01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
A buddy of mine moved to California 5 years ago. He has several handguns that he kept at his brother's house out of state. He now wants to bring them to California. Can he bring them to CA now, and fill out the paperwork and submit the fees to DOJ? I looked at the DOJ site, and it mentioned a specific time period after moving in which a person needs to submit the registration paperwork, but not in the case of the handguns being physically out of state for the time this gun has been a resident.

Thanks,

-John

Librarian
01-09-2011, 12:01 AM
60 days from the time they come to live in CA.

Also can sell them via PPT if he doesn't care to file the form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) and pay the $19 each.

Purple K
01-09-2011, 12:21 AM
The DOJ is more concerned with getting the handguns registered and collecting the fees than they are with penalties. Just file the form and pay the fee.

John C
01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks, guys, for the info.

My advice was similar: file the paperwork and pay the fee BEFORE bringing them to CA. If the paperwork is kicked back, then at least no violation will have occurred.

-John

Maestro Pistolero
01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks, guys, for the info.

My advice was similar: file the paperwork and pay the fee BEFORE bringing them to CA. If the paperwork is kicked back, then at least no violation will have occurred.

-John

I have often wondered what would happen if I attempted to vol/register my handguns in CA while living in Nevada. There is a stiffer penalty (felony, I believe) for concealing a non-registered gun in CA. I wonder if they would kick back the application, or just take the money.

Also, if they were registered in CA, couldn't they be sold to a California resident? (Sorry, my guns aren't for sale). Just wondering.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-09-2011, 2:46 PM
...Also, if they were registered in CA, couldn't they be sold to a California resident? (Sorry, my guns aren't for sale). Just wondering.

A couple of points...

Handguns don't need to be registered in California before they can be sold to a California resident.

Registering handguns in California while you are still a resident of another State won't allow you to use the PPT exemption to the Safe Handgun Roster to sell the handguns to a California resident.