PDA

View Full Version : Loving the S&W 41 to death!

cyrus
01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Loving the S&W 41 to death!

I put whole box through it when I got shooting. ~550 rounds. How long with this thing last? Will the barrel wear out? I perform great maintance on it.

rojocorsa
01-09-2011, 1:18 AM
It probably has a long way to go before a barrel wears out. It's not like you're shooting super-intense BR specific loads through it.

j1133s
01-09-2011, 5:52 AM

I put whole box through it when I got shooting. ~550 rounds. How long with this thing last? Will the barrel wear out? I perform great maintance on it.

Just curious

Why do you like it?

beerman
01-09-2011, 9:11 AM
Just curious

Why do you like it?

Hey, I'll field that. After alot of researching ,I recently purged my other 22 autos and bought 2 model 41s. What immediatly stands out is the quality of these guns. Tight,solid action. Great machine and finish quality. Just the rack of the slide feels and sounds different than my Ruger,or Browning. A rap with a finger on the back of the slide yields a ringing sound consistant with the uniform heat-treating of good material. Both of mine (one 7" and one 5" heavy bbl) shoot amazing. Now don't get me wrong, My my previous guns (Ruger MKII target and Buckmark) were great guns...there just not in the same class as the 41. ...thats my opinion,your milage may vary.

j1133s
01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey, I'll field that. After alot of researching ,I recently purged my other 22 autos and bought 2 model 41s. What immediatly stands out is the quality of these guns. Tight,solid action. Great machine and finish quality. Just the rack of the slide feels and sounds different than my Ruger,or Browning. A rap with a finger on the back of the slide yields a ringing sound consistant with the uniform heat-treating of good material. Both of mine (one 7" and one 5" heavy bbl) shoot amazing. Now don't get me wrong, My my previous guns (Ruger MKII target and Buckmark) were great guns...there just not in the same class as the 41. ...thats my opinion,your milage may vary.

It's good to know that the build quality for the model 41 is better, it is (after all) 3-4x the price of the other guns you mentioned.

How much tighter are your groups w/ the S&W M 41 vs your Ruger and Buckmark? (I assume you were shooting from a rest to test group size?)

What ammo did you use? What were the group sizes?

River Jack
01-10-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm with ya on the S&W 41. I've owned/shot one for 20 years now. My barrel is still fine, so I think you're going to have a lot more fun with it. Although, I have both barrels for mine, so not all rounds have gone thru just one. Anyhow, I think I enjoy shooting that gun more than any of my other pistols. So smooth, so nice, so accurate, so right (for me anyhow). Worth every penny and then some.

tozan
01-10-2011, 3:01 AM
I picked up my first 7 in. model 41 for $250 certainly the best shooting 22 I have ever owned that was in the early 80's....

Just wish I had kept it now....

AleksT
01-10-2011, 8:54 AM
I picked up my first 7 in. model 41 for $250 certainly the best shooting 22 I have ever owned that was in the early 80's....

Just wish I had kept it now....

Now that is just sad. Hopefully it went to a good home.

Gryff
01-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Lost mine when my house was broken into in the '80s. Miss that gun.

wu_dot_com
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM

the barrel will probably last you a very long time as long as you keep up the oiling and clean it properly. oil the barrel regularly to prevent rust. never push a rod down the crown, and always pull the rod from chamber to muzzle. minimize dry firing to prevent damage on the breach face.

oil up the slide regularly to make sure its never running dry. occasionally take out the breach block and clean the extractor, the firing pin for foiling buildup.

occasionally partially disassemble the frame to clean out the crud buildup. tighten up the trigger reset and loctite blue if needed. pay close attention to the mag well area for rust. in my experience, light superficial rust usually first developed there. if rust is spoted, take a fine sand paper (2k grid) and lightly scrub them off. coat the entire frame surface with a layer of thin oil to prevent rust.

the only thing you need to change more often is the recoil spring. the recommended change out period is anywhere between 3500-5000-10K rounds. i use the 10K round guild line with heavier spring. occasionally check the firing pin for pitting and chipping.

you can get springs from wolff, and other parts from brownell.

wu_dot_com
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
BTW shooting .22 typically dont wear out the rifling. most people just buy another barrel becuase they want to not because they need to.

clark custom makes a even better/ accurate barrel. there is one on sale by evildog.

cyrus
01-10-2011, 9:43 PM
Just curious

Why do you like it?

Well funny story. I went to rent a 621 S&W so I could make sure I wanted it before I bought it. I knew the 41 had a rep so I rented it at the same time. The 41 would hit whatever I aim at. The 7" barrel is like a mini rifle, so steady. So I accidentally found it. I have not shot the others but this is my favorite gun of all I own. Most people think it is ridiculous to spend a grand on a 22, but they just dont get it. I can shoot all day for cheap. oh and accuracy is better than I can see so I am happy.

Tank 57
01-10-2011, 10:23 PM
What's a 621 S&W?

tozan
01-10-2011, 10:23 PM
OP.... YOU SUCK... I spent over 2 hours last night after reading and posting on here looking for a 41 to buy.....
Oh well there's always room for one more in the safe...

cyrus
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
whoops 617 revolver

Hey I was not the one to get one for $250

olhunter
01-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Will the barrel wear out?

It's virtually impossible to 'wear out' a .22 barrel.

You'll do more damage to it cleaning it.

tozan
01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
whoops 617 revolver

Hey I was not the one to get one for $250

lol yea but last night my best buy was $750....

Curtis
01-11-2011, 12:01 AM
I love S&W 41. I have two in the family. They will eventually make it to my safe.....but I'm willing to wait My mom has the original purchase order showing $58 (if memory serves). And it was bought using store credit.

wu_dot_com
01-11-2011, 8:58 AM
OP.... YOU SUCK... I spent over 2 hours last night after reading and posting on here looking for a 41 to buy.....
Oh well there's always room for one more in the safe...

evildog is selling his with an extra set of grips for a really good price. i would grab it if i were you. once you buy it, all you need to do is replace the recoil spring, and clean the extractor groove than it should be good to go. it will eat just about anything you throw at it.

NVM looks like its SPF already.

AleksT
01-11-2011, 9:14 AM
This thread makes me want to pull out my Smith 41, take it to the range and start shooting it more often. That's great because that would save me lots of money on ammunition. I guess I should order a butt-load more online while I'm still able to.

Maybe we should have a Model 41 range day sometime.

wu_dot_com
01-11-2011, 9:24 AM
This thread makes me want to pull out my Smith 41, take it to the range and start shooting it more often. That's great because that would save me lots of money on ammunition. I guess I should order a butt-load more online while I'm still able to.

Maybe we should have a Model 41 range day sometime.

where you live? i usually go every weekend and shoot a bulk box with my 41. every so often i will take a box of CCI SV to see my improvements.

the only think i dont like about the 41 is that there are many little areas that can attract a lot of crud and dirt. since i shoot large qt often and bulk box ammo are usually dirty, i have to detail strip and clean it very often. otherwise the junk buildup will cause corrosion.