PDA

View Full Version : My 03 has expired, now what?

savasyn
01-08-2011, 9:47 PM
I let my 03 license expire on the 1st, is there anything that I have to do like send paperwork or license to the ATF or can I just put my bound book pages through the shredder if I chose to?

I may get another 03 in the future, perhaps when I learn to control my spending... ;)

Paul S
01-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Others more expert than I will surely chime in...but I'd recommend against shredding the filled out pages of your bound book. Knowing the feds there is s definite period of time the records must be retained without running afoul of the
BATFE. In fact you might prowl around on the BATFE web site and find the answer there.

Reductio
01-08-2011, 10:23 PM
If you're not an FFL03, then you don't need to keep records. If you're FFL03 license expired, you're not an FFL03. Therefore....

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#surrender-bound-book

trautert
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Shred them if you like, but the info might come in handy for you later. No requirement to keep any records once you are no longer a licensed collector, though, as already mentioned.

I've done this three times now.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Some C&R collectors will let their license lapse every few years so that they can shred their books and start fresh a few months later. Anything that you have prior to your C&R doesn't have to be entered into your bound book. I rarely order any C&Rs anymore, but I keep mine for the discounts at Midway, Grafs, and elsewhere. I don't really need any more shotguns or rifles, and handguns have to go to a 01 FFL anyway. So my bound book hasn't really grown lately.

Paul S
01-09-2011, 3:59 PM
Thanks gang...I learned good stuff today.... :)