PDA

View Full Version : Henry Lever Action .22?

subrosa
01-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi All,

I have been itching for a lever action and maybe a revolver in 22lr for plinking.

I ran into the Henry rifle in a Cabela's catalog and it looked rather fun, and it was priced right around the 250-300 mark.

Anyone ever shot one or even seen them for sale in California?

surfNshoot
01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
I've shot my friends. He'll be here shortly to report I'm sure. I thought it was a nice shooter. Calling USMCCHET??

NRAhighpowershooter
01-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I've had mine for about 2 yrs now... my only complaint is that they should have blued the receiver rather than powder coated it....my next lever gun will be the golden boy.

subrosa
01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I've had mine for about 2 yrs now... my only complaint is that they should have blued the receiver rather than powder coated it....my next lever gun will be the golden boy.

Is everything metal? or have they gone all "10/22" on it? I am thinking maybe a vintage one would fit the bill.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Is everything metal? or have they gone all "10/22" on it? I am thinking maybe a vintage one would fit the bill.

it's all metal... nothing plastic on a Henrys

SoCal Bob
01-08-2011, 11:13 PM
The older H001's had a polymer barrel band and front sight, the newer ones are metal. Great guns with a lifetime warranty and a great service department to back it up. They are made in America and use American Walnut for wood.

The only question you will have about it is why you didn't buy one sooner.

speeedracerr
01-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I just picked one up last month from "OLD WEST GUNS" in the City of Industry and I love it a lot!!! Its definitely quality built and doesnt feel cheap at all. You should consider getting one, you won't regret it.

subrosa
01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I just picked on up last month from "OLD WEST GUNS" in the City of Industry and I love it a lot!!! Its definitely quality built and doesnt feel cheap at all. You should consider getting one, you won't regret it.

Anyone ever seen one in the south bay area? :D

Has anyone been to a store which has a bit of a cowboy action slant? I love the tactical stuff, but it would be fun to hold some classics.

Anyone know what the MSRP is? I know it wont be the 259 I see in the Cabela's catalog.

SoCal Bob
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Here is the link to find a Henry dealer:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/henry-dealer-search.cfm

It wouldn't hurt to post a WTB in the Marketplace forum, I see them listed every now and again.

PutTogether
01-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Henry lever .22s are almost TOO smooth, if such a thing is possible. There is no satisfying "click clack" when you work the action. You can't even tell you are chambering a round.

The damn things are like a swiss watch. Very, very nice.

quaildog1
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Henry's also come in .17hmr!

speeedracerr
01-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Has anyone been to a store which has a bit of a cowboy action slant? I love the tactical stuff, but it would be fun to hold some classics.

Anyone know what the MSRP is? I know it wont be the 259 I see in the Cabela's catalog.

If you dont mind driving to City of Indusry, Old West Guns has a few selection of Cowboy action type guns.

Actually when I checked the Henry website, that is where I found them as Authorized dealers. The rifle cost me $289.00 and they have 60 days layaway available.

rojocorsa
01-09-2011, 1:02 AM
I thinks it's so weird/ironic how they are made in in the middle of NYC (Brooklyn).

usmcchet9296
01-09-2011, 7:26 AM
I have a Henry Frontier
got it at Gun World in Burbank
a little over priced as is everything there but its a great gun, accurate, smooth as butter, and just good old cowboy fun to shoot
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/4945679876_21f1be4380.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/4945679876/)
Henry 22 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhermesmeyer/4945679876/) by usmcchet92_96 (http://www.flickr.com/people/jhermesmeyer/), on Flickr

Danielp59
01-09-2011, 8:28 AM
I have one and love it. The fit and finish are excellent. Very accurate fun gun to shoot. I got mine from Turners for 330. If you get one you won't be disappointed.

caldude
01-09-2011, 8:49 AM
I've got two - one in 22LR and one in 22Mag. Both are great guns. I probably shoot the 22LR more than any of my other rifles. Any gun store should be able to order one, or check out Gallery of Guns. After getting a quote from my local gun store, GofG had a better price, delivered to the same store.

Number Six
01-09-2011, 9:37 AM
Here is the link to find a Henry dealer:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/henry-dealer-search.cfm

It wouldn't hurt to post a WTB in the Marketplace forum, I see them listed every now and again.

Those look fun. Having just looked at them today for the first time I'm already thinking of getting one. What is the deal with the 10+ magazine? Are they "plugged" in California? or because it is fixed it can be 10+?

SoCal Bob
01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Those look fun. Having just looked at them today for the first time I'm already thinking of getting one. What is the deal with the 10+ magazine? Are they "plugged" in California? or because it is fixed it can be 10+?

Tube feds are exempt from the 10 round limit.

maddoggie13
01-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Great trigger on my H001...

PutTogether
01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Tube feds are exempt from the 10 round limit.

Tube fed .22's are exempt, or tube fed lever actions of centerfire caliber are exempt. Both .22 caliber, AND lever actions are specifically mentioned in the penal code.

Strange that it seems like you could have a tube fed, semi auto, 17 round .22, but not an 11 round, pump action, .357/.30-30/.308 etc. Lever action though, GTG. The SASS guys must have had a hand in the drafting of the law.

(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
firearm.

Izzy43
01-09-2011, 1:20 PM
Tublar magazines were exempted from the 10 round rule probably because of the re-load time involved with a tube mag versus a box mag. That said, if you can't get em with 17 shots then you probably shouldn't own a gun.

bssybeep
01-09-2011, 9:53 PM

I just picked up my Golden Boy from Kerley's in Cupertino a few days ago. Took my 15-22 and Henry to Reed's. 200 flawless rounds through my 15-22 and 90 through the Henry. A fun 2 hours;)

870JG10/22
01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Actually my dad just picked up a "used" Henry Lever action hasnt got it yet due to the waiting period but I cycled the action very nice but I do like Brownings lever action only 35 degrees of ratchet dont even need to take your hand off the trigger like you do with the Henry but the Brownings more pricey compaired to a Henry. Barnwood Arms in Ripon CA has that cowboy feel to what they've got in stock. Ripon is Past Manteca on 205 I think it is till it hits 99 then take 99 south and its right on main street but if you get to Ripon be on your best traffic manners Ripon cops respond in full force for a CA rolling stop or Jay walking hahahaha.