PDA

View Full Version : Tokarev ammo magnetic

matrix
01-08-2011, 6:57 PM
I got a spam can of Polish 7.62x25mm surplus ammo. These comes in 70 rounds a pack. The casing is brass, the bullet look like copper plated but the bullet's core seem to be some sort of metal as it attracts a magnet.

What gives. I though Tokarev surplus ammo were supposed to be non magnetic. Do indoor/outdoor range allow these kind of ammo?

Fate
01-08-2011, 6:58 PM
Yugoslavian 7.62x25 is non-magnetic. Other surplus generally is magnetic.

iareConfusE
01-08-2011, 7:01 PM
Yep, you got the wrong stuff. The Yugo is the shiny stuff that isn't magnetic.

z-bob
01-08-2011, 7:04 PM
Outdoor ranges won't care. Indoor ranges probably won't like you shooting the stuff. (mostly likely it has a lead core and copper-washed steel jacket)

iareConfusE
01-08-2011, 7:13 PM
Outdoor ranges won't care. Indoor ranges probably won't like you shooting the stuff. (mostly likely it has a lead core and copper-washed steel jacket)

From what I've seen, outdoor ranges are the only ones that care if it's steel core ammo. Potential fire hazard if it strikes a rock and sparks. Indoor ranges usually have ballistic backstops with media in front of them. The steel core won't spark the media. I've been shooting steel core rifle ammo at the indoor range for a while now.

Spiggy
01-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Jackets can be bimetal composition with a copper wash. The material will still attract a magnet.

gasol1ne
01-09-2011, 12:46 AM
the yugo surplus is not magnetic, but they do have harder primers than the polish stuff. I had a lot of light-strikes on my old cz-52 when i used the yugo ammo. It wasnt such a big deal in the range (range had a one shot per second rule), just recock the hammer and fire again. It always shot the second hit.

Rekrab
01-09-2011, 6:25 AM
All my indoor ranges don't seem to care. I asked about it at one range and their response was "We don't care, hell you could shoot .308 but we don't like rifle calibers making all that noise." And at my other indoor range they straight up told me I could use steel core even for rifle rounds.