PDA

View Full Version : my first mosin

01-08-2011, 4:48 PM
I purchased a mosin nagant from big 5 and get to pick it up tuesday, I am just wondering if there is anything I should do before firing it? I know to clean the cosmoline out if it and a friend of mine recomended using lighter fluid to clean all the cosmoline out. Is there anything else that a I should check or inspect before firing?

thanks in advance

NYY
01-08-2011, 5:27 PM
Same. getting mine tuesday as well. Advice would be nice.. but Ive read everywhere...nothin new that i dont know for me

semperfidelis354
01-08-2011, 5:30 PM
If you have or know someone who has headspace gauges you should probably get them.

SoCal Bob
01-08-2011, 5:40 PM
Congrats on your purchase. You will probably want to take the bolt apart to check for cosmoline, here is a link to a great Youtube video showing how to disassemble & reassemble it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9byqFz3p04

7.62x54R.net is another great resource for the Mosin. Make sure you check the height of the firing pin when you reassemble it, too short and no boom, too long and pierced primer.

finloq
01-08-2011, 7:32 PM
I would stick with mineral spirits to clean the metal, of course, I smoke cigars...

Rem222
01-08-2011, 8:00 PM
Besides the headspace check the firing pin protrusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLE-tbpVR-A

mauser98k
01-09-2011, 8:42 AM
i'm never worried about headspace on Mosins. if the bore is good and the bolt matches the receiver you're more than likely not going to have a problem.

also, if it was imported by Century Arms Intenational, they headspace check everything they have before they sell them. ones that fail aren't sold. i asked them that question and that's what they told me.

01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
thanks for the info

thepunisher
01-09-2011, 3:39 PM
If you google cosmoline removal you will get tons of info. I boiled hot water stuck the bolt
and misc metal parts in a coffee can and pour water on top. Let it soak for a little while
pulled everything out and wiped down with paper shop towels. I used oil to wipe down the
parts to prevent rusting.

paul0660
01-09-2011, 3:43 PM
if it was imported by Century Arms Intenational, they headspace check everything they have before they sell them.

This is true.

I use regular unleaded to clean new to me rifles, outside. Lighter fluid is expensive kerosene, which will also work. Unless the stock is heated somehow, it will likely bleed cosmo for years, but it's not a big deal.

TNP'R
01-09-2011, 4:07 PM
i have mosinitus, i have 2 of them but i want another! and after i get that one i'll want another, i can't get enough of these cheap rifles.

Stryfe76
01-09-2011, 4:08 PM
I take a can of brake cleaner to all of the metal and I always run Hoppes soaked patches through the bore to get out any copper fouling that seems to always be in there.

I use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol on the wood just a quick wipe down to get the surface cosmo off. Test in an unseen area to make sure it won't do anything weird to the finish. I believe DA dissolves shellac so I don't use it on my comblock guns but works well for crusty Mausers to get some goop off.

Re-oil all of the metal parts. I've used CLP/Remoil If i will be shooting it soon, or motor oil if it's going to be awhile.

johnthomas
01-09-2011, 4:17 PM
http://surplusrifle.com/russianmosin189130/index.asp
If you decide you want to scope it, change the stock or any mods, make sure you ask in the forums before spending your money.

finloq
01-09-2011, 4:49 PM
i'm never worried about headspace on Mosins. if the bore is good and the bolt matches the receiver you're more than likely not going to have a problem.

also, if it was imported by Century Arms Intenational, they headspace check everything they have before they sell them. ones that fail aren't sold. i asked them that question and that's what they told me.

And the Soviets headspaced them, when they refurbed them and arsenaled them in the 60's and 70's. They haven't been fired since, just waiting in reserve for the big one...WWIII.

TNP'R
01-09-2011, 5:09 PM
And the Soviets headspaced them, when they refurbed them and arsenaled them in the 60's and 70's. They haven't been fired since, just waiting in reserve for the big one...WWIII.

Also if you bought one at big5 and if you shot it and it blew up on you or whatever i'd think that they could be held liable.

Interloper
01-09-2011, 5:17 PM
This is true.

I use regular unleaded to clean new to me rifles, outside. Lighter fluid is expensive kerosene, which will also work. Unless the stock is heated somehow, it will likely bleed cosmo for years, but it's not a big deal.

Man, I'm not trying to jump on you anything but using gasoline as a cleaner is very dangerous.

laika
01-09-2011, 5:19 PM
Only problem I have with big 5 mosins is sometimes sticky bolt. Clean the receiver chamber area really well - once you start shooting, cosmoline will leak out from places you never knew existed and you'll clean again when done of course; the headspace/clearance issues have been nonexistent for me so far.

Congrats to both of you on your first (not last) Mosins!

Anchors
01-09-2011, 5:35 PM
I check the firing pin protrusion and work the bolt a few hundred times after cleaning to really get it going.
If it is even a little bit sticky cold once you start firing it it will really jam up.
Mine was completely smooth from working it and once I started shooting it it got harder to work the bolt, but not too hard.

samspade77
01-10-2011, 10:39 PM
The first thing I'd recommend is to thoroughly clean off the cosmoline. It took me numerous hours, many cans of brakes cleaner, oven cleaner, blood, sweat, and tears.

pingpong
01-11-2011, 2:26 AM
For the bolt I just take it apart and drop it into a pot of boiling water, and stir it around a bit. Same with the magwell. All the cosmoline will melt right off and float to the top of the water. Plus you don't have to dry the parts; they metal is hot enough to dry itself.

For the barrel, I pour a bunch of how water down the pipe to get rid of the cosmo, and finish it up with some liberal amount of CLP. For the receiver I have one of those handheld steam cleaners that I use to get into all the nooks and crannies (there's usually quite a bit of cosmo in the rear sights).

For one of my Mosins I used a hairdryer to heat up the stock for the cosmo to sweat out. It took forever, and a lot did come out, but each time I take it to the range I still find more that comes out after firing the gun for a while.

For my other Mosins I've done the ol' oven cleaning + sanding + restaining trick. Some people will cry foul about ruining the historical value of the gun, but I just want a nice looking Mosin. There are millions more around that can be bought if I wanted to retain the original finish.

Divernhunter
01-11-2011, 4:37 AM
I used good old fashion solvent we used for car parts cleaning and spray brake cleaner on the metal. I did mix some gas with it but I do my work outside and do not smoke. Never had a problem. I soaked the bolt in it and blew it out with air several times as well as doing so with brake clean spray. I buy it by the case cheap. I wiped down the stocks with solvent. In the summer I put them in a black garbage bag once I wrap them in paper and reg towels. Then put them in the sun prefer to put them in a car/truck on the dash with the window rolled up while parked. That sweats the stuff out of them quite well. I have done 5 M44's, 1 M38, and 6 M90/31's with not a problem.

IF you get a sticky bolt when it warms up then take a wire brush that is big enough to fit the chamber and use solvent and a drill to clean the chamber from the laquer build up.

Have fun with the new rifle.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-11-2011, 6:23 AM
I purchased a mosin nagant from big 5 and get to pick it up tuesday, I am just wondering if there is anything I should do before firing it? I know to clean the cosmoline out if it and a friend of mine recomended using lighter fluid to clean all the cosmoline out. Is there anything else that a I should check or inspect before firing?

thanks in advance

If you truly care to honor the spirit of the Mosin you must never forget the sacrifices of the Great Motherland War and the courage of the Soviet soldier.

When you bring the rifle home for the first time you must use the bayonet and your helmet to dig a fighting trench at your front door. You may cover the trench with evergreen branches and snow if available. Then you must spend the night in your fighting trench without a jacket or blanket, just shirt sleeves. If you have a comrade to keep watch with you (also dressed in shirtsleeves) you may watch in turns and sleep if you can. In the morning you may refresh yourselves from the garden hose if it is not frozen. You must journey to the firing range in the back of an open pickup truck (or preferably, walk) and may not break your fast until you have fired your weapon.

It is not necessary to find a Nazi or the image of a Nazi to shoot. This is just silly superstition. Screaming "Rodina!" or "for Comrade Stalin!" just before you fire is certainly welcomed.

johnthomas
01-11-2011, 1:02 PM
I don't own a Mosin with the original finish on it. Orange oil based stripper works great on the finish as well and the cosmo. I use the spray foamy stripper. I don't use sand paper, after a half hour or so I scrub the wood with 0000 steel wool, nylon brush and warm water. I dry it with a hair dryer and do it again, sometimes 3 times. I dry with the dryer again and let it set overnight. I use steel wool again to make it is smooth. I stain with birchwood casey stain and use the steel wool again. Then I use birchwood casey tru oil which is more varnish than oil. I put about 15 coats using 0000 steel wool after every coat and a good brushing for dust. This many coats will fill a lot of bad spots in the wood and gives a glass like finish. It takes a lot of time, but it is worth it.

someR1
01-11-2011, 1:12 PM
^^a better method is Rit-Dye. My ak47 stock looks IMMACULATE .....

01-11-2011, 6:09 PM
Pick it up In an hour

paul0660
01-11-2011, 6:22 PM
Man, I'm not trying to jump on you anything but using gasoline as a cleaner is very dangerous.

Cheap, works great, dangerous. That is how things are sometimes. I am very careful, and have a big back yard.

01-11-2011, 9:32 PM
Cleaned it with simple green

Stryfe76
01-11-2011, 9:45 PM
^^a better method is Rit-Dye. My ak47 stock looks IMMACULATE .....

OK now we need to know what you've been doing with the dye :43:

Interloper
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Cheap, works great, dangerous. That is how things are sometimes. I am very careful, and have a big back yard.

Oh I hear ya. Used it many times myself. I just remember as a teenager getting chewed out by my dad's mechanic buddy when he saw me cleaning engine parts with gas. He had some kind of spontaneous combustion incident that left his hands horribly burned. Not a pretty sight.

01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/96232/19273194.jpg

01-12-2011, 11:41 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/96232/afa5768c.jpg

TRICKSTER
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
If you truly care to honor the spirit of the Mosin you must never forget the sacrifices of the Great Motherland War and the courage of the Soviet soldier.

When you bring the rifle home for the first time you must use the bayonet and your helmet to dig a fighting trench at your front door. You may cover the trench with evergreen branches and snow if available. Then you must spend the night in your fighting trench without a jacket or blanket, just shirt sleeves. If you have a comrade to keep watch with you (also dressed in shirtsleeves) you may watch in turns and sleep if you can. In the morning you may refresh yourselves from the garden hose if it is not frozen. You must journey to the firing range in the back of an open pickup truck (or preferably, walk) and may not break your fast until you have fired your weapon.

It is not necessary to find a Nazi or the image of a Nazi to shoot. This is just silly superstition. Screaming "Rodina!" or "for Comrade Stalin!" just before you fire is certainly welcomed.

Don't forget to pee down the barrel when your done shooting to wash out the corrosive salts.

Bob Ragen
01-28-2011, 8:54 PM
I bought my first rifle last monday. Mosin-Nagant 91/30. I pick it up next Friday. WooHoo! They sound like a lot of fun. I'll didn't check the markings when I bought it, so when I get it home I'll try and figure out where it was made. The Mosin sites are very helpful.

Volksgrenadier
01-29-2011, 8:16 PM

This is no mere superstition! Doing so will check headspace, recrown the muzzle, and remove cosmoline all at the same time!

Anchors
01-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Don't forget to pee down the barrel when your done shooting to wash out the corrosive salts.

I laughed out loud at this.
Mostly because it would actually work really really well considering the warm nature and ammonia content of urine.

Well played. New sig.

mauser98k
01-30-2011, 9:14 AM
I laughed out loud at this.
Mostly because it would actually work really really well considering the warm nature and ammonia content of urine.

Well played. New sig.

urine is an oxidizing agent. it'd rust the bore

devilinblack
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
urine is an oxidizing agent. it'd rust the bore

So would the windex that a lot of people use. The point is to wash away the corrosive salts (if you're using cheap surplus ammo) and then oil it. Just peeing down the barrel would not be enough!

Hoppes #9 is even better, but more expensive than urine or windex.

finloq
01-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm waiting for a: "My arm's not long enough." joke here. :50:

rojocorsa
01-30-2011, 11:17 AM

In my experience, putting Hoppes 9 down the bore of a 98K after shooting 196gr Yugo surp did not actually remove the potassium chloride(?) [the salts].

However, hot water----->drying out (with boresnake)----->Motor oil....that works just fine.

Anchors
01-30-2011, 5:18 PM
So would the windex that a lot of people use. The point is to wash away the corrosive salts (if you're using cheap surplus ammo) and then oil it. Just peeing down the barrel would not be enough!

Like I said.
Pee is the clear winner.
I will definitely be peeing down all my bores when shooting surplus.
Then when I get home I'll run a few patches down the pipe and then clean as normal.

Plus it will make me feel more intimate with my rifle.
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. My rifle is my lover. You can take it if you want, but I already peed in the chamber and barrel. It is marked for life."

finloq
01-30-2011, 5:26 PM
Like I said.
Pee is the clear winner.
I will definitely be peeing down all my bores when shooting surplus.
Then when I get home I'll run a few patches down the pipe and then clean as normal.

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. My rifle is my lover. You can take it if you want, but I already peed in the chamber and barrel. It is marked for life."

Put down the beer, Ryan. :p

Stryfe76
01-30-2011, 8:21 PM

I love my Mosin Nagants as much as the next guy but apparently some of us love them just a little bit more than the rest.

Interloper
01-30-2011, 8:32 PM
Now we know where sticky-bolt syndrome comes from. :eek:

indobos72
01-30-2011, 8:42 PM
Okay, now that were done with p**ing and whatever else in the barrel. What would be the best way to clean the barrel? I got a 1926 tula dragoon and the Barrel looks like it has some old residue near the chamber end of the barrel. Should I run a standard bore brush with cleaner? Or do I go for the other methods to remove the cosmoline first then do a bore scrubbing? Any help appreciated as I am very excited about getting this cleaned up but want to preserve the age and quality of the finish. Thanks