PDA

View Full Version : Who sells 30-06 in M1 Garand clips

kurac
08-08-2006, 2:32 PM
I just bought my first Garand and want to get some ammo on hand for when it comes out of the penalty box, Is there a good source for Mil-surp ammo that comes with the 8 round Garand clips?

grammaton76
08-08-2006, 2:35 PM
If you're anywhere near Ammobros, I think they have some Korean surplus on Garand clips...

Ubergeek
08-08-2006, 2:39 PM
I'd buy the Greek ammo from CMP:

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=407-CASE

I recall reading that some of the Korean stuff uses corrosive primers.

rorschach
08-08-2006, 2:40 PM
If you're anywhere near Ammobros, I think they have some Korean surplus on Garand clips...

+1 pretty good stuff too, I think it was made by PMC.

ocabj
08-08-2006, 3:03 PM
Greek HXP from the CMP all the way.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/greek_hxp62_4008

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/greek_hxp67_1104

M. Sage
08-08-2006, 6:46 PM
I'd buy the Greek ammo from CMP:

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=407-CASE

I recall reading that some of the Korean stuff uses corrosive primers.

Eh, so it's corrosive. Clean with water, then solvent and oil.

kurac
08-08-2006, 7:13 PM
Thanks guys, do you have to be a member to order from the CMP, is it a pia otherwise or are they easy to deal with?

Josh
08-08-2006, 7:19 PM
Thanks guys, do you have to be a member to order from the CMP, is it a pia otherwise or are they easy to deal with?

Very easy to deal with. You need to be a member of some affiliated club to buy items but no need for the meeting the marksmanship criteria if you not buying a rifle.

Ubergeek
08-08-2006, 8:28 PM
Very easy to deal with. You need to be a member of some affiliated club to buy items but no need for the meeting the marksmanship criteria if you not buying a rifle.

The CRPA is one such affiliated club - and you can sign up online!

http://www.crpa.org/

Help our cause in CA, get goodies from the CMP, and swell reading to boot!

kurac
08-08-2006, 10:52 PM
What about the Korean surplus stuff they have at cheaperthandirt.com?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
That stuff is the "KA" headstamped Korean surplus. It OK ammo, but it's corrosive primed. You would need to clean your rifle, including the gas system, with a water based cleaner as soon as you are done shooting.

The Greek ammo from the CMP is a much better deal.

If you don't want to go that route, then you might be better off buying some of the non-corrosive "PS" headstamped Korean surplus in 20 round boxes.

kurac
08-09-2006, 6:25 AM
I am not worried about corrosive ammo, I am going to clean the gun after firing anyway.

Windex seems to do the trick for the wet clean and then drying it out and using oil based solvents for the final clean has kept my stuff from rusting.

chiefcrash
08-09-2006, 6:50 AM
I got some of the Korean corrosive stuff from cheaperthandirt.com. It's alright. nothin' to write home about.

why do you need it packaged in M1 clips? Don't have any, or just kinda lazy (like me)? You can get ammo a lot cheaper if you buy loose rounds and pack 'em into clips yourself

kurac
08-09-2006, 7:56 AM
This M1 is my first 30-06, I have no clips, no ammo and no reloading dies or components for it. Hell, I don't even know how to take the thing apart yet.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-09-2006, 7:59 AM
Do yourself and your Garand a favor.. get Scott Duff's book 'The M1 Garand Owners Guide' excellent book for a newbie.

chiefcrash
08-09-2006, 8:12 AM
This M1 is my first 30-06, I have no clips, no ammo and no reloading dies or components for it. Hell, I don't even know how to take the thing apart yet.

ah, ok. if you don't have any clips, buying surplus packed in en bloc clips is a pretty good way of getting clips and ammo (two birds, one stone kinda thing). after you stack up a good number of clips (and you will) though, buy loose rounds and load the clips yourself.

if you're into shooting matches, you might wanna pick up a 2-round garand clip. makes the rapid fire phase a lot easier, and they're only like $5

the CMP website and surplusrifle.com has disassembly instructions for the M1 Garand, just so you know ;-)

kurac
08-09-2006, 8:20 AM
You guys are onto me now.

Two birds with one stone is what I had in mind. I'll be interested to find out how it shoots before I even begin to consider any kind of matches.

ocabj
08-09-2006, 8:36 AM

In that case, get the Greek HXP in boxes but get USGI enblocs from ebay or some other source. You don't want the Greek HXP clips for reuse. They seem to work fine as is out of the can, but when you try to reload them using LC or other .30-06 ammo, the clips don't seem to fit the rifles. There's a few on going threads on the CMP forums about this issue.

I buy the Greek HXP in boxes for myself, but buy the Greek HXP in enblocs for my dad so it's easier for him to shoot his Garand at the range and it's only 1 cent a round more.

phish
08-09-2006, 8:43 AM
Since your location is "peninsula", I'll assume it's here in the Bay Area. You can try SJGE, they've got Korean surplus in enbloc clips ready to go. They could be out, hopefully xenophobe can confirm on here, or you can call them.

I've got my Duff book on order. The Kunhausen shop manual is great for detailed stuff, but Duff's book is an easier read to get up to speed.

xrMike
08-09-2006, 9:33 AM
I bought a bunch of enblocs from a guy on the CMP discussion forum. I think he sent me like 50 of them for $10 plus shipping. There are plenty for sale on Ebay too.

Ting! Love that sound.

xenophobe
08-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Since your location is "peninsula", I'll assume it's here in the Bay Area. You can try SJGE, they've got Korean surplus in enbloc clips ready to go. They could be out, hopefully xenophobe can confirm on here, or you can call them.

Very limited, like a couple of bandaliers left. I can't find any more Korean 30-06, it appears to be close to dried up. Hopefully some more will come in soon. I haven't shot any, but it is reported to be really good stuff, but as has been pointed out, it's mildly corrosive. Not to be confused with full out corrosive ammo. Some Hoppe's Benchrest would do the job just fine.

As for the windex, that will certainly kill the corrosive element, but the ammonia isn't necessarily the best thing for a bore either, so clean that out instead of letting it dry.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-09-2006, 9:06 PM
...but as has been pointed out, it's mildly corrosive. Not to be confused with full out corrosive ammo.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif

Be sure to clean it mildly.

chiefcrash
08-10-2006, 7:36 AM
but as has been pointed out, it's mildly corrosive. Not to be confused with full out corrosive ammo

there's no such thing as "mildly corrosive". it's either corrosive or not. That's like saying "he's only mildly dead, officer"