PDA

View Full Version : "Iowans flock to sheriffs to apply for gun permits"

Paladin
01-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Highlights from: http://www.muscatinejournal.com/news/local/article_24119a14-1881-11e0-97ac-001cc4c002e0.html

* "Muscatine County Sheriff Dave White took a fairly lonely stand last year as one of only seven of Iowa’s 99 sheriffs to support" Shall Issue.

* “We were told that if we let this happen, we will lose some of our power,” White said. “I’ve been in law enforcement since 1973, and I didn’t get into it for the power. We get into this line of work because we want to protect people and see crime rates go down.”

* The new permit costs $50, or $25 to extend an existing permit. Applicants must be 21 and must prove they’ve completed a gun safety course offered by the Sheriff’s Office or any National Rifle Association-certified handgun instructor.

There’s a mandatory three-day waiting period, but in reality it takes the Sheriff’s Office about five days to process the paperwork, White said.

Former members of the military with an honorable discharge who received military small-weapons training needn’t take a gun-safety course, White said.

* Other sheriffs and police chiefs he talks to report a similarly smooth transition, he said.

“We haven’t heard any horror stories,” White said.

Paladin
01-08-2011, 1:07 PM
Highlights from: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110105/NEWS/101050350/-1/ENT05/Iowans-flock-to-sheriffs-to-apply-for-gun-permits

* Several Iowa sheriffs' offices reported receiving 10 to 20 times as many weapons permit applications on Monday as they do most days.

* The permits are popular because people can no longer be arbitrarily denied and because more people are eligible to teach the required training, said Sean McClanahan, president of the Iowa Firearms Coalition, formerly Iowa Carry.

* News reports have generated intense interest, Pierce said. Polk County Deputy Sheriff Jana Rooker agreed that publicity may have contributed to the run on the permit window.

Clerks worked through their lunch hours, and many stayed until 7 p.m. to process paperwork. Officials said they took in more than $15,000.

* Under the old law, some sheriffs were stingy about handing out weapons permits, while they were much easier to obtain in other counties.

* Jasper County Sheriff Michael Balmer said the new law changes the way he issues permits.

"We denied people a permit in the past if their only reason was that they wanted to carry a gun," he said. "If they couldn't come up with a reason, I wouldn't issue one.

* After some urging from the National Rifle Association, the Iowa Legislature last session approved the new law in an effort to standardize the way sheriffs issue permits.

A person with a permit to carry is allowed to carry a handgun, rifle or shotgun openly or concealed.

modls7
01-08-2011, 1:20 PM
Awesome! See here in CA, I never even THOUGHT of a rifle as a possibility for a concealed carry weapon.

EchoFourTango
01-08-2011, 1:26 PM
I like the fact that it is not any body that wants to. I understande that most people on this sight do not like control in any way but a little is better than none. Else you have to let the crazys and felons posses and carry concealed. Good for Iowa for standardizing the process and making it more feasable for ordinary people to protect them selves if they feel indanger.
And open or concealed carry on shot guns...now thet is just funny.

press1280
01-08-2011, 1:32 PM
Just go check the newpapers for every state that passed shall-issue right after it passed. The same story gets repeated over and over. "Wild West," and "Shootouts over parking spots," are the prediction. After a few years, you won't hear much about it.

707electrician
01-08-2011, 1:38 PM
* Under the old law, some sheriffs were stingy about handing out weapons permits, while they were much easier to obtain in other counties.

Sounds familiar

nicki
01-08-2011, 5:54 PM
Takes them 3 to 5 days to process the CCW permit.

Hell, if we had that in California, we would have our permit before we could pick up our new guns.:43:

Nicki

Werewolf1021
01-08-2011, 7:23 PM
I like the fact that it is not any body that wants to. I understande that most people on this sight do not like control in any way but a little is better than none. Else you have to let the crazys and felons posses and carry concealed. Good for Iowa for standardizing the process and making it more feasable for ordinary people to protect them selves if they feel indanger.
And open or concealed carry on shot guns...now thet is just funny.

It isn't exactly hard to conceal a weapon without a permit.... I could do it now if I didn't fear the consequences (misdemenor or felony). And generally criminals/crazy people are already breaking the law so why would they care about a permit.

Kid Stanislaus
01-08-2011, 8:19 PM
Awesome! See here in CA, I never even THOUGHT of a rifle as a possibility for a concealed carry weapon.

Yeah, I could see carrying my AR-15 under a long overcoat. It wouldn't take much of that and the thugs in mass transit would take to hitch hiking!;)

N6ATF
01-08-2011, 9:14 PM
I like the fact that it is not any body that wants to. I understande that most people on this sight do not like control in any way but a little is better than none. Else you have to let the crazys and felons posses and carry concealed.

We already do. It's called not having a police officer assigned to every felon and crazy person 24/7 to ensure they are not doing anything bad.

todd2968
01-08-2011, 9:38 PM
You'll never see it here unless they pass it Nationally