PDA

View Full Version : .22 Ammo in CA

M. Crane
01-08-2011, 1:17 PM
Went to my local WalMart day before yesterday to buy some .22 Winchester Super-X in the 100 plastic pack.
I said: "I'll take 4."
Clerk said: "You can only have 3."
"OK" I said becuase I was in a hurry.
Went yesterday to my local gun store, and purchased 500 rounds of Blazer in the brick for $17.95.
So... what's up with this is CA? I know there's some legislation coming down the pike in February... awful tired of being made to feel like a criminal for purchasing ammo...

Marsoc1
01-08-2011, 1:23 PM
i think wally world has its own policy about ammo purchases. My local one says im limited to 6 packs person per day.

M. Crane
01-08-2011, 1:30 PM
I worked at Wally World when ol' Sam was alive... I'm sure he's turning over in his grave with all this restrictive ammo crap.

M. Crane
01-08-2011, 1:39 PM
Anyone else remember when you could buy handguns at WalMart? Good times...

Helpful_Cub
01-08-2011, 1:48 PM
Its a store thing. Some times when my local Walmart gets low in stock or has a hot selling item they'll restrict how many get sold at a time. Like the UMC Mega-packs are a prime candidate. I just happen to know what of the employees care about said policy and which ones don't. I look for the less caring ones to open the cabinet for me They're happy because they know its the last time they have to open the cabinet until the new truck comes in. So I play to their laziness for my gain. :rolleyes:

870JG10/22
01-08-2011, 4:09 PM
Im 20 years old 12 days away from my 21st birthday. I went into Wal-Mart last night to buy ammo for this morning because I had planned to be at the range when it opened to get a good spot. It was around 10pm and they said they couldnt open the case to get ammo after 10pm but if it was on the shelf he could sell it to me there was no .22 Ammo on the shelf just shot gun ammo. So I went home and when I woke up this morning went to Wal-Mart to buy my ammo for the day the Federal .22 long Rifle bulk pack well the guy asked me for ID first off to buy the sharpie's I had grabed to mark my targets to make sure I was 18, Then told me I had to be 21 to buy "handgun ammo" It was for my rifle so luckly my dad had wanted to go shooting with me this morning and was in the truck he had to come in and show the guy his ID and then the cashier accepted me paying for it with my debit card. On top of that last weekend on the 1st I bought .22 Bulk pack Ammo from that same Wal Mart. Now seeing as how my dad was outside it wasnt to much of an inconvinence but still some MAJOR CRAP!!! He probably wouldnt have ID'ed me if I hadnt bought the sharpie now its getting a little rediculous with all this crap that I can buy a gun but can't buy the ammo. I can go to the military at 18 and die for my country but if I want to go shoot my .22 at a range I have to be 21.

Helpful_Cub
01-08-2011, 6:43 PM
Im 20 years old 12 days away from my 21st birthday. I went into Wal-Mart last night to buy ammo for this morning because I had planned to be at the range when it opened to get a good spot. It was around 10pm and they said they couldnt open the case to get ammo after 10pm but if it was on the shelf he could sell it to me there was no .22 Ammo on the shelf just shot gun ammo. So I went home and when I woke up this morning went to Wal-Mart to buy my ammo for the day the Federal .22 long Rifle bulk pack well the guy asked me for ID first off to buy the sharpie's I had grabed to mark my targets to make sure I was 18, Then told me I had to be 21 to buy "handgun ammo" It was for my rifle so luckly my dad had wanted to go shooting with me this morning and was in the truck he had to come in and show the guy his ID and then the cashier accepted me paying for it with my debit card. On top of that last weekend on the 1st I bought .22 Bulk pack Ammo from that same Wal Mart. Now seeing as how my dad was outside it wasnt to much of an inconvinence but still some MAJOR CRAP!!! He probably wouldnt have ID'ed me if I hadnt bought the sharpie now its getting a little rediculous with all this crap that I can buy a gun but can't buy the ammo. I can go to the military at 18 and die for my country but if I want to go shoot my .22 at a range I have to be 21.

You can shoot at the range all you want. You will just have a terribly hard time buying ammo... You think its bad now, just wait until the mandatory fingerprinting starts.

damoni
01-08-2011, 6:53 PM
Thats about the time I hop into my truck and drive to Nevada to get ammo!!

samspade77
01-08-2011, 7:37 PM
Like others said; it's a store policy. I usually go to Walmart for 12 gauge and .22 lr which don't have purchase limits. However, they do have a purchase limit on handgun ammo. Just my 2 cents.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Went to my local WalMart day before yesterday to buy some .22 Winchester Super-X in the 100 plastic pack.
I said: "I'll take 4."
Clerk said: "You can only have 3."
"OK" I said becuase I was in a hurry.
Went yesterday to my local gun store, and purchased 500 rounds of Blazer in the brick for $17.95.
So... what's up with this is CA? I know there's some legislation coming down the pike in February... awful tired of being made to feel like a criminal for purchasing ammo...

Welcome to CalGuns M. Crane!

AB962 is coming down the pike. February 1. Handgun ammo purchases will require ID and a thumbprint and seller keeping a record of the transaction for the police to look at.

There is a court challenge to the law, the decision has been promised by January 18th or a couple of days after. If that challenge fails to end the law there are two more court cases waiting to be filed once the law takes effect. Stay tuned.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/2009_-_AB_962_De_Leon%2C_Ammunition

rojocorsa
01-09-2011, 1:23 AM
I didn't know you had to be 18 to buy goddamn Sharpies. That sounds ridiculous.

Lol, last time I bought a ****-ton of .22 at the gun show, I didn't even get carded (I'm a young guy). That's the nice thing about cash...

Mssr. Eleganté
01-09-2011, 2:14 AM
Some ammo at Walmart is priced as a "loss leader". If they are running low on it then they might restrict the amount one person can buy. It is priced at a loss or low profit in order lure husbands into the store. Husbands buy a couple boxes of underpriced ammo while the wives buy $200 worth of plastic Chinese crap. Win/Win.

Danielp59
01-09-2011, 8:30 AM
The limit at my store is 6 boxes. However there has been some cases where I have bought 10. I guess it just depends on the person working there at the time of purchase.

Izzy43
01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
The limit at my store is 6 boxes. However there has been some cases where I have bought 10. I guess it just depends on the person working there at the time of purchase.

I always go at the same time during the day and the guy in the sports section knows me and lets me buy all I want, although I rarely buy more than 10 bricks at a time. I think once the folks at WM recognize you the limit thingy may go away. I also made a point of getting to know the guy so that probably helped. In the end I think they just like my money.

donw
01-09-2011, 3:43 PM
izzy43...you can always go to BJ's, the shootist or faith armory, too...

JaMail
01-09-2011, 3:48 PM
when the obama scare hit, and everyone was stockpiling they did it so a few people wouldnt buy it all and there would at least be something on the shelf.

my local wallymart has been stocked pretty good, and they have relaxed limits as of a couple months ago, however if people start hoarding again, i have no doubt they will put a 3 or 4 box limit.

i just take my wife with me, and in worst case scenario, i take my wife and friend.. and we just buy separately.

Izzy43
01-09-2011, 3:52 PM
izzy43...you can always go to BJ's, the shootist or faith armory, too...

What/where is BJ's? The Shootist usually only has 50 round boxes of .22 and Faith seems to really be overpriced and it's all bulk ammo. I can't ever find Wolf .22 ammo locally. I would prefer to support local businesses but the pricing keeps me away. Faith was selling a brick of Centurion for $30 when I can buy it on the web for $19. Just can't see paying that much of a price difference. Curious about BJ's though. Thanks for the info.

2DoorImpala
01-09-2011, 5:32 PM
I don't get ID'd. Just gotta look at them like you are going to punch them in the nuts

donw
01-11-2011, 5:58 AM
izzy43...BJ's Sporting Goods is on the corner of Juanita and E. Florida in downtown Hemet just down the hill from you. they also have a good selection of propellants and reloading supplies. they normally have a decent selection of bulk .22 rimfire, too.

Izzy43
01-11-2011, 7:34 AM
izzy43...BJ's Sporting Goods is on the corner of Juanita and E. Florida in downtown Hemet just down the hill from you. they also have a good selection of propellants and reloading supplies. they normally have a decent selection of bulk .22 rimfire, too.

Thanks, I pass by there frequently. I'll check it out.

jackandblood
01-11-2011, 7:37 AM
I asked an employee at Turner's whether he thinks ammo prices are going to rocket come feb. 1st. I tried to play ignorant. He mentioned the thumb print for handgun centerfire. Kinda avoided the part about whether it would get more expensive. He did say 22lr is a grey area and will likely continue to be availible on the shelves, rather than behind the counter as handgun ammo is now. Didn't address the price issue though.

pilote
01-11-2011, 9:18 AM
gotta do a roadtrip to AZ; find out where some good stores are that sell rimfire ammo at good prices...cabelas in glendale is the easy one...then i can get my AZ friend, (who comes in to CA often enough) to buy me a load of inventory and roll it in when they visit...will also make note of phoenix area gun shows; that would be a good reason for a roadtrip too...

bbguns44
01-11-2011, 9:24 AM
4 clicks of the mouse & the UPS truck will deliver thousands of rounds of ammo to
your door at a much cheaper price. Too late if you're not stocked already.

252yft
01-11-2011, 9:43 AM
What are you guys cryin about. This just happened to me last month at a Wallyworld.

Employee-Excuse me Sir, I need to see your ID.
Me-For what reason?
Employee-To verify your age.
Me- (laughing) Son, you just called me Sir and now you are asking to see my ID to verify that I am over what, over 18, 21 years old?
Employee-Yes Sir.
Me-Sure thing kid. Here you go.

jackandblood
01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
What are you guys cryin about. This just happened to me last month at a Wallyworld.

Me-For what reason?
Me- (laughing) Son, you just called me Sir and now you are asking to see my ID to verify that I am over what, over 18, 21 years old?
Employee-Yes Sir.

hahaha. Your 2nd comment was priceless.

infamous209
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
ill take a little stupidity from wally world, because most of the time they are way cheaper than anyone else. For instance Walmart cci mini mags 6.47, gun shop less than an 1/8th of a mile away 10 bucks.

waffmaster
01-11-2011, 1:39 PM
Some Walmart stores ask for ID ans some don't, maybe depends on the county or city. I thought that they were doing it to see people who are legally here could buy ammunition. It is kind of annoying but their prices are good, so sometimes i buy some there.

ptgarcia
01-11-2011, 2:19 PM
ill take a little stupidity from wally world, because most of the time they are way cheaper than anyone else. For instance Walmart cci mini mags 6.47, gun shop less than an 1/8th of a mile away 10 bucks.

Same thing in my area. $10 a box at Ammo Bros.

03fatboy
01-11-2011, 2:50 PM
Same thing in my area. $10 a box at Ammo Bros.

Wish Ammo Bros was cheaper. They have a good selection of CCI but you must pay a premium..... :mad:

Izzy43
01-11-2011, 2:50 PM
Some Walmart stores ask for ID ans some don't, maybe depends on the county or city. I thought that they were doing it to see people who are legally here could buy ammunition. It is kind of annoying but their prices are good, so sometimes i buy some there.

Don't think there is any requirement to be a resident to buy ammo. If there is its news to me. Never been carded to buy ammo in Ca, Az, New Mexico, Texas or Mo.

Ricky-Ray
01-11-2011, 3:39 PM
I just wished the Wallymart's that are closest to me would stock ammo. The 3 closest ones to me do not stock any ammo. :(

badduggy
01-11-2011, 4:35 PM
the salinas walmart asked me if the ammo was for a pistol or a rifle.

krag98
01-11-2011, 8:29 PM
I've bought .22 & .45 ammo at the North Bay Wal-Marts (Rohnert Park, Napa, and American Canyon), and never had any problem with ID. All the clerks I've talked to seem to be down on the new law and the extra work it'll require them to do.

Big E
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Me-For what reason?
Employee-Yes Sir.

:rofl: Priceless. I get the same thing sometimes when buying alcohol. One time I asked the lady at Albertson's if she was serious:confused:. After she checked my ID she asked why I asked if she was serious.....and she was dead serious when she asked that question. I just pointed out that it used to be only if you looked under 30, but that I thought the gray hair in my goatee (I'm bald on top) and the wrinkles might suggest that I'm of age. I guess she didn't concur. (No one would ever guess me under 30 I'm sad to say:(:confused:).

dfxjedi
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
You think its bad now, just wait until the mandatory fingerprinting starts.

Is the fingerprinting thing for rifle ammo or pistol ammo,or both?

Packy14
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
say goodbye to walmart ammo. its weeks away from disappearing from your memory.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-13-2011, 12:14 AM
say goodbye to walmart ammo. its weeks away from disappearing from your memory.

What if I make a secret Walmart Ammo video and hide it where I'll find it after the memory erasure? Or I could tattoo a reminder note on my body.

What other critical information has already been erased? How can we ever know??!!?

:eek::43::TFH:

ricardo
01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
my walmart dossent give me any trouble about the ammount of ammo i get

they did ask if my 22lr ammo i got was for a handgun or rifle

said rifle and they diddent say anything after lol

resident-shooter
01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
ONE of the wallies in my area only allows 6 boxes of any ammo to be sold per person. I went there with my GF last time so I could grab like 10 boxes of .22 and some buckshot. :D Otherwise I prefer to drive to Woodland or Elk Grove wallies. They always have stockpiles of ammo and no limits. The last time I went to EG I dumped close to $400 on ammo alone. The people in the store gave me veeeeeery funny looks when I dragged that heavy аss cart with me rofl

Eat Dirt
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM

I'll second that .
Good guys there ........

Been getting 'Stuff ' there for years / Nice gun counter too !!