PDA

View Full Version : Need FFL for 50 BMG ammo shipment?

WeThePeople
08-08-2006, 2:12 PM
According to Mike at Mitchell Manufacturing in Fountain Valley-CA, they have to ship 50 BMG ammo to an FFL in CA. They can't ship it to a house. Did I sleep through this "new law"?

Mitchell's had an ad in Shotgun News that lists 700gr rounds at $2.25 each. The link shown below does not show this special rate. The rate is attractive, but not the self-imposed shipping restriction.

http://www.mauser.org/ammunition/index.htm

ohsmily
08-08-2006, 2:14 PM
As a manufacturer, perhaps he is required to ship all ammunition to a dealer/retailer, not just .50BMG. But, if he is saying that ONLY 50 BMG ammo must go to an FFL, then he is full of it. It can be shipped directly to you.

WeThePeople
08-08-2006, 2:24 PM
I only asked about 50 BMG ammo. As I recall, they import the stuff from Eastern Europe.

bu-bye
08-08-2006, 5:08 PM
No thats BS. Even sportmans Guide will ship 50 BMG to your door. I say look for another vender.

GUNS4WORK
08-09-2006, 12:10 AM
If Your In So-cal I'll Do It For Free A Couple Of Times. Let Me Know. Chris Riverside, Ca.

WeThePeople
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
No thats BS. Even sportmans Guide will ship 50 BMG to your door. I say look for another vender.

Agreed. I've grown weary of fighting with useless self-imposed restrictions by vendors. There are other vendors that I'll use.

If You're In So-cal I'll Do It For Free A Couple Of Times. Let Me Know. Chris Riverside, Ca.

Thanks for the offer, Chris. However, I won't be doing business with MM. BTW, I assume you are Chris BSP.

Liberty Rules
08-09-2006, 6:08 PM
Sounds like someone who paid attention for about 10 seconds a couple of years ago, and then went to sleep.

When AB50 was first introduced, it included .50 BMG ammo restrictions. All mentions of ammo were stricken from the bill early in the amendment process. The final bill, as signed into law, includes ZERO restrictions on the ammo. This vendor is just plain wrong.

TKo_Productions
08-09-2006, 7:12 PM
Sounds like someone who paid attention for about 10 seconds a couple of years ago, and then went to sleep.

When AB50 was first introduced, it included .50 BMG ammo restrictions. All mentions of ammo were stricken from the bill early in the amendment process. The final bill, as signed into law, includes ZERO restrictions on the ammo. This vendor is just plain wrong.

+1

Good summary. :)

I'm still amazed at the misinformation that's abound. :(

Chaingun
08-10-2006, 7:19 AM

Except they quit shipping ammo to many parts of the Caliban if not all.

TKM
08-10-2006, 8:44 PM
I don't know about Mitchells Mausers policy at the moment, but I stub my toes on a great big pile of their 50BMG on a regular basis. Delivered to my door.

I am a member of the FCSA so maybe they like me best.

M. Sage
08-10-2006, 9:16 PM
Except they quit shipping ammo to many parts of the Caliban if not all.

Not to Pacifica. I got a shipment of ammo from SG last week.

gloxter
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
You might want to try www.ammoman.com out of New Jersey. I just picked up 150 rounds of Talon 50BMG ball remanufactured for $229.00 DELIVERED! Granted, it's just "plinking" ammo for me while I get used to the rifle and my new NightForce scope, but it's a great price, nonetheless.

It shipped right to my doormat via UPS.

On another note, when trying to buy BMG from Cheaper Than Dirt, all I got from their customer service department was basically, "we just prefer not to get involved"; though their rag succinctly states that 50BMG is banned in CA. Absolute stupidity. I've never ordered anything from CTD, nor will I ever.

Take a look at ammoman. Awesome prices on handgun ammunition, too, particularly Wolf for blasting. It's around $100 for 1,000rounds for 9mm (delivered).

Regards,

-gloxter

elsolo
08-11-2006, 1:13 PM
I tried to buy ammo from Mitchell's a couple years ago before I knew better. They wouldn't sell to me either. They are wholesale only, they just won't sell to you unless you are a distributor and have a tax ID#, and to do that you need an FFL on file with them. It's their busness decision, not because they don't understand the law.

I'm glad I didn't waste any money on their ammo:
Steel core bullets, can't be shot at many ranges around here.
Expensive for what it is, regular ball ammo.

I tried the Talon from AMMOMAN, the 150 rounds I got sucked. I chronoed it at 2200 ft/sec. It did donate decent brass to the press I finally bought, which is what you ought to do if you shoot a .50BMG, reload ammo for it.