PDA

View Full Version : Garrand M1 Detachable Magazine Kit?

The Brit
08-08-2006, 8:07 AM
Reading all the threads on AB 2728, I noticed a few folks making reference to a detachable magazine kit/modification for the Garrand M1. So, I have a couple of questions:

[1] Is there such a kit for the .30-06 Garrand M1 (ex-CMP)?
[2] What magazines does it use (standard M-14?)?
[3] Does the installation require machining or modification of the rifle that results in it being permanently 'altered'?
[4] Can anyone point me to someone who sells these kits?

Thanks in advance,

The Brit

Fjold
08-08-2006, 9:09 AM
I don't know if there is a kit but a standard M1A/M14 clip won't fit a 30.06 cartridge in it.

Ubergeek
08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I recall that there were several shops that used to do this sort of conversion to a M1 Garand:

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/garand_magazine_conversion.html

IIRC, the good folks at Fulton Armory seem pretty 'down' on this conversion (machining the receiver without proper heat treatment would seriously compromise the strength of the receiver, and a proper heat treatment of the receiver is either lost knowledge, or the proper tools are no longer available).

In short, just get a M14/M1A.

saki302
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Yep -why deface a perfectly functional and historical gun?

-Dave

The Brit
08-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Good point. If it's not easily doable, then I won't worry about it.

Ubergeek
08-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Just FYI, here's what Clint McKee has to say about the conversion:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1MagConv.htm

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Done many a time~ and I think the BM59 was the actual model made by some. There are still kits available but you'd be making an AW......:cool:

And as asked- WHY do it? Get yourself a M1A/M14 if ya' wanna rock;)

TMC
08-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Done many a time~ and I think the BM59 was the actual model made by some. There are still kits available but you'd be making an AW......:cool:

And as asked- WHY do it? Get yourself a M1A/M14 if ya' wanna rock;)

Wasn't the MB59 was a 308?

Anyway, parts and stock can be found here http://www.reesesurplus.com/

50 Freak
08-08-2006, 1:04 PM
Only conversion I'd want to do to a Garand is one that will let it take BAR mags.

If you plan to convert a Garand to a M14 box mag system. That's pretty dumb...just buy a M14. You'll be happier in the long run.

Course I kinda like that the 45-70 Garand conversion I saw recently.

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 1:18 PM
Wasn't the MB59 was a 308?

Anyway, parts and stock can be found here http://www.reesesurplus.com/

Yes~ the BM was a .308/7.62~or so I thought...... Short of pre-owning BAR mags to 2000 I dont know how one would make a BAR conversion possible:confused: I've known many to have stocked up on mags before the ban- but yet to have found one that did with BAR mags unless they already had one!

vf111
08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
as I planned to pick up an Ohio Ordnance SLR

chiefcrash
08-11-2006, 1:13 PM
There are still kits available but you'd be making an AW......:cool:

how would it be an AW? there's no evil features...

five.five-six
08-11-2006, 1:20 PM
-1 on doing a "Buba" on a wonderful rifle

jl1252
08-11-2006, 3:31 PM
how would it be an AW? there's no evil features...

The BM59 is listed in PC 12276 as an assault weapon....nice, huh?

jl1252

The Soup Nazi
08-11-2006, 3:37 PM
Wha-wha, why would you want to do that to a Garand? *Woody Allen impersonation* Ooh Gawd, oh no...

CALI-gula
08-11-2006, 5:23 PM
.308 ballistics are close to .30-06, and cost to convert even a beater Garand to mag-fed would equate to cost of buying a standard model Springfield Armory M1A, where the standard M1A would still likely be more accurate than the probable hack-job on the Garand.

However, I don't believe all old guns are beyond reproach or modification - just because it's old doesn't mean it is rare, valuable, collectible, or even all that great in it's original form. If I could easily convert an old beater Garand into mag-fed, I would do it; it's just not feasible, nor is it inexpensive, and not really safe. While I am not into "sporterizing" guns except on building great rifles on Mauser actions, updating technology for the fun of it on a gun that has little value, is not necessarily "bubba-ing" a gun. Many guns I have seen that people thought were "oh that's so collectible" were no more valuable than one or two good parts on the gun, that might fetch a few bucks on eBay as replacement parts. Simply, they were old, and junk.

By comparison to cars, customizing and dropping a 454 block/TH400 and 12-Bolt rear into a standard 170,000 mile beater 1969 Camaro, yanking the 6 cylinder, is not necessarily a big deal. It's just an old car. It's not an SS or a Yenko or some 20,000 mile showroom new find - it's just an old car.

Not every modification or adaptation to a certain beater example of a firearm, known to be made in the millions around the world, is injurious to the world supply of that particular model or to the value of that example. Hell, the added parts might even increase the value. If it suits you to "bubba" it, go ahead - just be sure to check numbers, details, production figures, etc., first.