PDA

View Full Version : Why is Surplus 30-06 M2 Ball Magnetic?

pro-nra
01-07-2011, 9:34 PM
Iíve always wondered why they are magnetic even though they are not AP. Is there a steel insert even on non AP rounds? I would think only the AP rounds would be magnetic. All my US of various head stamps (LC, TW, DEN etc) and Greek M2 ball are all magnetic.

Mac Attack
01-07-2011, 9:40 PM
Yes and I assume the reason is for penetration. Also, the military is not bound by the ridiculous rules of CA.

pro-nra
01-07-2011, 9:53 PM
AFAIK rifle AP ammos are okay in CA but not hand gun ammos is this correct?

Reductio
01-07-2011, 10:32 PM
AFAIK rifle AP ammos are okay in CA but not hand gun ammos is this correct?

Correct.

My understanding is that there's enough ferrous material in the jacket itself to cause mild magnetic attraction. It's still copper jacket / lead core.

Russ661
01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Copper coated steel jackets. No steel core. EXCEPT, IIRC, HXP 68 that came thru with pure copper or gilding metal jackets and was non-magnetic.

Mssr. Elegantť
01-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep, copper coated steel jackets. They used steel jackets because steel is cheaper than copper. Both copper jackets and copper washed steel jackets were approved for use on M2 Ball. At first they called M2 Ball with steel jackets "M2 Alternate Ball". This was during WWII when copper was needed for more important things. After a while they dropped the "Alternate" designation and you can find either type of jacket on M2 Ball, depending on the year and lot # of the ammo. My Lake City M2 Ball from 1966 has pure copper jackets, while my 1968 stuff has copper washed steel jackets. Both are lead core, which is M2 spec.

Alex$
01-08-2011, 8:12 AM
Yes and I assume the reason is for penetration. Also, the military is not bound by the ridiculous rules of CA.

No, they are bound by the even more ridiculous rules of the Hague Peace Conference and the Geneva Accords.

California still permits the use HP ammo.

Back to topic: the jacket has ferrous metal in it, (contains iron) it is still lead core.

Reductio
01-08-2011, 9:32 AM
No, they are bound by the even more ridiculous rules of the Hague Peace Conference and the Geneva Accords.

California still permits the use HP ammo.

And more important for this discussion... AP rifle ammo.

Sailormilan2
01-08-2011, 7:20 PM
M2 Ball on the left, resized (.311 to .308) 7.62x54 Russian on the right.

EricClay
01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Iíve always wondered why they are magnetic even though they are not AP. Is there a steel insert even on non AP rounds? I would think only the AP rounds would be magnetic. All my US of various head stamps (LC, TW, DEN etc) and Greek M2 ball are all magnetic.

This came from the old CMP forum. The original author of the image isn't known.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8324/sectioned150grainbullet.jpg

Eric