PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone keeps turning off

erik_26
01-07-2011, 9:12 PM
I use AT&T and have the Samsung Captivate Galaxy S. I use to never have any problems. Now the phone shuts off all the time. Fully charged. Had phone since Aug 2010. I baby it. I don't download a bunch of random apps.

Anyone else have this problem?

FreedomIsNotFree
01-07-2011, 9:54 PM
You need to perform a hard reset and see if that fixes the issue. Be sure to know your gmail user name and password so your contacts are backed up.

NorCal Einstein
01-12-2011, 9:27 AM
Just so happens I'm VERY familiar with the Samsung Captivate...

Unfortunately, this is a known problem with some Captivates, and AT&T has acknowledged the problem.

Press Release from AT&T
ID: myc_spt_iss_wid_sam_189047

Date Published: December 20, 2010
Manufacturer(s): Samsung
Model(s): i897 (Captivate)
Issue Type: Informational

Issue Summary

AT&T and Samsung are working together on a power off issue on the Samsung i897 Captivate. There is a small group of Samsung i897 Captivate devices which may experience power off when in standby mode. All devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should not have this issue. Most customers are not expected to see an issue, however the following IMEI range could potentially have the issue and AT&T and Samsung want to ensure these customers have the best possible experience and quickly address customer care inquiries should they arise:

IMEIs manufactured before November 6, 2010: 352982040855394 or lower - 5393, 5392, etc.

If customers reports that their device is powering off when in standby mode please assist them with exchanging their device.

SKU: 65187

Critical Must Know/Must Do

Customer/Embedded Base: If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device. Customers with the launch software version i897UCJF6 are more apt to have the standby power off issue. Meanwhile customers that have devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should have software version i897UCJH7 which fixes the Power Cycling related to SW issues.
Existing Product: All devices that were manufactured before November 6, 2010 have the potential to be affected.
New Product: Devices manufactured after November 6, 2010 should not experience this issue.
Distribution Center: No action necessary.
Channel Instructions

Company Owned Retail: Continue to sell through existing inventory. If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device.
Dealers: No action necessary.
National Retail: No action necessary.
Direct Fulfillment: Continue to sell through existing inventory. If a customer has the power off issue when in standby mode please exchange their device.
Customer Returns and Exchanges: Standard under 30-day returns are in effect for this issue.
Accountability/Responsibility

Distribution Centers: No action necessary.
Channels/Markets: Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures.
Returns Processing Center: Adhere to Standard Returns Processes.
Supply Chain: Please send questions or comments to SCM Product Advisory.

I've highlighted in bold the key take-away from that PR. Check your IMEI and it should fall within the range of troubled phones. If it does, get a warranty replacement from AT&T. There is no fix or patch for the shut-down problem :(

GrinderCB
01-12-2011, 8:46 PM
If its running Android 2.2 or higher make sure you don't run any task killers.

JDay
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
If its running Android 2.2 or higher make sure you don't run any task killers.

I've never had one of those shut my phone down, they are not needed though since Android was made to background apps when they're not in use.

erik_26
01-15-2011, 4:28 AM
Thanks for all that info NorCal Einstein.

I went to the AT&T store they told me I have to call a 1 800 number.

As for firmware...

I am on Anroid 2.1, I feel like the bait and switch was pulled when I bought the phone in August. Every month it is supposed to be the next month when Froyo will be available.

Plus Kies is a joke. Trying to get software for the computer is a PITA.....

Will be calling the number soon. Nothing better then setting the alarm clock only to have the phone shut off while you are sleeping.

NorCal Einstein
01-16-2011, 8:26 PM
I stopped waiting on the official 2.2 update a LONG time ago. I run custom 2.2 ROMs on my Captivate, and I've loved every minute of it.

Does your IMEI fall in the "troubled" range though?

Omil
01-16-2011, 8:27 PM
I use AT&T and have the Samsung Captivate Galaxy S. I use to never have any problems. Now the phone shuts off all the time. Fully charged. Had phone since Aug 2010. I baby it. I don't download a bunch of random apps.

Anyone else have this problem?

Try SprinT, you'll like it better!

The Electrician
01-16-2011, 8:29 PM
Sounds like your smart phone is not so smart, lol i have att and horrible service but no problems with the actual phone