PDA

View Full Version : Verizon to Announce iPhone on Jan. 11th

FreedomIsNotFree
01-07-2011, 7:51 PM
Well, it looks like all the speculation is about to end. I've known for quite some time that a Verizon iPhone was in the works, but mum was the word on any actual release date or specifications.

That just changed with Verizon's announcement today (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/verizon-iphone-announcement-coming-on-january-11/21378) that they will be holding an "event" on Jan. 11 at 11am. 1/11/11 at 11am.

It appears Gizmoto is NOT (http://gizmodo.com/5727934/the-verizon-iphone-will-be-announced-on-january-11) invited even though they have a long standing relationship with VZW. Apparently Steve Jobs still holds a grudge.

Personally, I will stick with Android, but this will definitely shake things up a bit for 2011, which looks to be an amazing year for wireless.

jkcerda
01-07-2011, 8:06 PM
meh, Ill keep my Droid X for now, I can almost bet they will cap the dataplan like ATT did :puke:

FreedomIsNotFree
01-07-2011, 8:33 PM
meh, Ill keep my Droid X for now, I can almost bet they will cap the dataplan like ATT did :puke:

Considering Verizon's recent move to lower the cost of data plans and limit overage costs, I don't believe that is likely.

dandechino
01-07-2011, 11:05 PM
This is all to the good.

jeep7081
01-08-2011, 7:13 AM
I bought the Motorola Cliq XT. It had droid 1.5 in it. No release on XT just the previous version "cliq". So, I "rooted" the phone and now it has Droid. Wife is much happier with Droid 2.1. We also went with the "Walmart" plan. $70 for two phones. Unlimted text, and talk! For data, we got a $10 card (no expiration date) and use wi-fi to avoid from using the card when we can (about 99% of the time). Couldn't be happier!!

mzimmers
01-09-2011, 9:12 AM
I'd just be happy if the f'n rates came down a bit, but I know that's not going to happen.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I'd just be happy if the f'n rates came down a bit, but I know that's not going to happen.

Verizon did recently reduce their rates for data. There is a new price point on data to the handset as well as mobile broadband tiers. And they capped the overage charges on mobile broadband to $10/GB.

CalBear
01-10-2011, 8:24 PM
I wonder if iPhone on Verizon will be 4G LTE or not. That would be huuuge if it were. LTE will be at least around 8-12 Mbps and can theoretically do 80 Mbps. It also penetrates buildings and trees very well. I doubt we'll see 4G until iPhone 5, though. If there's no 4G, I may wait.

JDay
01-10-2011, 11:50 PM
I wonder if iPhone on Verizon will be 4G LTE or not. That would be huuuge if it were. LTE will be at least around 8-12 Mbps and can theoretically do 80 Mbps. It also penetrates buildings and trees very well. I doubt we'll see 4G until iPhone 5, though. If there's no 4G, I may wait.

Everything I've seen points towards it being CDMA only. This is probably the reason Verizon is waiting until March to release their LTE Android phones, Apple doesn't want those killing their iPhone launch.

50CalAL
01-11-2011, 12:35 AM
If it's a LTE iPhone I'll give it some thought, but if not I'll totally pass. I'm holding out for the Moto Bionic or another dual-core LTE phone.

JDay
01-11-2011, 1:07 AM
If it's a LTE iPhone I'll give it some thought, but if not I'll totally pass. I'm holding out for the Moto Bionic or another dual-core LTE phone.

That's what I want to do but I lost my phone on NYE and don't know if I can wait until March to replace it.

pingpong
01-11-2011, 1:16 AM
Personally I'm more interested in what movement (if any) this announcement is going to have on VZ stock.

50CalAL
01-11-2011, 1:26 AM
That's what I want to do but I lost my phone on NYE and don't know if I can wait until March to replace it.

Ouch, that sucks, sorry to hear. I feel for you, I've lost many phones.

I try to keep my last phone (vs of ditching it, giving it away, etc) so I don't have to pay the deductible on the insurance if I'm close to my upgrade point (which really sucks now w/VZW's new upgrade policy).

The HTC Thunderbolt isn't too far away from release if you're willing to wait for that one.

JDay
01-11-2011, 1:52 AM
The HTC Thunderbolt isn't too far away from release if you're willing to wait for that one.

Yeah, March.

50CalAL
01-11-2011, 2:13 AM
Oh, sorry thought it was coming out sooner

Dezert_Tacoma
01-11-2011, 7:22 AM
Think that there will be a network overload with everyone and their mom coming to VZW to get the iphone?

GP3
01-11-2011, 7:53 AM
Think that there will be a network overload with everyone and their mom coming to VZW to get the iphone?

I hope it boosts ATT's network with everyone going to Verizon.

JDay
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Doubtful, Android based phones are not only selling faster than the iPhone, they have passed the iPhone in market share. Android has caused no degradation to Verizon's network quality.

http://www.techspot.com/news/41896-android-passes-iphone-in-the-us.html

61.5 million people in the US owned smartphones during the three months ending in November 2010, up 10 percent from the preceding three-month period. For the first time, more Americans are using phones running Google's Android operating system than Apple's iPhone, but RIM's BlackBerry is still in first place, according to comScore.

GP3
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I swear you work for Google, Jday.

You can't leave an iPhone thread alone without a sales pitch on Android.

Mr.Caketown
01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I swear you work for Google, Jday.

You can't leave an iPhone thread alone without a sales pitch on Android.

some people are just die hard Android fans... ive got friends like that

ty423
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Looks like release date is Feb10... I'm happy with my Droid X on Verizon network... It has some problems but so does Iphone. I don't know how many times I've gotten dropped calls with my friends on at&t network. Also busy signals around 5pm trying to get through.

some people are just die hard Android fans... ive got friends like that

There are ALOT more die hard iphone fans. you know...the same people who own ithis and ithat and paid a pretty penny for it. I'm actually proud I don't own ianything.

Loner
01-11-2011, 6:11 PM
I'm glad this got announced, so I can pick up a nice used Droid Incredible for cheap until the LTE phones drop.

50CalAL
01-11-2011, 7:54 PM
I think 90% of Android users will stay with Android. Most of the iPhone sales I think will come from customers switching over from other networks.

They'll all be locked in VZW's new upgrade policy for 2 years on that CDMA iPhone. That works for me because I'll be on the new Droid Bionic and LTE.

DiscoBayJoe
01-11-2011, 7:57 PM
Verizon's announcement is total Fail. No 4G/LTE. You wont be able to use the phone while surfing the web. This may sound trivial, but if you are used to talking to someone via bluetooth while sending/receiving email updates (I do this for tech support reasons) *OR* using your iPhone as a hotspot/tether, it wont work with the Verizon Model.

If they had announced an LTE phone with an Unlimited Data Plan, they would have had something. Today's annoucement was not compelling in the least.

eta34
01-11-2011, 9:13 PM
I currently have a droid x. Why would I want to get an iphone? Is it significantly different in function? I am looking for real answers, not fanboy diatribes.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-11-2011, 9:32 PM
Personally I'm more interested in what movement (if any) this announcement is going to have on VZ stock.

Interestingly, both VZ and AAPL went down today. Smart investors got in on these stocks a few weeks ago. Both have increased around 15%.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-11-2011, 9:37 PM
Verizon's announcement is total Fail. No 4G/LTE. You wont be able to use the phone while surfing the web. This may sound trivial, but if you are used to talking to someone via bluetooth while sending/receiving email updates (I do this for tech support reasons) *OR* using your iPhone as a hotspot/tether, it wont work with the Verizon Model.

If they had announced an LTE phone with an Unlimited Data Plan, they would have had something. Today's annoucement was not compelling in the least.

Verizon will have an authorized hot spot app in their iPhone. The existing ATT model does not. You may not find the VZW iPhone appealing, to each his/her own, but I can tell you for sure that millions of people do.

GP3
01-12-2011, 9:05 AM
I currently have a droid x. Why would I want to get an iphone? Is it significantly different in function? I am looking for real answers, not fanboy diatribes.

Keep your X. There's no reason to get an iPhone 4 if you've purchased an Android phone after/since the Nexus One. Unless, of course, you want to give it a try.

The iPhone is 'easier' to use, but it doesn't mean your Android won't do exactly what the iPhone does. Because it does do exactly what the iPhone does. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

The iPhone is just simplified. Too simple for some.

It's a matter of preference at this point. The technology in hand-held devices is pretty amazing. Apple, Google, or otherwise.

Quiet
01-15-2011, 9:35 AM

FYI...
Verizon will have the iphone 4 but it will be on their 3G network.
Apparently the iphone 4 does not work on Verizon's 4G LTE network.
Have to wait for the iphone 5 in order to operate on Verizon's 4G LTE network.

JDay
01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
FYI...

The iPhone 4 was never 4G.

Californio
01-15-2011, 5:35 PM
Judging the time frame I got 3G service I doubt I will see Verizon 4G until the end of 2013 or early 2014. Buy 3G iPhone in 2011 and at the end of the contract buy a 4G.

jkcerda
01-15-2011, 5:57 PM
FYI...

seems its better to wait till they can have the phones on the 4GLTE, I see no reason to "upgrade" now and "upgrade" again when 4G rolls around :kest:

FreedomIsNotFree
01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Early word is the iPhone 5 will have a quad band chip CDMA/GSM but no LTE. Only time will tell.

DiscoBayJoe
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Verizon will have an authorized hot spot app in their iPhone. The existing ATT model does not.

You are correct; However, That is easily "Fixed". :)

> My3G
> MyWi
> Backgrounder
> MultiFlow
> IntelliScreen
> TLert

With those 6 items from Cydia you will have the phone Apple should have built.

Altho my phone supports both WiFi and USB tether, I prefer to USB so the phone charges while I'm surfing. WiFi Hotspot sucks the battery way too fast

50CalAL
01-16-2011, 9:43 PM
Early word is the iPhone 5 will have a quad band chip CDMA/GSM but no LTE. Only time will tell.

Read that as well. It's suppose to be released this summer with the Cortex A9 multi-core processor (think they are calling it the A5).

What will probably happen is that VZW will be stuck with the CDMA iphone4 until 2012 while the iphone5 is sold on ATT then they will release a LTE version.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Read that as well. It's suppose to be released this summer with the Cortex A9 multi-core processor (think they are calling it the A5).

What will probably happen is that VZW will be stuck with the CDMA iphone4 until 2012 while the iphone5 is sold on ATT then they will release a LTE version.

Never know, but I see no reason for Apple to use a Qualcomm CDMA capable chip in a device they don't plan on selling to CDMA customers domestically. More likely, Apple is standardizing the chipset to make a single device for multiple carriers.

Californio
01-17-2011, 8:48 AM
So what is the understanding of how the CDMA iphone works. If I have the hot spot enabled and I am surfing, what happens if a voice call comes in, does it default to voice mail or does it give me a chance to drop the internet and accept the call? I wonder how they get around CDMA's inability to multitask between voice and internet.

JDay
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM

AT&T is in the process of switching to LTE, they expect that network to be operational this year.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/05/atandt-4g-lte-iphone-planned-for-2012-launch/

JDay
01-17-2011, 10:29 AM
So what is the understanding of how the CDMA iphone works. If I have the hot spot enabled and I am surfing, what happens if a voice call comes in, does it default to voice mail or does it give me a chance to drop the internet and accept the call? I wonder how they get around CDMA's inability to multitask between voice and internet.

The call will probably just go to voice mail.

hcbr
01-17-2011, 1:01 PM
AT&T is fudging it up again. THey made their Edge 2.5 network great, and then screwed it all up because they lagged on 3G,a nd once they now get it up to spec and great, they'll ruin it with the LTE Pseudo 4G deployment. They just need to keep upgrading and making their 3G great, and just trickle in the 4G and not worry so much about it.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-17-2011, 2:33 PM
With Verizon, if you are in a data session on the device calls will come through but if you are tethering, either via usb or hotspot the call will go to voicemail.

Californio
02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Now that the iPhone is out. Anyone know how PUSH is going to work. I currently sync 4 Apple computers to the Mobile Me cloud for calendar, contacts etc.

With Verizon am I going have PUSH available from the iPhone or is this going to be an internet session and a manual sync exercise?