PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy guns in Az.

Beckerwood
01-07-2011, 5:10 PM
If I have an Arizona ID card and purchase guns in Az. that are california legal do I need to do anything special to keep them in cali. which is my primary residence.

dustoff31
01-07-2011, 5:21 PM
Having an AZ ID card is only part of the equation. You must also have a valid residence in AZ to go along with it. Without that, you would be committing a federal felony by purchasing a handgun outside your state of residence. But you know all that, right?

You must register any handguns that you bring into CA with the CA DOJ within 60 days of bringing them into the state.

Librarian
01-07-2011, 5:25 PM
If AZ thinks you are enough citizen to buy guns in AZ, then you can buy whatever you like.

You cannot legally bring back what CA calls 'assault weapons'. and if you import handguns you need to file the New Resident (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf)* form and the fee for each one. And you know you may not import 'large-capacity' magazines.

* CA has never even tried to accommodate 'dual residency' or acknowledged the fact that moving to CA may take an extended period, not 'today I live in Arkansas, tomorrow I live in California'.

Beckerwood
01-07-2011, 5:48 PM
I also have a residence in Arizona which is how am I am able to obtain the ID card but its a vacation home. I want to buy ca. legal guns in Az. but bring them home not with the high cap. mags but I dont want the guns going to waste 6mo. out of the year when Im not out there. Thank you for any help

LHC30
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Does the CA Law state you must register within 60 days of MOVING into the state? If so, if one continues to travel back and forth between the two residences with an otherwise lawful pistol (or rifle), are you technically "moving" into CA?

Librarian
01-13-2011, 1:16 PM
As I noted in my first reply, CA PC does not talk about dual residency, nor does it accommodate moving as a process.

CA law appears to assume 'moving' is a single point in time event.

The law requires that the handguns be registered within 60 days of bringing them here. Whatever point you decide you have 'moved' is not considered in the New Resident personal handgun importer law; it refers only to the time the guns come to CA.

Librarian
01-13-2011, 1:22 PM
In this situation. How could the OP file the new resident form when he/she has maintained a residence in Ca?

Is there another for for Ca. residents to "Self register" firearms?
There is, but it isn't required that you register your handguns if you live here - buying through an FFL gets DROS, and that registers, and new residents are required to register.

The OP is in a situation not actually addressed by PC.

Since the suggestion is guns purchased by an AZ resident and then moved to CA, the NLIP is the closest that makes any sense at all (if you will temporarily suspend disbelief and accept that some California law makes sense).

cannon
01-13-2011, 2:00 PM
There is, but it isn't required that you register your handguns if you live here - buying through an FFL gets DROS, and that registers, and new residents are required to register.

The OP is in a situation not actually addressed by PC.

Since the suggestion is guns purchased by an AZ resident and then moved to CA, the NLIP is the closest that makes any sense at all (if you will temporarily suspend disbelief and accept that some California law makes sense).

Thank you.

stitchnicklas
01-13-2011, 4:44 PM
you sure your cali home is not the vacation"temporary "home???