PDA

View Full Version : The final letter I sent out

jemaddux
08-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Borrowed the first little bit from Crew, liked the way he stated then the way I had first written it:D .

August 7, 2006
Department Of Justice Firearms Licensing
And Permits Section
P.O. Box 820200
Sacramento, CA 94203

Dear Mr. Jeff Amador:

As a firearms owner and dealer here in Southern California I am strongly opposed to the new definition of assault type firearms. I am concerned that the change will be contrary to the legislative intent and will not clarify what the DOJ has already been guiding firearm owners and law enforcement on "assault weapons" laws.

Also as you and I have spoken on the phone before about is the fact that with current technology welding steel to aluminum in not possible with current welders available to the general public. The process would be very expensive and would most like cause damage to the firearm. (Please see attached information from the National Welding Journal explaining how this welding is done).

In 2000 during the hearings, this same issue was discussed and was decided to be left at the current wording do to the fact that it affects other firearms also:

“FINAL STATEMENT OF REASONS
Hearing Dates: February 24, 2000, Sacramento, California
February 28, 2000, Los Angeles, California
978.20(a) Detachable Magazine
The Department also added the phrase "without disassembly of the firearm action" as a result of public comment stating that there are firearms with fixed magazines that can be field stripped (disassembled in the field) without using any tools (such as the M1 Garand). Including those firearms in the definition of a "detachable magazine" would have been inconsistent with the legislative intent of the statute.

The definition was again revised to read "detachable magazine means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor the use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine."
The SKS, Mini 14, M1 and many others would all the effected by your current new wording that you are purposing.

Further thought needed to be given is the fact that the firearm was not designed to have the magazine welded into place making it not possible for repairs to be done to the magazine. A simple part such as a spring breaking would not be able to be repaired and would make it for the firearm would be useless. With the current wording the firearm can safely be serviced and returned back to a fixed magazine again with no problems.

Please reconsider any changes in the current wording. Consider opening a registration period for the firearms that are in question at the current time as your department put on the open web sight earlier this year.

“Accordingly, the Department is currently in the process of identifying those firearms in the state that are variations, with minor differences, of AR-15/AK 47 “series” weapons. Once this process is complete, the Department will promulgate a list and file it with the Secretary of State’s office. Concurrently, the Department will begin updating the Assault Weapon Identification Guide which is currently available via the Department’s website athttp://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/index.html. Once the list of newly identified AR “series” weapons is filed with the Secretary of State, citizens who possess those weapons will have 90 days to register them with the Department of Justice.”

People are still being told that the AR/AK47 “series” firearms are legal to buy and sell.

“In regard to your e-mail inquiry, off list lowers may be sold and owned. Individuals who alter a firearm designed and intended to accept a detachable magazine in an attempt to make it incapable of accepting a detachable magazine do so at their legal peril. Whether or not such a firearm remains capable of accepting a detachable magazine is a question for law enforcement agencies, district attorneys, and ultimately juries of twelve persons, not the California Department of Justice. We cannot anticipate how any or all of the above entities will view the conversion of a firearm.”

As stated here, it is already written and in place. It is not up to the DOJ as stated here by the DOJ to decide the law. According to local Police and Sherriff Department the current laws are understood and enforceable as they are.

The registration period would create a large income for the state and your department. The registration period would also create new business for small firearm businesses in the state creating more tax dollars.

Currently with off list lowers coming into the state many smaller firearms dealer are having trouble keeping parts in stock. Most manufactures are also having supply and demand problems creating record sales years for most. Many of the gun clubs for training are reporting increase in members and training creating safer legal shooters in this state. This can be turned into a win/win for everyone.

Sincerely,
James E. Maddux
Firearm Dealer and Owner

jemaddux
08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Also very import people. My time is very limited right now. I need a little help. I will be at the Glendale gun show THIS WEEKEND. I need a little help, I know this is scarey but I will have a booth there but know some people at the NRA booth also and told them I would help get this out. (me helping NRA)

Can someone PLEASE put together a one page deal between what the NRA post was and some of these letters that is generic? Have it for the person can just sign it and I can fax them out that night to DOJ. Come Monday morning I would like all of the faxes out of paper.:D

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone do this and get it to me via email or whatever so I can get more people to sign and support us.

chris
08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
hey do you ever have a booth at the orange gun show?

BTW great letter on your part. well written.

C.G.
08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
I am glad that there are different, not generic, letters written. Hope to see more.

6172crew
08-08-2006, 6:28 AM
Nice! I wish I could take total credit for the first part of our letters but I got help from one of our late members.:)

ohsmily
08-08-2006, 8:38 AM
You should have had someone proofread your letter before you sent it out....

jemaddux
08-08-2006, 9:25 AM
You should have had someone proofread your letter before you sent it out....

Ok, and what mistakes did I make now?

ohsmily
08-08-2006, 9:49 AM
Ok, and what mistakes did I make now?

Just reading the first few paragraphs, I counted between 10-15, some minor, some more obvious.

It is a moot point now since it already went out, so I am not going to edit it for you.

6172crew
08-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Just reading the first few paragraphs, I counted between 10-15, some minor, some more obvious.

It is a moot point now since it already went out, so I am not going to edit it for you.
Have you had a chance to check mine out? I havent sent it out yet.

ohsmily
08-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Have you had a chance to check mine out? I havent sent it out yet.

PM it to me.

jemaddux
08-08-2006, 10:31 AM

O-well....... Just made it personalised................(misspelled on purpose:D )

6172crew
08-08-2006, 7:05 PM
PM it to me.

PM sent!;)