PDA

View Full Version : Convince me I should buy a K-31 or two

TonyNorCal
08-07-2006, 9:30 PM
I know I know. They're of splendid quality and workmanship giving the price range they're in...

I just have passed previously on account of the expensive ammo. I am a cheap bastard that way and only tend toward inexpensive calibers.

But prices are going up in these K-31s. Last year AIM had em for $79. Now they're up over a hundred.

I know they won't last forever and are worth that even if you never shoot.

Someone give me a solid kick in the rear and tell me go get one or two.

rick_in_lb
08-07-2006, 9:41 PM
Tony, I really want one too. If you don't buy one neither will I! I hope you don't make me feel bad and not buy one. The only thing I am waiting for is my C&R. Made a booboo on my form and had to order another, this correct one goes out wednesday! Soooooo what's it going to be, ya know you want one!:D

thedrickel
08-07-2006, 9:52 PM
Don't make me get mine out of the boxes and take pics to convince you. . .

I would conservatively rate the metal on mine at 95%. Nearly perfect. Wood has the usual dings (especially the boot marks on the butt), but most of it would steam out if I wasn't so lazy. Got a pair from SARCO for around 270. Wish I had a C&R when they were 79 bucks at AIM (shooter grade probly?)

phish
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.swissrifles.com

^ DO NOT ENTER :p

whatever
08-07-2006, 10:30 PM
How bout this? Don't get one. Ammo is very expensive and they kick pretty hard. They are nice guns but there are other nice guns out there that you'll enjoy owning more.

Pthfndr
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Ammo is very expensive...

It is NOT expensive. It's more than 8mm or 7.62x54, but it's a LOT cheaper than new commercial ammo. It's about $6/box of 20 depending on where you get it. And it's MATCH quality ammo!

....and they kick pretty hard.

If you think a K31 kicks hard then you have either not shot one, or you are recoil shy. They kick less than .308, 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7.62x54R. Or to put it another way, less than a 1903A3, M38/M44 Mosin, any Yugo Mauser or K98 Mauser, or any light weight hunting rifle in .308 :rolleyes:

They are nice guns but there are other nice guns out there that you'll enjoy owning more.

But there aren't many other guns out there as nice, or that are as consistently accurate.

stevie
08-08-2006, 6:43 AM
Since your asking, just buy one or three...

icormba
08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Pros:
It's got to be one of, if not, the fastest bolt action rifles to operate.
(at least for me)

It has a 6 round mag compared to the average 5 rounds in Mausers and Mosins.

It looks different.

It's actually pretty comfortable to shoot.

Accurate.

Great surplus ammo.

Prices are going up (good if you have a few).

Cons:
Prices are going up (bad if you don't have one).

It looks different.

The Great surplus ammo won't last forever.

A bayonet to go with it costs almost as much as the rifle!

I actually don't shoot mine all that much.

p.s. these are just my pros & cons and may not even be a concern to others and their requirements

radioactivelego
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
You need to shoot one to truly appreciate it. It truly is a masterpiece.

And throwing $11 at Wolf Gold Line 20 round boxes is not expensive at all.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Buy one!!!!! I got mine at Big5 for $99 it has a new barrel and the metal is about 85% and the wood is a nice birch?? I load for mine and it is a tack driver at 200yds!

grammaton76
08-09-2006, 1:10 PM
One con about the surplus ammo: it's steel cored, so you can't shoot it at some ranges.

icormba
08-09-2006, 1:21 PM
One con about the surplus ammo: it's steel cored, so you can't shoot it at some ranges.

True! forgot that one!

but another Pro:
it's non-corrosive ;)

Pthfndr
08-09-2006, 7:25 PM
Buy one!!!!! I got mine at Big5 for $99 it has a new barrel and the metal is about 85% and the wood is a nice birch?? I load for mine and it is a tack driver at 200yds!

WHAT! You bought a K31? Coming over to the winning side :D

El Barto
08-10-2006, 9:14 AM
I would have to agree with everything that icormba said.

I first got a AIM $69 special about 3 months ago and I love it. The straight pull is easier to operate and accuracy is great. The trigger is a lot smoother then a Mosin and it kicks less. I also love the 6-round "detachable" magazine. The ammo can be expensive, but if you are a reloader, then you can save costs there.

If you are looking for a good quality rifle on the cheap, then this is a good choice. If you are interested in military arms and enjoy those that have history, this is a great choice. The K31s usually have a troop tag under the butt plate that have the previous Swiss owners information.

I would recommend that you hook up with someone that has one and take it for a test fire. If you are ever down in the LA area, feel free to give me a shout and we can take mine out.

The only negative I have found is that they tend to multiply. For some reason, I now have three.

50 Freak
08-10-2006, 10:15 AM
The only negative I have found is that they tend to multiply. For some reason, I now have three.

That's because you leave them alone together.

Whenever you put a pair of guns in a dark safe, they tend to multiply. I started with a couple of pistols about 10 years ago, now I can't even keep count of how many times they've multiplied...Damn gun hormones....worse than teenagers.

joe_sun
08-10-2006, 4:04 PM
I have the Swiss Flu but I think it's been overwhelmed by something else. I bought 3 K-31s last month and was about to get another when I contracted a more serious, and expensive disease. Garanditis... I've got two now and a third sounds pretty nice... but I keep looking at K-31's so I'll probably have a relapse here soon.

milsurplover
08-10-2006, 5:04 PM
If you get the newspaper and there's a store in your areas, keep an eye on Big 5's Sunday insert. They have a MilSurp listed every week - they seem to rotate through the usual suspects (Mosins, Mausers, Enfields, Schmidt/Rubins, etc.) - but they are all most typically in a somewhat lower grade condition and/or the "better ones" are usually gone before they open or soon thereafter. I'd ask real nice if they have any in the back. If not I'd ask for a Rain Check. (If "No Rain Checks" are stated in the ad, they will give you one.)

Then wait a few weeks - or maybe months if you have to do so - and then revisit one of their stores and keep an eye out for a better looking one. Give the display model a good looking over and then politely ask if they have any more in the back. Don't bring up the rain check until after you fill out your form. I've never had anyone refuse the rain check. Just don't mention it or you may not get to look at the ones in the back.

I've gotten four of my K-31 collection items (too embarrassed to say how many but more than I prolly need) this way and every single one was under $100 (last Nov 05-Jan 06). Two walnut stocks and three with the tags under the steel butt plate. Almost all with some accessories.

Big Five is one of my favorite places to "hold stuff" before buying. I know there may be "better places" online but you can't beat actually seeing the product and "hand-picking" it yourself. Hopefully I've not shared too much info or come across as 'sneaky' but all's fair in Love and Retail!

Good luck. I'm gonna post some pics of what I have when I get around to doing it and if that's possible. Just found this site. I like it.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-10-2006, 7:20 PM
WHAT! You bought a K31? Coming over to the winning side

Actually I bought mine about a year ago!! I FNALLY shot it other than on a bench.. I shot this target (10 shots) prone at 200yds 41.5gr H4895 with a 168gr SMK... and I'm having eye problems yet again :(
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/pe9bfb328f0a2b4e65975f7cd77daa222/ed91782a.jpg

Blue
08-10-2006, 8:34 PM
Actually I bought mine about a year ago!! I FNALLY shot it other than on a bench.. I shot this target (10 shots) prone at 200yds 41.5gr H4895 with a 168gr SMK... and I'm having eye problems yet again :(
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid211/pe9bfb328f0a2b4e65975f7cd77daa222/ed91782a.jpg

Damn thats probably better than I could do at 100 yards :eek:

Pthfndr
08-10-2006, 9:01 PM

Good shooting!

You should get a diopter setup for it. Here's one of my prone targets I shot to win the Swissrifles.com postal match. 10 shots at 100 yards. I used my handloads and the original swiss sling. the "10" ring measures 1-1/4". The whole black is slightly larger than a 100 yard SR1 target. Awesome rifles!

Can you guess which shot was the tenth one? I got a little excited :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Pthfndr/ProneDiopter.jpg

phish
08-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I I contracted a more serious, and expensive disease. Garanditis... I've got two now and a third sounds pretty nice... but I keep looking at K-31's so I'll probably have a relapse here soon.

dang NRA periodicals... :o ;)

Pthfndr, congrats, and nice prize! Those ISU type targets can be frustrating.

chickenfried
08-13-2006, 9:16 AM
So did everyone convince you to get a k31?

Last week I took my k31 out, and for some reason I was really feeling the recoil. Felt worse than all the rifles you have listed, but the M44. I only shot like 10 rounds. This was with gp11. The previous range trip, I shot all the gp11 I brought and wanted more :confused:

If you think a K31 kicks hard then you have either not shot one, or you are recoil shy. They kick less than .308, 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7.62x54R. Or to put it another way, less than a 1903A3, M38/M44 Mosin, any Yugo Mauser or K98 Mauser, or any light weight hunting rifle in .308 :rolleyes:

Pthfndr
08-13-2006, 5:26 PM
So did everyone convince you to get a k31?

Last week I took my k31 out, and for some reason I was really feeling the recoil. Felt worse than all the rifles you have listed, but the M44. I only shot like 10 rounds. This was with gp11. The previous range trip, I shot all the gp11 I brought and wanted more :confused:

Well, I will admit that if I'm just wearing a T shirt I'll use a recoil pad, because sometimes the edge of the steel butt plate digs in. But with a sweat shirt, flanel shirt, or more....no problem. Heck, my GF can go through 100 rounds of GP11 in just a few hours at the range :eek:

TonyNorCal
08-13-2006, 6:14 PM
Good deal. Thanks for the info everyone. Nice shooting on those targets guys!

Yeah Chickenfried, I'll get one:)

M. Sage
08-13-2006, 7:28 PM
I'm surprised nobody commented on the corkscrew or toothpick attachments for the bayonet. (Yes, I'm being a smartass.)