PDA

View Full Version : Is CCW a higher path to equal gun rights?

JimWest
01-07-2011, 2:47 PM
That is, in order for California citizens to achieve gun ownership status equal to say states like Texas, is the CCW issue at the crux of the legal process over other issues such as high cap mag? Or are things riding along together en masse in various legal challenges?

I mean, there seems to be more written here in concealed carry from the 2nd Amend. standpoint than on a national standard of gun ownership itself.

stix213
01-07-2011, 4:41 PM
I'm not "the right people" but I believe shall issue CCW just gets us more bang for the buck than most other legal challenges. This is the way I see it:

* CCW is already the only legal method to carry a loaded gun almost anywhere, so as far as any kind of always loaded carry this one requires no legislative action
* CCW dodges the GFSZ problem, so that fight doesn't have to happen immediately to allow people to carry all the time
* What good is your gun for self defense if you have to leave it at home or in a locked case?
* If we get the public used to legal carry all the time, it will be easier to push through other gun law improvements

yellowfin
01-07-2011, 5:16 PM
CCW is what makes gun ownership relevant for the most people, particularly for urban dwellers for whom other use is largely impractical. Not everyone can relate to having an expensive, obscure, complicated, potentially dangerous hobby that's inconvenient for anyone not living near abundant access to open spaces. Most everyone, however, can relate to keeping themselves, their spouses, and their kids safer as they go about their day and particularly at night while out and about. Unless you REALLY are into it, parking 3 to 5 to 10 Ben Franklins in a piece of metal you can't find a store to buy it and have to wait days after you pay to pick it up then drive an hour or two once a week to use just isn't worth it for most people. Daily carry makes it infinitely more practical so that a lot more people who otherwise wouldn't be gun owners find reason to be.

GettoPhilosopher
01-07-2011, 7:09 PM
Unless you REALLY are into it, parking 3 to 5 to 10 Ben Franklins in a piece of metal you can't find a store to buy it and have to wait days after you pay to pick it up then drive an hour or two once a week to use just isn't worth it for most people.

But you're discounting so many factors! There's the....

*"For the Lulz" factor; (i.e. "why do I own this? For the lulz!")
*"Because I can" factor; (i.e. "What else would I defend myself with when the nazi democrat zombies come to take my guns and force their health insurance on me?")
*"Because they're pretty" factor; (i.e. "What? No, I've never shot it. I just like to carry it around my house and pet it. Stop looking at me like that, you're creeping me out...and hurting her feelings....*creepy gleam*")

:cool:

edwardm
01-07-2011, 9:29 PM
This is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

The right to keep and bear arms is multifaceted, much like a gemstone. Let's call that right in Texas a highly polished diamond. In California it would be a chunk of clear carbon just pulled from a kimberlite pipe. The path to enjoying the full right involves sending the gem to a qualified cutter (the "right people"), who will then take the object in the rough and polish each and every facet to perfection or as near perfection as possible.

CCW is just one facet. Magazine capacity issues, 30 day limits on non-PPT handguns, certain storage laws, AW issues and ammunition restrictions are others. You have probably noticed that the effort, on a national scale, is attacking on many fronts. That's the path.

Some cases may combine certain issues amenable as such (for example, CCW, shall issue and non-statutory restrictions), but no one case is going to polish the whole thing to perfection alone.

That is, in order for California citizens to achieve gun ownership status equal to say states like Texas, is the CCW issue at the crux of the legal process over other issues such as high cap mag? Or are things riding along together en masse in various legal challenges?

I mean, there seems to be more written here in concealed carry from the 2nd Amend. standpoint than on a national standard of gun ownership itself.

JimWest
01-07-2011, 9:50 PM
... You have probably noticed that the effort, on a national scale, is attacking on many fronts. That's the path...

Despite my perception of weighting on the CCW issue here, I agree this is likely what is occurring. I further believe that the mindset that opposes what we are concerned about here can be and should be tipped off balance by taking stands on other issues also, such as closures of public lands by the BLM, local community take-overs of private property via eminent domain and city ordinances such as what you can park in your own driveway. But back to the issue at hand:

Can involvement with local Calguns chapters or other groups expedite this process?

Because, I gotta tell ya' I feel the enemy is taking the first blow in the stomach now with the way things are evolving on the gun rights issue themselves, the economy and the assault on social freedom- now is the time to begin a UFC flurry and be relentless. What say you?!