PDA

View Full Version : fourth grader was caught wearing a small saber

domino
01-07-2011, 2:30 PM
Did anyone see this news story on fox today. It kind of gives me some ideas about 2A. I guess in the Sikh religion, you are supposed to carry a saber with you at all times, to ward off bad things, this 4th grade Sikh wears his to school. They say after a Sikh is baptized they should always carry. The school has banned it recently but I think it is going to end up in court.
The Sikh comminuty thinks it ought to be a right.

Maybe a new religion (formal religion) could be started, it could be called The House of 2A in God we trust. As soon as you are baptized you are given an AR to carry to ward off bad spirits....

link to the story http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/07/michigan-sikhs-want-religious-swords-school/?test=latestnews

sreiter
01-07-2011, 2:37 PM
I was just reading another thread on something similar. Freedom of religion issue though. They cut the balls off this. They allow like a plastic one, or one that's perm glued into sheath or something like that

Werewolf1021
01-07-2011, 2:37 PM
It's a Kirpan. It's more of a dagger than a sword. I have no problem with it, granted the same rules applied to everyone (ie everyone gets to carry a small knife or dagger.).

Sikhs are generally VERY pro-RKBA. Just so you know.

Decoligny
01-07-2011, 2:41 PM
Did anyone see this news story on fox today. It kind of gives me some ideas about 2A. I guess in the Sikh religion, you are supposed to carry a saber with you at all times, to ward off bad things, this 4th grade Sikh wears his to school. They say after a Sikh is baptized they should always carry. The school has banned it recently but I think it is going to end up in court.
The Sikh comminuty thinks it ought to be a right.

Maybe a new religion (formal religion) could be started, it could be called The House of 2A in God we trust. As soon as you are baptized you are given an AR to carry to ward off bad spirits....

link to the story http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/07/michigan-sikhs-want-religious-swords-school/?test=latestnews

The Sikh Kirpan is not worn to "ward off bad things". It is not a "talisman" or "good luck charm", it is worn as a symbol. The Kirpan is both a defensive weapon and a symbol. It symbolizes the principle of active non-violence, i.e. to not allow violence to be done to another, it does that by being available as a weapon to be used to defend the defenseless when other methods have failed. It also symbolizes the power of truth to cut through lies.

The Sikh Kirpan is about as perfect a representation of the ideas behind the 2nd Amendment as there is.

domino
01-07-2011, 2:45 PM
Yep I happen to have some friends that are Sikh's, they are very RKBA as well as pro many other things. I too dont see a problem with it as long as it is fair for everyone accross the board. I know though that a fact is try sending one of your kids to school with one here in CA lol. My son accidently took a small old timer to school when he was in 7th grade, it was a monday morning, he wore the same pants sunday nigth and forgot it was there, while changing in gym class it fell out of his pocket. he was taken to the office and i was called to come and get him, for breaking the rules. He ended up getting an onsite suspension, it was an accident. But they kept saying to me here are the rules that you and your student signed at the start of the school year. We didnt push and just let it go due to the fact it wasnt an actual suspension on his record.

Window_Seat
01-07-2011, 2:46 PM
Interesting...

If it were a cross, the ACLU would be suing the school for allowing the kid to violate seperation between church & state... It would be interesting to see how they react to this one... :rolleyes:

Erik.

domino
01-07-2011, 2:47 PM
The Sikh Kirpan is not worn to "ward off bad things". It is not a "talisman" or "good luck charm", it is worn as a symbol. The Kirpan is both a defensive weapon and a symbol. It symbolizes the principle of active non-violence, i.e. to not allow violence to be done to another, it does that by being available as a weapon to be used to defend the defenseless when other methods have failed. It also symbolizes the power of truth to cut through lies.

The Sikh Kirpan is about as perfect a representation of the ideas behind the 2nd Amendment as there is.

A friend of mine (Sikh) also told me it is a way to fight against your internal evils or self. He said they are not even sharp.

Decoligny
01-07-2011, 2:57 PM
A friend of mine (Sikh) also told me it is a way to fight against your internal evils or self. He said they are not even sharp.

True, but they do have a point.

sd_shooter
01-07-2011, 3:49 PM
The kid wasn't expelled yet?

Remember, little green army men aren't good so surely a knife isn't either :D
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/coventry-school-bans-army-men-hat-

http://media2.wpri.com//photo/2010/06/16/Teens_hat_banned_from_e21375c6-9119-4ef4-95e9-fdd2a9630b420000_20100616191109_320_240.JPG

Carsgunsandchics
01-07-2011, 3:50 PM
Yep I happen to have some friends that are Sikh's, they are very RKBA as well as pro many other things. I too dont see a problem with it as long as it is fair for everyone accross the board. I know though that a fact is try sending one of your kids to school with one here in CA lol. My son accidently took a small old timer to school when he was in 7th grade, it was a monday morning, he wore the same pants sunday nigth and forgot it was there, while changing in gym class it fell out of his pocket. he was taken to the office and i was called to come and get him, for breaking the rules. He ended up getting an onsite suspension, it was an accident. But they kept saying to me here are the rules that you and your student signed at the start of the school year. We didnt push and just let it go due to the fact it wasnt an actual suspension on his record.

The only reason it wasn't a regular suspension from the premises is they didn't want to miss out on that gov't money they get for him being on school grounds. In my High School they used to do the same thing, but my dad being who he was basically told them he's either suspended or in class. Not at school not in class. If it's not a big enough deal for a real suspension then it's not worth worrying about.

As far as religious symbols go "to each his own".

BobB35
01-07-2011, 5:28 PM

Unless you wanted to go with a Colt Peacemaker or a M1911. Both of those allow defense of the defenseless and shoot through the BS pretty fast.

vincewarde
01-07-2011, 5:48 PM
This is an interesting issue for me because of my interest in Freedom of Religion. My understanding is that most of the cases have resulted in a victory for free exercise of religion. I some cases the knife has been required to be fixed in the scabbard, in others they haven't required this because, as has been stated, the blade is dull. I am actually surprised that the school was so stupid.

thedrickel
01-07-2011, 6:19 PM
School is going to get pwnt.

N6ATF
01-07-2011, 8:38 PM
I wish I could carry a lightsaber on me at all times.

resident-shooter
01-07-2011, 9:26 PM
in my high school, anything below 9mm was not even considered legit