PDA

View Full Version : Looking for somewhere to shoot clays...

sbg357
08-07-2006, 4:18 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm trying to find somewhere to shoot clays, other than a range. Maybe even do a little plinking as well, but mostly to shoot some clays.

Is there anywhere somewhat close to the LA area I can go? Anything up to a couple hours drive from the Torrance area would be okay.

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm not from down your way but the mention of the bay got me to thinking~

why not rent a boat and go shoot OUT ON the bay?

dw1784
08-08-2006, 2:47 AM
find ur nearest location here:
http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=CA

http://www.webcom.com/gun_guy/rangesca.htm

50 Shooter
08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
www.angelesranges.com should take you about 30 minutes to drive there (on a good day). They have a dedicated shotgun range or you can shoot clays at the end of the rifle range.

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 1:03 PM
other than a range. .

Let me know if I'm wrong but both other places that have been mentioned are ranges; if you're looking for a 'freebie' place to shoot I'd check the BLM and FS sites for land near you that allows shooting (most do...some dont)

FWIW~ I still like my Bay idea:p :D

Fjold
08-08-2006, 2:23 PM
Let me know if I'm wrong but both other places that have been mentioned are ranges; if you're looking for a 'freebie' place to shoot I'd check the BLM and FS sites for land near you that allows shooting (most do...some dont)

FWIW~ I still like my Bay idea:p :D

Handling a firearm in a small boat rocking in the water is difficult and not the safest thing to do. You also have to be at least three miles out to sea and if you haven't been out in deep water before in a small craft it is something else to consider.

Remember also that three shots is an international distress signal at sea.

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 2:29 PM
Handling a firearm in a small boat rocking in the water is difficult and not the safest thing to do. You also have to be at least three miles out to sea and if you haven't been out in deep water before in a small craft it is something else to consider.

How's that unsafe? Duck hunters do it all the time:confused: ? I mean I guess (I dont know) about the 3 mile rule but its perfectly legal to shoot from a boat on fresh water provided the engine's stopped and you're achored or adrift (just not under own power) as per the DFG's rules.

I cant argue with ya' on the upchuck-factor on a small boat though at sea! LOL!

rod
08-09-2006, 8:42 AM
I shoot clays at Bee Canyon (Hemet area). It's open range and not very crowded.

kilword
08-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I know around where im at the delta area you can shoot from a boat long as your not near anything to public and away from the hiway...where all the duck hunters go.

kilword
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
never heard about anything with a 3miles rule maybe if your shooting in the open ocean...but deltas,lakes,ect just in a boons type area should be fine.least up hear in the bayarea people I know never had issues from the sheriff. long as your not shooting rifles or pistols or anything that has range to it.

Pokey
08-10-2006, 3:43 PM
<snip>

Just make sure you don't miss on the doubles.:D

sbg357
08-11-2006, 6:58 PM
Metalhead357, your idea brought a chuckle to me. But I don't know about saltwater and a firearm. Way too much effort to breakdown the guns enough to ensure no salt residue remains!

CalNRA
08-12-2006, 1:56 AM
Metalhead357, your idea brought a chuckle to me. But I don't know about saltwater and a firearm. Way too much effort to breakdown the guns enough to ensure no salt residue remains!

aw geez, can you imagine the flood of questions? "my 870/500 is jamming, I have no idea why..."

rick_in_lb
08-14-2006, 6:46 PM
There used to be a place off of the 60 freeway at Rosemead. I think the city is El Monte called Pachmyre.

Spl1nter_c311
08-22-2006, 1:59 AM
san gabriel valley gun club
www.sangabrielvalleygunclub.com/

not sure if its still open, they've been having zoneing issues with the community. $6/round of 25 shots.

also there is one at the chevron refinery in el segundo on sunday mornings.

adam

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm trying to find somewhere to shoot clays, other than a range. Maybe even do a little plinking as well, but mostly to shoot some clays.

Is there anywhere somewhat close to the LA area I can go? Anything up to a couple hours drive from the Torrance area would be okay.

krim
09-05-2006, 2:00 PM
There used to be a place off of the 60 freeway at Rosemead. I think the city is El Monte called Pachmyre.

Info for anyone who needs it.

It's part of the Whittier Narrows Recreation Area
Phone: (626) 575-5526

West of the 60/605 interchange. From the 60, exit Rosemead, head south, and it's on the right hand side. you can't miss it.