PDA

View Full Version : gun registration statute of limitation?

cabinetguy
01-07-2011, 2:54 PM
ive been reading these forums for awhile, and one question i have that is unanswered is that pertaining to firearm registration statute of limitations. say for example an elderly person with a non assault weapon, purchased decades ago, never registered. is there a statute of limitations for firearms registration?

WoodTurner
01-07-2011, 2:59 PM
Was there even a registration at the time of purchase? As far as I know, its not required to register a handgun that was purchased before 1991.

NightOwl
01-07-2011, 3:39 PM
If it's a gun that needs to be registered, and it's still unregistered, the crime is still ongoing. The crime needs to stop before a statute of limitations would begin counting anyway.

Bhobbs
01-07-2011, 3:43 PM
If it is a non assault weapon why would it need to be registered?

CSACANNONEER
01-07-2011, 3:49 PM
If it's a gun that needs to be registered, and it's still unregistered, the crime is still ongoing. The crime needs to stop before a statute of limitations would begin counting anyway.

Bull CRAP! Theree is no requirement for any non-AW firearm to be registered unless it is being trasfered. There is NO CRIME here.

Here's a few facts:

Ca has had a Dealer's Record Of Sale since the 1920's.

California does not require long guns to be registered at the time of sale.

The only long guns which are required to be registered are 50BMG rifles and Ca AWs.

California requires all handguns to be registered when being purchased, imported into the state by someone moving here or otherwise transfered.

gun toting monkeyboy
01-07-2011, 3:56 PM
Bull CRAP! Theree is no requirement for any non-AW firearm to be registered unless it is being trasfered. There is NO CRIME here.

Here's a few facts:

Ca has had a Dealer's Record Of Sale since the 1920's.

California does not require long guns to be registered at the time of sale.

The only long guns which are required to be registered are 50BMG rifles and Ca AWs.

California requires all handguns to be registered when being purchased, imported into the state by someone moving here or otherwise transfered.

He beat me to it. If you don't know an answer, please don't post. Spreading FUD doesn't help anybody.

ivsamhell
01-07-2011, 4:30 PM
Originally Posted by NightOwl

It read alright to me.

macadamizer
01-07-2011, 4:32 PM
He said if the gun needs to be registered, and isn't, the crime is ongoing. What is inaccurate about that statement?

"Theree is no requirement for any non-AW firearm to be registered unless it is being trasfered" is also inaccurate, as you note that .50 BMG rifles need to be registered, and .50 BMG rifles are not AW's.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-07-2011, 5:12 PM
ive been reading these forums for awhile, and one question i have that is unanswered is that pertaining to firearm registration statute of limitations. say for example an elderly person with a non assault weapon, purchased decades ago, never registered. is there a statute of limitations for firearms registration?

There are many guns that are not "Registered" in California and do not need to be. There is no California law that all firearms must be registered. A record of sales (DROS) is kept by the State for all transactions of handguns through a FFL dealer. Long gun sales records are destroyed by law after the eligibility check and transaction are complete.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#25

26. How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?
There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer.

And the California Firearms Laws Summary Booklet:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

The home website for the Bureau of Firearms of the CA DOJ

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Librarian
01-07-2011, 5:43 PM
And the Calguns Foundation Wiki article http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

CSACANNONEER
01-07-2011, 6:15 PM
It read alright to me.

On reread, your right. It does read correctly if one know what guns need to be registered and what guns don't.

EOD Guy
01-08-2011, 8:38 AM
On reread, your right. It does read correctly if one know what guns need to be registered and what guns don't.

A good example is a new reisdent with a handgun that was not registered after being imported into the State.