PDA

View Full Version : Gun show open carry

jpigeon
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Can u UOC @ the Crossroads Ontario gun show??? If yes give me some links to check out. Thanks.

mej16489
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Can u UOC @ the Crossroads Ontario gun show??? If yes give me some links to check out. Thanks.

Sort of...

Gun Shows [PC 12071.4] Its ok to OC if you have no ammo to fit the gun and have complied with other provisions in the PC... i.e. tagged, etc.

People often do this with longarms slung accross their backs and a for sale sign sticking out the top...

jpigeon
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
So if I UOC with holstered loaded mags I would be in violation???

paul0660
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
pigeon, read the PC posted for you.

mrdd
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
PC 12071.4. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited as, the
Gun Show Enforcement and Security Act of 2000.
(g) No person at a gun show or event, other than security
personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time
both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the
firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or
exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

Librarian
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Yes.

PC 12071.4 (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/4/s12071.4) (g)No person at a gun show or event, other than security personnel or sworn peace officers, shall possess at the same time both a firearm and ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm. Vendors having those items at the show for sale or exhibition are exempt from this prohibition.

(l)Unless otherwise specified, a first violation of this section is an infraction. Any second or subsequent violation is a misdemeanor. Any person who commits an act which he or she knows to be a violation of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor for a first offense.

You cannot unread this - you now 'know' and would be subject to a misdemeanor arrest.

GrizzlyGuy
01-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Yes, unless the mags were loaded with ammo in some other caliber, and you had no firearm of that caliber with you. The PC quoted above is pretty clear.

hgreen
01-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Is a significant other or friend considered possession?

I can think of a scenario where I carry a 45, wife carries a 9, I have mags with 9 and she has mags with 45.
Event arises where you need to defend yourself then you just reach over to your SO and grab your mag.

So teams of two could UOC at a gun show with different calibers and still be ok.

Librarian
01-07-2011, 12:40 PM

I can think of a scenario where I carry a 45, wife carries a 9, I have mags with 9 and she has mags with 45.
Event arises where you need to defend yourself then you just reach over to your SO and grab your mag.

So teams of two could UOC at a gun show with different calibers and still be ok.

Further bits of the gun show PC (i)Persons other than show or event security personnel, sworn peace officers, or vendors, who bring firearms onto the gun show or event premises shall sign in ink the tag or sticker that is attached to the firearm prior to being allowed admittance to the show or event, as provided for in subdivision (j).

(j)All firearms carried onto the premises of a gun show or event by members of the public shall be checked, cleared of any ammunition, secured in a manner that prevents them from being operated, and an identification tag or sticker shall be attached to the firearm, prior to the person being allowed admittance to the show.

gotthelife4u
01-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Ok I have a dumb question then. What if you buy a C&R gun and there just so happens to be a great deal on surplus ammo that goes with that gun. Can you not buy the ammo at the same time?

Flintlock Tom
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Ok I have a dumb question then. What if you buy a C&R gun and there just so happens to be a great deal on surplus ammo that goes with that gun. Can you not buy the ammo at the same time?

Take the gun out to your car and come back for the ammo.

A farmer has a chicken, corn and a fox. He wants to cross a river...

safewaysecurity
01-07-2011, 1:07 PM
Ccw mean nothin at gun shows?

Decoligny
01-07-2011, 2:46 PM
There is no exemption in the PC for CCW. You can still CCW just not loaded, and not with the ammo on you.

Aleksandr Mravinsky
01-07-2011, 3:25 PM
"ammunition that is designed to be fired in the firearm"
Aren't firearms usually designed to fire certain kinds of ammunition? I can only think of a few cases where ammo was specifically designed for a particular firearm.

jpigeon
01-07-2011, 3:31 PM
CA is a real cluster "F". What if someone UOC's their 1911 and purchases a case of .45??? A LEO would have to have a wild hair up his *** to arrest an otherwise law abiding citizen.

locosway
01-07-2011, 4:00 PM
Yes.

PC 12071.4 (http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/4/s12071.4)

You cannot unread this - you now 'know' and would be subject to a misdemeanor arrest.

Doesn't matter if he read it or not, ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Librarian
01-07-2011, 4:49 PM
Doesn't matter if he read it or not, ignorance of the law is not a defense.

True, but the text of the law says if someone doesn't know, it's an infraction, but if someone DOES know, it's a misdemeanor.

Now he knows.

diginit
01-07-2011, 6:26 PM
How The FK can LE prove they know unless the dummy admits it ???? If someone is that stupid, Jail is the right place for them because stupid people should not own firearms...
At least the OP is smart enough to ask!

diginit
01-07-2011, 6:40 PM

I would be hard to load when a zip tie is holding your hammer down. If you cut the tie and loaded the weapon, You would in violation of the PC. You should know by now that we cannot defend ourselves or anyone's child in Ca without going to jail. We are supposed to wait 20 Min. for LE to respond to the 911 call that is put on hold for 5 miniutes for transfer from the Highway Patrol to local LE. Depending upon jurisdiction....

jpigeon
01-07-2011, 7:36 PM
Me and CA have a love-hate relationship. I love her geography and hate her gun laws!!!

Jack L
01-08-2011, 6:01 AM
Me and CA have a love-hate relationship. I love her geography and hate her gun laws!!!

I may add to that..........I also hate her taxes!