PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive is still usable after being shot with bird shot.

nick
01-07-2011, 10:31 AM
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/07/5784898-testing-a-hard-drive-with-a-shotgun

In my experience, most handgun calibers fail to penetrate regular 3.5" hard drives, not until several shots were scored in the same area. 10mm, .357 mag (not the mild loads though), and 7.62x25 mostly penetrated them completely on the first shot. Rifle calibers (not talking .22lr here :)) penetrated with no problems. With shotguns, only slugs did serious damage.

Of course, the data was pretty much gone regardless of what I shot them with. The guys in the video claim the hard drive remains operational after being shot. Mind you, it looks like they're using birdshot. A .223 round did it in.

The drive is an SSD, of course.

NSR500
01-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Another reason birdshot is not for home defense/self defense.

BayAreaShooter
01-07-2011, 2:46 PM
Thank you for posting. I have a few friends that will get a kick out of this.

IrishPirate
01-07-2011, 2:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is a pro hard drive thread, or an anti-birdshot-for-HD thread......:confused:

If handgun calibers really don't penetrate hard drives, then i'll go grab some scrap hard drives from the computer recycling place down the street and make me some body armor!! :rolleyes:

bohoki
01-07-2011, 2:52 PM
if you hit the control board its not working anymore

blakdawg
01-07-2011, 4:14 PM
That's a bunch of BS. Last week I woke up in the middle of the night because one of my dogs was growling. I grabbed my Mossberg 590 and went to check things out. I've been keeping it loaded with birdshot ever since I saw that Hitchcock documentary - those little ****ers are dangerous.

As I was walking down the hallway, I could hear movement in the living room. I came around the corner and found 2 SSD's trying to take my bigscreen TV down off the wall. One of them was one of those black OCZ Vortex2 60 Gig's, the other was a Kensington with a red label, couldn't tell the capacity. They already had my Playstation and all of my Guitar Hero stuff piled up on the couch next to a bunch of my wife's jewelry.

I shouted "STOP! SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!" and the red one spun around. He pulled what looked like a Hi-Point from his waistband so I cut loose with the first round out of the 590. He went down right where he stood. The birdshot made a bunch of holes right in the center of the label and there was data all over the place - just a big mess of 1's and 0's.

The OCZ had one of those giant flathead screwdrivers in his hand he'd been using to try to take down the TV and he took a couple of steps towards me. I've seen that Tueller thing on Youtube - I'm pretty sure that was with an ordinary hard disk with like a 20ms access time or something and it was on the dude in like 2 seconds, those SSD's are way faster so I knew I couldn't let him get any closer. I had already pumped the 590 as soon as I fired the first round so I let the OCZ have it too. I must have been nervous because I was a little high with that shot - but I got him with about half of the pattern. That was enough to put him on the ground. I kept them covered with the shotgun while my wife called 911. It only took a couple of minutes for the cops and the EMT's to get there - the SSD's are silent, so the OCZ couldn't make any noise, but he must have lost at least 30 Gigs of data right there on the living room floor. (We just ripped the carpet up and threw it away, no way that was gonna wash out.) The EMT's hooked him up to a laptop with one of those USB/SATA things as soon as they got him on the gurney and started running Spinrite. They said the Kensington was probably dead before he hit the floor and they didn't even bother trying to revive him. The data recovery guys said they let Spinrite run for a couple of days on the OCZ but it doesn't really work on the new technology and they finally pulled the plug and sent his carcass to some backwater place in China with no environmental regs so some 7 year old can scrape the gold off of the contacts.

I don't know what those MSNBC guys are smoking but I can tell you from personal experience that birdshot WILL take down a SSD if you can do your part and aim for center mass. One of the detectives said that a gang of the Intel's with SLC chips has been doing home invasions in the South Bay area - apparently there's some kind of turf war between them and the Corsairs and things are getting pretty ugly.

Birdshot FTMFW.

dandechino
01-07-2011, 11:08 PM
That's a bunch of BS. Last week I woke up in the middle of the night because one of my dogs was growling. I grabbed my Mossberg 590 and went to check things out. I've been keeping it loaded with birdshot ever since I saw that Hitchcock documentary - those little ****ers are dangerous.

As I was walking down the hallway, I could hear movement in the living room. I came around the corner and found 2 SSD's trying to take my bigscreen TV down off the wall. One of them was one of those black OCZ Vortex2 60 Gig's, the other was a Kensington with a red label, couldn't tell the capacity. They already had my Playstation and all of my Guitar Hero stuff piled up on the couch next to a bunch of my wife's jewelry.

I shouted "STOP! SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!" and the red one spun around. He pulled what looked like a Hi-Point from his waistband so I cut loose with the first round out of the 590. He went down right where he stood. The birdshot made a bunch of holes right in the center of the label and there was data all over the place - just a big mess of 1's and 0's.

The OCZ had one of those giant flathead screwdrivers in his hand he'd been using to try to take down the TV and he took a couple of steps towards me. I've seen that Tueller thing on Youtube - I'm pretty sure that was with an ordinary hard disk with like a 20ms access time or something and it was on the dude in like 2 seconds, those SSD's are way faster so I knew I couldn't let him get any closer. I had already pumped the 590 as soon as I fired the first round so I let the OCZ have it too. I must have been nervous because I was a little high with that shot - but I got him with about half of the pattern. That was enough to put him on the ground. I kept them covered with the shotgun while my wife called 911. It only took a couple of minutes for the cops and the EMT's to get there - the SSD's are silent, so the OCZ couldn't make any noise, but he must have lost at least 30 Gigs of data right there on the living room floor. (We just ripped the carpet up and threw it away, no way that was gonna wash out.) The EMT's hooked him up to a laptop with one of those USB/SATA things as soon as they got him on the gurney and started running Spinrite. They said the Kensington was probably dead before he hit the floor and they didn't even bother trying to revive him. The data recovery guys said they let Spinrite run for a couple of days on the OCZ but it doesn't really work on the new technology and they finally pulled the plug and sent his carcass to some backwater place in China with no environmental regs so some 7 year old can scrape the gold off of the contacts.

I don't know what those MSNBC guys are smoking but I can tell you from personal experience that birdshot WILL take down a SSD if you can do your part and aim for center mass. One of the detectives said that a gang of the Intel's with SLC chips has been doing home invasions in the South Bay area - apparently there's some kind of turf war between them and the Corsairs and things are getting pretty ugly.

Birdshot FTMFW.

How long did this take you to write?

blakdawg
01-08-2011, 1:47 PM
How long did this take you to write?

Just screwing around after a long week, not long at all.

ElvenSoul
01-08-2011, 2:05 PM
Well Mr. Magnet does a good job on them.

nagorb
01-08-2011, 2:10 PM
Just screwing around after a long week, not long at all.

Thanks for the laugh:D

spectre-9
01-17-2011, 1:09 PM
The OCZ had one

An OCZ HD huh? Haven't heard much of those

At first I thought I read your post wrong, but then I realized what you were doing.

ExtremeX
01-17-2011, 1:33 PM

Birdshot FTMFW.

You gotta be a total computer nerd to find this funny, and I thought it was hilarious.

Thanks for the laugh lol.

hcbr
01-17-2011, 2:22 PM
lol yeah against a hard drive, the bird shot won't do much, unless you keep bombarding it with it one after the other, but slugs and buckshot, and you'll have a field day!

hybridatsun350
01-17-2011, 2:52 PM
Another reason birdshot is not for home defense/self defense.

Seriously! I've always had a fear of being attacked by an angry mob of HDD's! :p

Birdshot FTMFW.

First: LOL
Second: He had to be black, didn't he? :p

chiefcrash
01-17-2011, 6:33 PM

Birdshot FTMFW.

You, sir, win at the internet!

diginit
01-17-2011, 6:48 PM
Try 3" mag bb shot with a full choke. 72 pellets @ 1265 FPS. Goodbye, You Evil Hard Drive.

XDTRIGGERHAPPY
01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Well played sir

Birdshot FTMFW.