PDA

View Full Version : fishing license fees where does the money go?

chickenfried
01-07-2011, 10:23 AM
tried a google search but couldn't find anything. $57 dollars with a second rod stamp, kinda got me a little :mad:. Especially since most of the lakes I go to also charge a fishing access permit fee. But seeing the good the money does might make me feel better.

berto
01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
The outdoors writer for the SF Chronicle occasionally writes about where license money is supposed to go (fish) and where it actually ends up (not fish).

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
the money goes to enforce all the closures they like to impose so often, or to study the plight of the tree frog to stop the planting of trout :icon_bs:

TadyMan
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
This year there was a 3% increase to pay for all the new computers the retailers had to get. What really sucks is that there was a 3% price increase but over 10% of our sportfishing areas were CLOSED. Me being in the fishing industry makes me question if I want to do this anymore. Ive been in business for over 50 years and have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes for the government to put me out of business. All because there is some kind of endangered purple coral that seems to be everywhere!? When the first talk of closures started an estimate of about $250,000 is what it would cost to enforce all the closeres(In the begining anywhere where there was rocky coast was proposed to be closed) now they say its going to cost $40 MILLION dollars a year! How do they expect to pay for that when they close down more parts of the ocean and less people are willing to fish? Where is the money going to come from? Maybe someone can give me something positive about this whole situation. So i dont loose all faith...

From,
Pissed of Fisherman

Steyrlp10
01-07-2011, 2:13 PM
Just bought my license online since 2011 rolled around too quickly for me to adjust. I'm afraid that the bean counters who have control of the funds are not outdoorsy types like us and don't see things the way we do when they apply the money elsewhere.

I can only hope it eventually makes its way to the right causes...

On the flip side, I don't want to be stopped without my license and have to lose a tournament because they make me dump my fish and snag my ride :eek:

chickenfried
01-07-2011, 2:26 PM
:rofl: what are you guys trying to do, turn me into a poacher :p?

Steyrlp10
01-07-2011, 2:34 PM
:rofl: what are you guys trying to do, turn me into a poacher :p?

As long as it's not my limit that you're messing with, I'm not looking :D

TadyMan
01-07-2011, 2:38 PM
The only reason why they should raise the fees is for making fishing and hunting easier for existing outdoorsmen and fishermen. Instead of making it harder and harder for good people to enjoy the outdoors.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-07-2011, 2:45 PM
what really gets me, less wardens, more area closures....... higher fees. Makes absolutely no sense. Also, how is MORE expensive to enforce these closures than it was before the closures. Wouldn't more closed areas mean LESS area to patrol?

We need to get the tree huggers out of DFG.

thukidad
01-07-2011, 10:17 PM
another good idea from (not going there) political party.. too many f'en analysis and too little realist..

chickenfried
01-12-2011, 2:46 PM
I'm too much of a color inside the lines kind of guy. So I've been trying for the past two days to purchase a fishing license on the dfg site. But all I get is an error. :rolleyes:

winxp_man
01-12-2011, 2:57 PM
Im out for fishing this year. I had enough of this Communist bullsH!!!!T and feed up with it. I will go out of state for the fun stuff from now on. I got plenty of friends in Oregon, Washington, Montana, and even Canada.

Abesnake
01-13-2011, 11:06 AM
This year there was a 3% increase to pay for all the new computers the retailers had to get. What really sucks is that there was a 3% price increase but over 10% of our sportfishing areas were CLOSED. Me being in the fishing industry makes me question if I want to do this anymore. Ive been in business for over 50 years and have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes for the government to put me out of business. All because there is some kind of endangered purple coral that seems to be everywhere!? When the first talk of closures started an estimate of about $250,000 is what it would cost to enforce all the closeres(In the begining anywhere where there was rocky coast was proposed to be closed) now they say its going to cost $40 MILLION dollars a year! How do they expect to pay for that when they close down more parts of the ocean and less people are willing to fish? Where is the money going to come from? Maybe someone can give me something positive about this whole situation. So i dont loose all faith...

From,
Pissed of Fisherman

I think from now on I'll just fish off the piers where you don't need a license. The catch might be limited, but it's the outdoors I like too. Most of the freshwater lakes where I live are muddy and I don't enjoy them. Seems stupid to me to fight to fish for trout in So. Cal. that I can buy at the store. I wish I lived farther North. It might seem more worth it to me to get a license if I could go out and get some nice Salmon.

5shot
01-13-2011, 1:35 PM
The biggest problem is the amount of license money that goes to projects that have nothing, or very little to do with hunting and fishing.
California has 38.5 million residents. Only about 2 million buy fishing licenses, and 182,000 buy hunting licenses.
Yet license fees are spent on all kinds of programs for endangered and common species of fish and wildlife that are not even hunted or fished. License fees are also spent on investigating toxic spills and dumping outside of urban areas.
All the bird watchers, backpackers, hikers, mountain bikers, boaters, etc who enjoy going out in the wild and observing wildlife can thank the hunters and fishermen of the state.