PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Classic safe from Costco

WokMaster1
01-07-2011, 9:39 AM
$600 for a 30 minute fire rating gun safe. Any comments if it's a decent safe? For the price of a handgun plus DROS & taxes, I think this is a great deal for all those gun owners out there with no gun safe at home.

Comments?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11542470&search=gun+safe&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gun+safe&Ntt=gun+safe&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1&SessionID=9a9d28ed-ad39-4518-9867-92d308484e48

MacOtac
01-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Great entry level safe for a gun owner that does not have a lot of stuff to put in it. Most will tell you to by bigger than you need and that is true! I have the BigHorn 6039El I brought through Costco several months ago. It is serving its purpose but I can see where the space is being consumed. You also can't beat Costco's return policy and delivery. If you don't have many guns and other valuables to stick in the safe I say it is a good buy. Make sure to secure it well, by bolting down and stuff. That safe is pretty light.

kophinos
01-09-2011, 9:24 AM
i'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my small AMSEC.. maybe i should get another AMSEC for $150 more.. only thing is, the AMSEC is 14awg while the bighorn is 12awg. i am, however, concerned about the smell.

i realize neither gauge is ideal, but it's just a though. the guy at the safe store told me awg doesn't matter anyway ;)

Hot Brass
01-09-2011, 9:07 PM
I would save a few more dollars and get something with thicker than 10g sheetmetal for a shell.

reefer_bob
01-10-2011, 8:54 PM
I have one of these. Very nice. As long as you carefully put stuff in it, it holds quite a bit.

The only down side is that it smells weird of glue or carpet or something.

Everything seems well built and solid. I have no complaints other than the smell, and the small light that comes with it is pretty small.

Highly reccomended for the price, especially as it's delivered for that price!

sniper4usmc
01-10-2011, 9:04 PM
Im gonna buy one,,when I move to Irvine next month

shakeyjake
01-11-2011, 6:53 AM
I got one of the big ones from costco and I love it.Bighorn cs seems very
good they have called me 3 times in 2 years just to see if Im happy with their product Id say go for it. If u have it delivered the drive will only drop it on the curb. I had to beg him to but it in my garage and he would not remove the pallet.

shakeyjake
01-11-2011, 6:56 AM
For lighting get a set of puck lights for Lowes.They're about 13 bucks for a back of three and have velcro tape one the back just as good as a costly light kit.

moneymaker88
01-11-2011, 5:00 PM
I bought one during the last sale in Septemeber and love it. It does have a bad smell which dissapates over a week. I find it to have a very good amount of space. But I only put my pistols, ammo and gear in it. I dont have any long guns. Slip the driver a 10 spot and they will help you out. Mine did.

GUNNTZ
01-11-2011, 7:44 PM
i'm thinking about getting one of these to replace my small AMSEC.. maybe i should get another AMSEC for $150 more.. only thing is, the AMSEC is 14awg while the bighorn is 12awg. i am, however, concerned about the smell.

i realize neither gauge is ideal, but it's just a though. the guy at the safe store told me awg doesn't matter anyway ;)

All of the AMSEC safes are 12 gauge welded steel except for a select few models, usually the very small safes. I like my TF6032 safe, flexible enough to hold lots of "stuff" :D

steve91104
01-11-2011, 9:05 PM
Bighorn Classic Series and Model 12ECC

Bighorn Classic series gun safes, are hands down the best value you can find. In each Classic safe, in addition to outstanding security features, you'll find it has a high quality fit and finish you would expect to find in safes costing twice as much. The Bighorn Classic safes are built with 12 gauge steel.

moneymaker88
01-11-2011, 9:27 PM
For lighting get a set of puck lights for Lowes.They're about 13 bucks for a back of three and have velcro tape one the back just as good as a costly light kit.

It comes with a led puck type of light that comes on and goes of automatically. It is not as bright as some of the puck lights but seems ok.

reefer_bob
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
My driver asked where I wanted it. I asked if we could roll it right into my garage. He said sure!

The LED light it comes with is meerly ok. It needs more light.

kophinos
01-13-2011, 1:17 PM
i'm still on the fence about getting this bighorn. i've been doing a bit of research and this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-1043297, seems to be all the around the best RSC for under $1000.

Hot Brass
01-17-2011, 5:22 AM
i'm still on the fence about getting this bighorn. i've been doing a bit of research and this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/safes/winchester-reg-gun-safe-1043297, seems to be all the around the best RSC for under $1000.

If want to keep your guns, get a residental security container made with the outer shell thicker than a quarter. That is called sheetmetal.

kophinos
01-17-2011, 8:41 AM
If want to keep your guns, get a residental security container made with the outer shell thicker than a quarter. That is called sheetmetal.

where do you see that the outside is 1/4 inch?

safeexpert
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
The Big Horn is a chinese safe. Here's the pros and cons. It's cheap, pro. It only lasts 30 minutes in a fire... Average fires are between 25-45 minutes. If you have a fire a little worse than normal, you loss everything... I'd spend the extra 300 dollars and get a real safe with 60 minute ratings that's built in the USA... I think it's worst it.