View Full Version : This list is confusing!

08-07-2006, 9:47 AM
So, a couple of weeks ago I was out of state and looking at an AK-type rifle. Some time ago I bought a saiga-style sporter stock and a ten-round magazine, and I have been casually looking for an off-list AK to convert to a sporter that I could then legally import into California. I had a copy of the kasler list with me (just in case) and tried to look it up.

Here is what the receiver said on the bottom,

and elsewhere, on the side, just under the serial number,

Yeah, ok, it looked like a duck. It was very much an "AK-style rifle," but with a sporter stock and a ten-round magazine, is this on the list, or not? The list does say "Norinco: AK-47 (all)," but does that cover the AKM/47S? It also has an entry for "Made in China: AKM" Does that cover this rifle?

I decided to leave the rifle and not try to bring it into California, but I was struck by the ambiguity and absurdity of the list.

08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Walk away. This'd be considered listed. Even though there's some open issues, you don't need the court fight.

There's a lot of unlisted AK patterns out there, get one of those.

08-07-2006, 7:28 PM
I used to own one of those. It's made by Norinco in China and it's definately not legal to bring into the state now. I sold mine because I didn't want to register it and be on a government list, a big mistake. If you want a legal AK to bring into CA, get a WASR or one of the other Romanian AK's. Just make it SB23 compliant before returning with it, though.

08-08-2006, 12:36 AM
I had a Norinco AK and also some other Norinco goodies prior to the 2000 ban. I rarely miss the 10 MOA "accuracy" of these guns. Although I do feel kinda cheesy for having put a $25 Walmart Scope on my Norinco AK LOL :D!