PDA

View Full Version : White House delays BATFE "two or more" reporting regulation

CaliforniaLiberal
01-07-2011, 4:23 AM
White House tightening of Mexico border gun rules delayed
(2011-01-06) Reuters-

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wxel/news.newsmain/article/0/0/1745893/National/White.House.tightening.of.Mexico.border.gun.rules. delayed

...A planned Obama administration clampdown on Mexico border gun dealers which would require them to report multiple assault rifle sales has been delayed by the White House amid stiff opposition from the powerful gun lobby....

....the powerful National Rifle Association, which lobbies tirelessly for gun rights, has slammed the Obama administration for using Mexican cartel violence as a pretext to impose registration on gun sales.

"This is just a shallow excuse to engage in a sweeping firearms registration scheme," NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre said in a post splashed on the group's website last month.

"The NRA will do everything in its power to stop these 'emergency requirements' from taking effect," he added....

Not sure if we're done with this particular issue yet.

NSR500
01-07-2011, 4:27 AM
I'm happy to see this. Hopefully it is completely stopped in it's tracks and defeated.

glockwise2000
01-07-2011, 4:30 AM
This is great news for now. Just as NSR500 said, I hope this gets defeated.

GM4spd
01-07-2011, 4:40 AM
Obama doesn't need to be given anymore power--the guy is out of control.
He is in the process of trying to ruin this country and he was off to a good
start until a few months ago. Pete

halifax
01-07-2011, 4:59 AM
About 90 percent of the crime guns seized and traced in Mexico last year were initially sold in the United States, according to ATF. Investigators say around three-quarters of traces lead back to sales in the four states flanking the U.S. border.

This "iron river" of firearms flowing south to the drug cartels includes high powered Kalashnikov and AR-15 rifles toted by cartel hitmen across Mexico, and decorative .38 caliber pistols popular with drug kingpins.

:rolleyes:

Will this BS ever stop?

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/counting-mexicos-guns/

yellowfin
01-07-2011, 5:36 AM

Will this BS ever stop?Not so long as it costs them nothing.

cdtx2001
01-07-2011, 7:32 AM
Not so long as it costs them nothing.

It would be nice if it cost them their job.

RRangel
01-07-2011, 8:36 AM
When BATFE does not have authority from congress to collect such information in the first place that's what happens. Though legally they can do it with handguns.

PsychGuy274
01-07-2011, 8:37 AM
Awesome. I wonder how long it's gonna take the Brady Bunch to spin this into a win for themselves.

Stonewalker
01-07-2011, 9:11 AM

Will this BS ever stop?

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/04/counting-mexicos-guns/

That factcheck article is a great starting point. It's pretty honest. But don't forget that it does not address these facts:
-most guns sold in the 1 Mexican gun store are American-made
-the cartels are armed with full-autos and explosives, which are not available in US gun stores
-150,000 deserters from the Mexican army in the past 6 years

The BS is infuriating.

Dr Rockso
01-07-2011, 9:19 AM
That factcheck article is a great starting point. It's pretty honest. But don't forget that it does not address these facts:
-most guns sold in the 1 Mexican gun store are American-made
-the cartels are armed with full-autos and explosives, which are not available in US gun stores
-150,000 deserters from the Mexican army in the past 6 years

The BS is infuriating.

Yep...I wish I could find the network news (CNN, perhaps?) article from a year or two back...they had a big hi-res photo of a row of about 50 Colt M-16A2s. Looked like they'd come right out of a military armory, you could clearly see the hole for the auto-sear on all of the ones in the foreground. The news article claimed they were all traced to having been manufactured in the United States (duh...), implying that they were bought from gun shows or gun stores. Total bull****.

Uriah02
01-07-2011, 9:44 AM
I am pretty sure factcheck.org is funded by a liberal organization too, interesting...

Robidouxs
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
This is interesting since the largest caliber handgun you can purchase is .38. The one and only legal shop you can buy guns in Mexico is in Mexico City.

jdberger
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I am pretty sure factcheck.org is funded by a liberal organization too, interesting...

Factcheck is partially funded by the Annenberg Public Policy Center.

Further - you handicap yourself by assuming that "liberals" universally favor increased gun control. As stated in one member's sig, "The problem with Gun Rights is that the Left hates Guns and the Right hates Rights".

jdberger
01-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Oh - and another win (no matter how temporary) for the NRA.

This is where your donations and membership dollars go.

bohoki
01-07-2011, 1:40 PM
if they are allowed to require reporting of 2 or more handguns why not autoloading centerfire rifles as well?

i mean if you are going to infringe on a right why not go whole hog

RRangel
01-07-2011, 1:42 PM
if they are allowed to require reporting of 2 or more handguns why not autoloading centerfire rifles as well?

i mean if you are going to infringe on a right why not go whole hog

Like I mentioned previously. Because of Congress. The proposal is a trial balloon.

dustoff31
01-07-2011, 1:56 PM

Yes it is.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2104053/posts

The fact is, the ANNENBERG Public Policy Center (APPC), the sponsoring agency behind FastCheck.org, is itself supported by the same foundation, the ANNENBERG FOUNDATION, that Bill Ayers secured the 49.2 million dollars from to create the Chicago ANNENBERG Challenge “philanthropic” organization in which Barack Obama was the founding Chairman of the Board for and Ayers served as the grant writer of and co-Chair of for its two operating arms.

bussda
01-07-2011, 6:29 PM
There appears to be a little controversy around this right now. BATFE is investigating if a BATFE office allowed smuggling of AR-15s into Mexico.

GrayWolf09
01-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Wait a second! Guns and drugs maybe we should get Ollie North. I hear he's good at organizing things like this.

Ruben Navarette blames Obama for killing these regulations. Obama? Pro gun? OMG some of the folk on here are going to stroke out!:mnl:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17017340?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

CalNRA
01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Ruben Navarette blames Obama for killing these regulations. Obama? Pro gun? OMG some of the folk on here are going to stroke out!:mnl:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17017340?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com

you didn't read the OP, did you?

...A planned Obama administration clampdown on Mexico border gun dealers which would require them to report multiple assault rifle sales has been delayed by the White House amid stiff opposition from the powerful gun lobby....

it's Obama's idea. He delays it. For you it means he is "pro gun". For most people who can read the NRA is doing its job.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-08-2011, 5:17 AM
http://www.themonitor.com/news/new-46049-dealers-gun.html

"....Gun rights activists in Hidalgo County breathed a hesitant sigh of relief this week after the White House postponed issuing new rules that would have tightened reporting standards on border assault rifle dealers.

The Office of Management and Budget was expected on Wednesday to approve new guidelines requiring dealers in Texas, Arizona, California and New Mexico to report any sale of two or more .22 caliber or higher semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines to the same person within five days.

Even the temporary delay of these rules inspired a bit of hope in Kevin Ramsey, owner of five guns and vice president of the Pharr Rifle and Pistol Club....."

"....“Current reporting standards are already bad enough,” he added. “It’s just a joke, all of it.”...."

Ford8N
01-08-2011, 5:19 AM
I don't care if Mexican drug dealers want to kill themselves in their country.

GrayWolf09
01-08-2011, 7:15 AM
you didn't read the OP, did you?

it's Obama's idea. He delays it. For you it means he is "pro gun". For most people who can read the NRA is doing its job.

Want me to call you an Amberlamps? ;)

Ed_in_Sac
01-08-2011, 7:20 AM
It wouldn't have done diddly for weapons going to Mexico as most aren't from private gun sales in the U.S. anyway. Glad it was stopped, if only temporarily.