PDA

View Full Version : Bring M1A to Reno Show?

dixieD
08-07-2006, 8:23 AM
I am interested in getting a USGI synthetic stock for my Springfield M1A. From those with M1As and Reno Gun show experience, do you think it is worthwhile for me to bring my rifle so that I can test the fit of the stock? Since the Spring M1A is not necessarily M14 milspec I was thinking it would be good to try a stock first to see what might need to be done to get it to fit. What is the policy for bringing a firearm into the show? Is it a hassle and not worth it, or reasonably straight forward?

Thanks for your advice.

D

50 Freak
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't think it'll be a problem, but bring your sales/reg papers so if you get stopped along the way home.

I like your idea, I may bring my M14 too as I'm looking for a good feeling synthetic stock for it.

bwiese
08-07-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think it'll be a problem, but bring your sales/reg papers so if you get stopped along the way home.

I like your idea, I may bring my M14 too as I'm looking for a good feeling synthetic stock for it.

Just get a factory synth stock from Springfield. I like their fit/feel. I ordered my M1A with one, didn't wanna lug around an extra 2lbs of wood.

Or, order a USGI-surplus fiberglass one from Fred's (he advertises in Shotgun News every issue or so...)

6172crew
08-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Call Ted Brown and have him bring you one, I dont ever remember seeing them at the Big Reno show, most of the time its wood that you will see.

Ted will bring you one if you ask and hes always setup where the 2 rooms join together.

anotherted
08-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Try Freds.

Sgt Raven
08-07-2006, 1:18 PM
Call Ted Brown and have him bring you one, I dont ever remember seeing them at the Big Reno show, most of the time its wood that you will see.

Ted will bring you one if you ask and hes always setup where the 2 rooms join together.

Ted isn't going to this show. He'll be back in Nov.

metalhead357
08-07-2006, 3:10 PM
Or, order a USGI-surplus fiberglass one from Fred's (he advertises in Shotgun News every issue or so...)

And they're CHEAP from him in comparision to many other places.

Big Reno show's just like any other~ you can bring it; they'll check it at the door~ and *sometimes* will place a zip tie down the action (I have never understood why I see some get zipped and some not.....:cool: )

But FWIW~ its a lotta weight to carry around a GS just to get a stock that you can have delivered to your door probabbly cheaper than one at the show.........

DrjonesUSA
08-07-2006, 3:41 PM
Since the Spring M1A is not necessarily M14 milspec I was thinking it would be good to try a stock first to see what might need to be done to get it to fit.

Your post doesn't make any sense; ALL of Springfield's synthetic stocks that they sell as part of their rifles ARE USGI, therefore their receivers ARE in spec.

Taking your rifle with you is a hassle you don't need to subject yourself to.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-07-2006, 4:57 PM
Don't get the SA Inc wrinkle finsh black synthetic stocks!! They are GI synthetic stocks painted with the wrinkle finish.. they paint flakes off easily will not last.

DrjonesUSA
08-07-2006, 4:59 PM
Don't get the SA Inc wrinkle finsh black synthetic stocks!! They are GI synthetic stocks painted with the wrinkle finish.. they paint flakes off easily will not last.

The finish is not superb.

Depending on price, you may be best served by getting a synthetic USGI stock from Fred's and refinishing it to your liking with quality materials.

Spray-on pickup bed liner is an interesting (and very durable) material that people have successfully used to refinish M1A stocks.

metalhead357
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM

Do you know what they're using????? I'm real curious as I'd love to do my syn. Its still sitting unsprayed. I've been tempted to try the Alumahyde II as I did on a syn Garand stock for that .308 ya' sold me; time will tell if it holds up or starts flaking~ but again I've wondered for a while just what he's using on his..................:confused:

dixieD
08-08-2006, 6:21 AM
Your post doesn't make any sense; ALL of Springfield's synthetic stocks that they sell as part of their rifles ARE USGI, therefore their receivers ARE in spec.

OK, I didn't know that the SA synthetic stocks are refinished GI stocks. The reason I said what I did is that my M1A is a newer model, and it has no USGI parts. The receiver is cast. I know that it is slightly out of milspec from the measurements that I made using the SADLAK receiver measuring kit for a scope mount. It is close, but not exactly within spec.

KrazyKevy
08-08-2006, 1:10 PM
I have a USGI synthetic stock I bought from Freds, that I want to get rid of. Comes complete with butt plate and everything, and ill throw in a handguard. I was planning to repaint it, but I got a wood stock instead. If anyone wants it PM me. 35 shipped.

mightymike
08-09-2006, 7:58 AM
Has anyone seen these stocks? Do you think they would be CA legal?

http://www.armusa.com/jae100stocks/jae-100-available-colors.htm

Omega13device
08-09-2006, 8:30 AM

Funny, I just shot mine last night and the imperfections in the wrinkle finish didn't affect its functionality or accuracy at all.

;)

Astig Boy
08-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Has anyone seen these stocks? Do you think they would be CA legal?

http://www.armusa.com/jae100stocks/jae-100-available-colors.htm

This question always gets asked. YES IT IS 100% CALI LEGAL!!!

It says it right on the front of their website. I believe they are on back order tho, many people outside of Cali want one as well.
http://www.jae100.com/index.html

50 Freak
08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I'd like one too, but the price has to come down significantly for me to plop that kinda change down.

mightymike
08-09-2006, 11:17 AM
How much are we talking?

50 Freak
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Last I heard it was something like $600+ bucks for the stock.

Astig Boy
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I'd like one two, but the price has to come down significantly for me to plop that kinda change down.

Think about it tho, that stock requires no bedding. That saves you a few hundred right off the bat. And that stock is stout and seems more versitile than the others.

mightymike
08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
It's cool, but not $600 bucks cool. That's half of another rifle.