PDA

View Full Version : boresnake for AR15?

NationsMostWanted
01-06-2011, 9:15 PM
I got the hoppe bore snake but it says its for a 223 but its way tight and seems like it will get stuck if i try to run it though? are you supposed to lube it first before trying to run it though?

Dexster
01-06-2011, 9:20 PM
Nope... btw... Boresnakes are terrible to use as a cleaner... It's like washing your car with a dirty bucket of water IMO... If you don't believe me clean how you normally would and then clean it the old way with a rode and pads... I bet you will bring out some neat things :D

(incoming insults...)

EWILKE
01-06-2011, 9:21 PM
There tight just wrap the string around your hand and pull smoothly it will go but will shoot out the end of the barrel when it comes out.

NationsMostWanted
01-06-2011, 9:35 PM
i ordered it thru ebay but cant really return it...yea i dont like how tight it is once its...im reading some problems with it online thru google as well.

racky
01-06-2011, 9:45 PM
Nope... btw... Boresnakes are terrible to use as a cleaner... It's like washing your car with a dirty bucket of water IMO... If you don't believe me clean how you normally would and then clean it the old way with a rode and pads... I bet you will bring out some neat things :D

(incoming insults...)

i love my boresnake. i keep it in the magpul grip. they're washable btw.

Dexster
01-06-2011, 9:53 PM
Yep, totally understand that it's washable but many folks think that a quick boresnake = clean gun and neglects the rest of the needs...

BTW: I'm a old 60th APSer :) 07

dlouie87
01-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I use my bore snake as a quick "clean"... it works to an extent. When I have time, I'll clean with a rod and patch.

Redlinegts
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Boresnakes work really well for quick cleanings between range trips, but after about 2k rounds, that's when I break out the Tipton one piece rod, solvents, patches and jags to clean it out.

Saym14
01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Boresnakes work really well for quick cleanings between range trips, but after about 2k rounds, that's when I break out the Tipton one piece rod, solvents, patches and jags to clean it out.

this, and yes they are alwy tight the first time. :rolleyes:

WilliamAnderson
01-07-2011, 6:21 PM
my boresnake works great. Love it.

NationsMostWanted
01-08-2011, 9:42 PM
yea after the first few trys...seemed to get stuck so i stopped trying for now.

Merc1138
01-09-2011, 3:46 AM

Then you aren't pulling hard enough. It's supposed to be tight. If it were loose and just slid right through the barrel it wouldn't do anything.

Drop the weight through the barrel, wrap the cord around your hand, make a fist, and pull it through. You're making it sound more difficult than it really is, it's not a complicated process and it's not like you have to tie it to the bumper of a car to get it though the barrel. Your rifle is not a delicate precision instrument, and a piece of cloth is sure in the heck not going to damage the steel.

NorCalRedneck
01-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Drop the cord through and then step on it (with shoes on) and then pull the gun up. It's very tight but once it starts going it will slip right out. Don't worry you won't hurt the rifle.

chesterthehero
01-16-2011, 5:00 PM
i love mine.. no it does not clean as well as rod/patches but it does get the major chunks out in under 10 seconds..

GMG
01-16-2011, 7:12 PM
i love mine.. no it does not clean as well as rod/patches but it does get the major chunks out in under 10 seconds..

It's a quick fix.

evidens83
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
If its not tight then how do you expect it to clean???
+1 for boresnakes for quick cleanings

Recession
01-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Go to the gym, lift a few weights, gain some muscle.... then try again. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, you need to use a bit of elbow grease to pull the thing through. I always end up with cord marks on my hand after pulling it through a few times.