PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Game size- HELP!!!

phatgranny
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
As mentioned a a previous related thread, I recently purchased a Ruger PC9 Carbine with Ghost Ring sights. Several people have agreed that a 9mm (even with +p+ hollowpoint) sounds mediocre at best for deer hunting. Obviously 9mm would have NO promblem with squirrels and rabbits, but I wanted to know if there are any size of game that are in betweetn rabbits and deer, in which a 9mm +p+ hollowpoint would be feasable to use.

Thanks again!

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 10:19 PM
As mentioned a a previous related thread, I recently purchased a Ruger PC9 Carbine with Ghost Ring sights. Several people have agreed that a 9mm (even with +p+ hollowpoint) sounds mediocre at best for deer hunting. Obviously 9mm would have NO promblem with squirrels and rabbits, but I wanted to know if there are any size of game that are in betweetn rabbits and deer, in which a 9mm +p+ hollowpoint would be feasable to use.

Thanks again!

Raccoons and other similar size game.

phatgranny
08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks! I'll feel just like Davy Crocket! Now i just need to learn how to skin....
But seriously, where would such a creature be located? I live in California, so most of the state is accessible, where cood i go to hunt a Racoon?
Thanks again.

maschronic
08-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks! I'll feel just like Davy Crocket! Now i just need to learn how to skin....
But seriously, where would such a creature be located? I live in California, so most of the state is accessible, where cood i go to hunt a Racoon?
Thanks again.

there are plenty in Irvine!!! :) even coyotes and bunnies!!!! i see them from my balcony. :D

VeryCoolCat
08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm going to butt in here.

I honestly don't see any feasible use for 9mm other than self defense or target.

FACT: You cannot hunt Raccoon using standard 9mm ammunition. You are required to use "buck shot or shot shell" if anyone tells you otherwise then they don't understand the law and the way raccoon's live.

Maybe you can take a small deer, or pigs, but a regular rifle would be more better.

You obviously new to this, so I should tell you... you must apply for a hunting permit and take a hunting safety class before you can shoot any wild animals.

9mm is a little too big for the common varmint and isn't large enough for a real take. Maybe turkey sized... but you are also required to use shot shell (buckshot) ammo in many critters in that category.

maschronic
08-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm going to butt in here.

I honestly don't see any feasible use for 9mm other than self defense or target.

FACT: You cannot hunt Raccoon using standard 9mm ammunition. You are required to use "buck shot or shot shell" if anyone tells you otherwise then they don't understand the law and the way raccoon's live.

Maybe you can take a small deer, or pigs, but a regular rifle would be more better.

You obviously new to this, so I should tell you... you must apply for a hunting permit and take a hunting safety class before you can shoot any wild animals.

VCC, just curious....is that your real cat or just a pic of one?? to me, the pic of the cat seems very lax and likes to be scratched.

VeryCoolCat
08-06-2006, 10:40 PM
VCC, just curious....is that your real cat or just a pic of one?? to me, the pic of the cat seems very lax and likes to be scratched.

Its my real cat, he dislikes being held/pet except when hes eating. He likes to play fight a lot. He was a wild cat.

maschronic
08-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Its my real cat, he dislikes being held/pet except when hes eating. He likes to play fight a lot. He was a wild cat.

right on!!!! cats are kewl, but i'm so allergic to them. i can't be around them.