View Full Version : 1894c ammo

08-06-2006, 7:10 PM
i just got my marlin 1894c a few weeks ago and when reading the manuel it says that i cant use semi wad cutters and also that the ammo has to be between this length and that length. well i had some full metal jackets that are too short and some round nose lead that are too long. im stocked up on many brands and also bought 1000 rounds of swc in anticipation of getting this rifle. my question is why is there such a restriction on 357mag and 38special is it actually not that picky

08-06-2006, 7:24 PM
my 1894C has eaten anything i've put in it.

08-06-2006, 7:28 PM
.357 lever guns can be tempermental beasts and even among the same manufacturer can vary in their pickiness for ammo. I had a Marlin that would feed anything. And some have Marlins that won't run on .38s.

Won't know until you try it.

I bought 500 rounds from a company in Texas that reloads for Cowboy Action Shooters and loads to dimensions specified by Steve Young (one of the top Cowboy Action gunsmiths and a very nice and helpful guy).

It was over a year ago that I ordered the ammo and am drawing a blank on the company...but you can contact Steve and ask.

Cheers and I never should have parted with my Marlin.

08-06-2006, 7:37 PM
i dont have a problem trying what i have. i was just asking because i dont want to hurt my gun(2nd) or anyone(1st) and knowledge is a good thing

08-06-2006, 11:12 PM
If you shoot SWCs in your rifle, just be aware that you'll need to regularly clean for lead. If your rifle will feed it, then go for it, but the manufacturer might void the warranty if it realizes you've been shooting it and then have a problem associated with it.

Other than that, it should be relatively easy to figure out if your rifle will shoot it or not. And no, it shouldn't be a concern. Just try it and see how finicky your particular rifle is.

08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Also,don't shoot any roundnose ammo through your rifle. It could possibly create a condition where the bullet could touch off the pistol primer in the round ahead of it in the magazine tube during recoil which would pretty much spoil your day(and your face). I mention this only because you stated that you do have some roundnose lead ammo that you wanted to use for it.