PDA

View Full Version : Got a coyote situation tonight...need some advice

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 6:32 PM
Ok here is the situation. Got an Ostrich farmer who has had 30 birds killed in the last 2 weeks by a supposed pack of 20+ coyotes. 6 of the birds were adult (350lbs he says) and the rest were young of unknown weight. He put an ad in the paper and someone has been calling the area everyday since monday morning.
I called him and my friend and I have the farm for tonight and tomorrow night. OK now people have been calling every night and morning with no luck. The last bird was killed Sunday. No coyotes were seen until this morning according to the farmer. Here are my thoughts. The coyotes havent fed ON OSTRICH since sunday, might be getting hungry? No coyotes have been seen since Sunday until this morning, also adding to my feeling of they are getting hungry.
Call will be pointless since the area has been called steady since Monday morning.
Our plan of attack is to not use calls. There is a tractor trailer there and we will be on top of the trailer, elevation and some concealment. There is no wind tonight and they can only come from one direction. Any other ideas?

Argonaut
01-06-2011, 6:38 PM
sounds more like feral dogs.....NVG and IR scopes

1lostinspace
01-06-2011, 6:50 PM
Land mines!

180ls1
01-06-2011, 6:52 PM
call the USDA, they have people that deal with these issues. That will help, they are allowed to set traps and poison which are very effective. Hope that helps.

edit: USDA not FDA, hahaha

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 6:55 PM
Road kill or dead ostrich available? Not alot of trees in the high desert. But hanging dead smelly critters about 5 feet off the ground really makes a hungry dog think for a while. One way in means chances are good they will smell you most likely if the wind does come in behind you. Lay down some bait if you can about 30 yards out. A good surefire or fenix will give you enough light possibly. Don't know what you are working with optics wise. I would say take a break from calling them. But if you have a distress use it only if you hear them close by tonight. I have yet in all my coyote hunting seen a pack of 20 working together. I'm going to side with Argo. I have come into contact with large packs of wild dogs around Lucerne and Stoddard. Good luck!

antonio
01-06-2011, 7:02 PM
I am guessing this is the Ranch

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/grande-25193-oro-ostrich.html

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 7:07 PM
I forgot to add the :rolleyes: when I said there was a pack of 20+ coyotes. The farm is in Oro Grande right next to the Mojave river bed. We both have red lens spotlights (3 million CP). My friend walked the property yesterday, I had to work but he says the Ostrich carcasses are pilled up on the property in a couple locations.
Optics wise both rifles have 3-9x50 scopes. Also bringing my 12g that has a red dot, 22 inch barrel and a turkey choke on it right now. We are bringing mouth calls and electric calls but like I said, dont plan to use them.
Im all out of landmines and my walmart doesnt carry them;). My buddy just picked up a night vision type gizmo from his uncle. A monocular I think (cheapo). Leaving in an hour just trying to get some fresh ideas from the forum. Trying to think outside the box on this one being crippled with the calls.

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 7:07 PM
I am guessing this is the Ranch

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/grande-25193-oro-ostrich.html

Yup thats it. Maybe 15 miles from my home. He is offering up $50 per coyote but we told him to keep the money. Making friends with a landowner that has access to the river bottom is worth way more than that to us.

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 7:11 PM
One more thing. I kill just as many dogs at high noon as I do at night. Maybe you guys have day jobs but I know for a fact if theres that many they are in the area when the sun is up. They don't all have holes or dens to go curl up in. I find them sleeping in places you normally wouldn't think to look. Under abandoned cars, flood control channels, tall weeds, small shrubs, next to rocks the list goes on. Please post pics if you nail some yotes. I personally don't care to see dead dogs feral or domestic. Just sayin.

Saigon1965
01-06-2011, 7:14 PM
Call Procoyotehuner -

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 7:14 PM
One more thing. I kill just as many dogs at high noon as I do at night. Maybe you guys have day jobs but I know for a fact if theres that many they are in the area when the sun is up. They don't all have holes or dens to go curlup in. I find them sleeping in places you normally wouldn't think to look. Under abandoned cars, flood control channels, tall weeds, small shrubs, next to rocks the list goes on.

Yes the job keeps getting in the way of me having fun:D. I personally have done well both day and night but prefer a morning hunt to be honest. This guy has had so many calls you have to "book" a time slot and these next 2 nights were all we could get.

lewdogg21
01-06-2011, 7:18 PM
This could be epic. Keep us posted

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 7:31 PM
I personally don't care to see dead dogs feral or domestic. Just sayin.
Yea this is a worry of mine. While hunting the river bottom by my house a couple nights ago we called in a nice Bobcat, my first this season. Unfortunatly we also called in 4 feral/loose dogs and the cat bolted quick. I know the ferals are here so I assume they are there as well.

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 7:33 PM
Well hopefully tomorrow your post will look something along the lines of this below. Good luck and I will be back expecting a full report.

In this photo a few years back I was dressed up to head out to a stand at the families cattle ranch. Walked out on the front porch saw the dog strolling through the pasture about 200 yards in belly high grass. I went prone on the porch with my Harris bi-pods.
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/40683/2439745360012641935S600x600Q85.jpg

The second photo take note of my lovely choice of camo clothing, work pants and a navy blue t-shirt. Just another day at the ranch hadning out dirt naps. :D
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/20078/2487226990012641935S600x600Q85.jpg

cruddymutt
01-06-2011, 7:40 PM
Well hopefully tomorrow your post will look something along the lines of this below. Good luck and I will be back expecting a full report.

In this photo a few years back I was dressed up to head out to a stand at the families cattle ranch. Walked out on the front porch saw the dog strolling through the pasture about 200 yards in belly high grass. I went prone on the porch with my Harris bi-pods.
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/40683/2439745360012641935S600x600Q85.jpg

The second photo take note of my lovely choice of camo clothing, work pants and a navy blue t-shirt. Just another day at the ranch hadning out dirt naps. :D
http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/20078/2487226990012641935S600x600Q85.jpg

Very nice. Im hoping for a good night but expecting to draw a blank. Im all suited and booted just waiting for my buddy to pull up. Still no wind, semi-clear skies, temp is 45 right now and dropping. Not much of a moon tonight though.

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 7:52 PM
Now that there is press on this, expect the unexpected to show up down range or in your stand, tree huggers and PETA ferrys.

CavTrooper
01-06-2011, 8:00 PM
sounds more like feral dogs.....NVG and IR scopes

Both illegal to hunt with.

CavTrooper
01-06-2011, 8:03 PM
Too funny.

With all the activity the rancher wont have to worry about coyotes anymore, yall gonna scare em away.

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 8:04 PM
Both illegal to hunt with.
Even in livestock predation scenarios like this? I would bet Fish and Game will look the other way in this circumstance.

Shoot-it
01-06-2011, 8:08 PM
Did you check out the tracks is it coyotes or maybe a big cat etc.
Read below that local news link.
coyotes were here first ETc what a bunch of tree huggers.

CavTrooper
01-06-2011, 8:14 PM
Even in livestock predation scenarios like this? I would bet Fish and Game will look the other way in this circumstance.

Unless you are a government hunter or someone special, but your average richard wont get a pass from DFG.

DirtyDave
01-06-2011, 8:44 PM
I would try some howling maybe to get them interested in coming back. Make it seem like there are other yotes getting to their birds or inviting them to come play

180ls1
01-06-2011, 8:56 PM
Unless you are a government hunter or someone special, but your average richard wont get a pass from DFG.

This is true, the USDA used to be able to "deputize" people who were having problems so they could trap, poison and do other things a normal person couldnt but our state is so awesome now that they dont allow that anymore.

How cool would that have been?

cruddymutt
01-07-2011, 2:14 AM
Well I got back bout an hour ago. Finished up puttin all the gear away. Here is how tonight went, now remember my friend scouted yesterday, I didnt.
Got there around 915. Called the rancher to let him know we were there. He met us at the gate around 930 and we chatted a bit. I asked him what sounds the ostrich would make if they were alarmed and he demonstrated it for us. Real nice guy. While we were talking to him about what had been going on we heard coyotes calling from behind his property from the river bottom. We jumped in the truck, drove to the parking area and walked in. We set up on top of the box trailer, wrong move. That thing was loud. The quieter we tried to be it seemed the louder we were.
We sat motionless for about a half hour and heard nothing. Tried some coyote greetings or something Im not sure it was on my friends MP3. Got nothing. About an hour in, we hear one of the ostrich doing the exact noise he told they would do if they were alarmed. Hmm we got alert, scanned with the light and nothing.
Around 1100ish we hear some rustling in the trees in the river bottom. Scanned the light and saw 2 owls flying around, pretty cool. 1130ish, we hear coyotes but they are far. Tried the calls but go no response. At 1200 I called it done. We decided to walk out into the river bottom and see whats out there, tracks, poo, etc. Well we found tracks and lots of them. Rabbit, dog, cat it was all there. We also found out that there was a 10 foot cliff from the ranchers land to the river bottom. There coulda been a million dogs in there and we never would have seen em. We ended up finding where they get up out of the river bottom, about 500yards from where we were and the game trail went away from us. We didnt stand a chance.
Anyway, new plan of attack for tomorrow. Going to cover that opening and the game trail and get there a couple hours sooner. Going to bed calgunners. Round 2 update tomorrow;)

tony270
01-07-2011, 4:28 AM
The only way to get them now is to hunt the avenues of approach to the baited area, place the bait in a funnel, that way you can control the avenues of approach. Another tactic is to have other hunters post up on the avenues of approach to a caller. Don’t discount calling in the daylight now that the coyotes know what you’re doing, but still use remote shooters, that can be dangerous so be careful and safe. Those coyotes will not respond within shooting range to that call now that they are schooled. They won’t move to another range either, they just wait you out. If you guys keep pressing them they just stay low until the coast is clear.

Another way is to post up in the daylight hours and wait for them to patrol by. I catch them like that all the time. I’m assuming that the farmer has a depredation permit because that area is restricted to daylight shooting and shotgun only.

PM Me if you need some help.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-07-2011, 6:51 AM
Are you headed out with Steve? He called me yesterday.

cruddymutt
01-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Nope no Steve in my group. Would love to hunt this area at first light but remember its a "by appointment" area due to the publicity. There is another hunter there right now I am sure of it.
Found one of the coyotes access trails from the river bottom to the land so thats a definate place to watch. According to tracks I estimate maybe 5 or 6 dogs, Im just not seeing 20+ like reports have said.

rumblebee
01-07-2011, 10:32 AM
sounds like some coyotes (and\or pack dogs) are going to get well ed-u-ma-ca-ted, real quick :43:

good luck

Nope no Steve in my group. Would love to hunt this area at first light but remember its a "by appointment" area due to the publicity. There is another hunter there right now I am sure of it.
Found one of the coyotes access trails from the river bottom to the land so thats a definate place to watch. According to tracks I estimate maybe 5 or 6 dogs, Im just not seeing 20+ like reports have said.

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
sounds like it's going to be tough to call them in, with so many people out there. If it were me, I'd set a handfull of large cat traps in the area, in spots where no one will come and steal your $50 dogs.

tacticalcity
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I have no clue what the law says, but my first thoughts were sound effects.

Boom! Click-clack. Boom! Click-clack. "Got 'em! Now where did my brass go?"

Shoot-it
01-07-2011, 4:16 PM
Have you tied calling like early in the morning?

Someone one with a trapper license would be the best bet . The just use a snare.

Baxter
01-07-2011, 10:19 PM
For $50 a dog, no adc/trapper would touch that property.
Best bet is to loose the guns and learn how to set snares at some areas along the fence line. For that area I would have the rancher call Mike Flick at http://www.anytimeanimalcontrol.com/ he is very good at getting dogs. He might cost some dough but probably less than a couple of ostriches.
Also don't bother with a box trap, very difficult and time consuming.

cruddymutt
01-08-2011, 1:32 AM
Well went back out tonight. We got there at 730 and set up IN the river bottom. Sat for 2 hours and heard absolutly nothing. Decided to call it quits and hunt some of our own areas. The owner said we could come out tomorrow night but I declined, my friend might go though. Feel like I wasted a night and a half there, too much pressure.
Went to a spot where we have seen a few coyotes before and called in 3 owls and 2 Kit Fox. One owl was really looking at my decoy pretty hard, thought I might have to fight him for it:).
Also hit a spot 2 miles from my house where we have done very well. Called in 2 Kit Fox (I wish we could shoot them, see em all the time) and got busted by 2 coyotes. They came from a weird spot and came in fast. Unfortunatly that weird spot was behind us.
Taking my daughter out for a bobcat tomorrow. Got tags to fill and I know where there is a nice one. Called it in 2 weeks ago and my daughter didnt realize she had her scope at 9x, she couldnt see it. I shouldve checked for her.

D Harry
01-08-2011, 9:40 AM
Seems like you need to be more patient and wait all night, not just 2 hours.

tony270
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
He said it, too much pressure.

I was just calling from a granite rock outcropping and had a yote respond to the wild piglet in distress call. That was about 2 hours ago. It came in from upwind at a charge and started to circle me at 150/200 yards, and then it disappeared into a small wash. Then it winded my after working its way downwind to within 25 yards. I never got a shot off.

Good Luck on the Cat.

cruddymutt
01-08-2011, 5:48 PM
Seems like you need to be more patient and wait all night, not just 2 hours.

You gotta remember and I posted this earlier. The spot has been called steady by other hunters since monday morning. Its over hunted and the coyotes are way educated now. Not one coyote has been killed and 1 ostrich was killed wed. night WHILE HUNTERS WERE THERE! Good luck to whoever tries there next:)

DirtNapKing
01-08-2011, 7:46 PM
Time to put on your ostrich suit and do the floppy chicken. Come on, take one for the team. :D

ostrichman2000@aol.com
01-11-2011, 9:21 PM
Just a heads up gentlemen. Last night some critters dragged a 150 lb carcass about 30 feet and dined on it. Every morning I see new prints. Tonight 3 new folks are putting in a night camera, please do not disturb them. Jimmy the county guy has installed snars, tomorrow morning he is going to show me where they are so I can mark them. They are here everynight, probably later than most want to stay up, but none the less they are here. Doug Osborne Ostrichman

Eric Mayer
01-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Doug,

I hope someone is able to stop the depredation on your birds. I saw a lot of loss when I was depredation trapping. No one understands how fast you can lose everything when your livelihood keeps getting eaten up.

I think the snares will be the best thing for your situation. I hope they work!

Please keep us updated.

Eric :cool:

5shot
01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Just a heads up gentlemen. Last night some critters dragged a 150 lb carcass about 30 feet and dined on it. Every morning I see new prints. Tonight 3 new folks are putting in a night camera, please do not disturb them. Jimmy the county guy has installed snars, tomorrow morning he is going to show me where they are so I can mark them. They are here everynight, probably later than most want to stay up, but none the less they are here. Doug Osborne Ostrichman

Good luck. Hope your problem gets taken care of soon.

DirtNapKing
01-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome aboard Doug! Thanks for joining and chiming in here. I'm down the hill and I would love to put some time in. It's a smidge of a drive but I might be able to lend my name to your waiting list. My cousin lives at Spring Valley Lake. I will run this by him and see what he thinks. I posted my resume on this thread in a previous post. :D

winxp_man
01-12-2011, 2:51 PM
From my experience of night hunting coyote,bob cat, and fox........ the best thing to do to keep a low profile is use red head mount lights and a good call. From what I can say is that out of the three animals I hunted the coyotes are most sensitive out of all. They will spook faster than all three. The gray fox seem the dumbest out of all. I had one get shot at by my buddies shotty and he missed. We left the caller on full blast only to find that the fox swung around behind us wanting another round in his face :D

I usually bust out the bigger lights after spotting the animals. just my two cent. Also some of these yotes if scared once it will be a while before they come back.

5shot
01-12-2011, 3:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be feral dogs. There's quite a few running around the high desert, and I've seen several in the Mojave River area.
Last saturday, we were out calling in Phelan. Called in 1 coyote and 1 scraggly looking dog. But neither came within shotgun range.

CavTrooper
01-12-2011, 4:38 PM
If a guy is concerned about his livelihood, he wouldve called trappers in right off the bat. Bringing a bunch of amateur predator hunters in only serves to make the coyotes smarter causing you to lose more animals.

I love coyote hunting as much as anyone, but when youre dealing with a business, you need professionals (real professionals, not internet professionals).

Call in some real trappers and get the job done right.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-12-2011, 5:02 PM
I agree. I have been called by the guy but it is a waste of my expertise since these coyotes have now been conditioned. I would also have to agree that these dogs are probably feral dogs tht are packed up since I see a lot in that area that I shoot on sight. If there is no collar and does not look healthy I shoot it.

DirtNapKing
01-12-2011, 5:22 PM
you need professionals (real professionals, not internet professionals).
According to your replies here at CGN you seem to be a professional at everything. :cool:

Eric Mayer
01-12-2011, 6:19 PM
I don't know the full story, but my experience has shown that county or federal trappers are swamped and it sometimes takes a while for them to get out there. Many of my paid depredation trapping jobs were because the government trappers did not have the time to make it out right away.

Eric :cool:

cruddymutt
01-12-2011, 6:21 PM
Doug is a good guy. If anyone goes out there and talks to him ask him to make the "ostrich warning" call. The guy is spot on haha! There are coyotes there. We heard them while talking to Doug out by his gate at 2130hrs Thursday night. I also saw Bobcat tracks in the river bottom.
My friend and I are not professionals by any means. Just a couple of average Joes trying our luck and seeing if we could help. We obviously didnt.
Hope everything works out for you Doug and thanks for letting us come out and try.

CavTrooper
01-12-2011, 6:33 PM
According to your replies here at CGN you seem to be a professional at everything. :cool:

Thanks for the compliment, but I can assure you, Im no professional, just an amateur with experience.