View Full Version : Smoked pheasant

01-06-2011, 5:15 PM
My awesome wife (AKA Santa) gave me a big chief smoker for Christmas and I was wandering if anyone has smoked pheasant in theirs before.

How did it come out?
Any tricks or special things to know?

The recipe book only takes it so far.

01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Comes out well.

I used our smoker for Chukkar, Pheasant, Quail, etc. Biggest improvement I saw was the meat stayed moister than when I tried grilling or other methods.

Watching the temprature is important. I started out usually getting it too hot.

You can get a remote thermometer to monitor the temperature so you don't overdo it.

Smoker is also great for making your own jerky.

01-17-2011, 2:36 PM
i make sausage with my pheasant and smoke it for about two hours then finish it in the oven. it is a lot of work but well worth it.apple wood is one of the better woods ive used not too strong hickory seems to be too over powering for the pheasant. good luck

01-17-2011, 9:41 PM
Thanks guys...

Postal- Are you stuffing the pheasant or grinding it into sausage. Either way, how do you do it. PM me if you like.

Orchard- My smoker gets about 150F, is that to hot? What is your finshed temp... I have heard 160F

01-18-2011, 1:28 PM
debone pheasant , cut into strips,put into stainless steel bowl on ice,weigh meat ,add 30% fat you can use chicken skin salted pork or bacon all are good,add seasoning i use a polish sausage recipe,grind meat very coarse,mix meat till its tacky, put in fridge for 12 hrs,now the fun part fry a small patty in a pan or cook in microwave taste for seasoning, if ok now you can case sausage with jerky cannon or with sausage stuffer or what ever you have, or just sealomeal bulk sausage, if you use natural casing put in the fridge over night before freezing, snack sticks are also good.you can stop there or you can smoke sausage for two hours,then finish in the oven at 180 deg till meat reaches 165 deg
this just the way i do it im self tought, so i might do it differant than billy bob joe
have fun and remember that most birds still have a little shot left in them so chew very carefully

(no animals were harmed in the making of this recipe)