View Full Version : Substitute for M1 garand multi tool?

01-06-2011, 4:59 PM
I'll get one, but don't have one yet. Want to completely strip my M1 however and was wondering what possible common/semi common tool could be used for the gas plug? If no one knows of anything I'll just field strip and clean for now, but would like to do a deeper clean if possilbe

01-06-2011, 8:44 PM
I've got a crazy big philips screwdriver that works great.

01-06-2011, 8:50 PM
Just don't deep clean too often. Removing and reinstalling the gas cylinder wears down the barrel splines and can result in a loose fitting cylinder and reduced accuracy.

SoCal Bob
01-06-2011, 8:51 PM
I read where a 1/4" drive would do the job. I tried it and it worked well. Mine came out easily, otherwise I don't know how much torque I would have used before I would have tried something else.

01-06-2011, 8:56 PM
i used a butter knife...

01-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Yup found an old toilet flat head. Anyways I won't "deep clean" to often. This was the first time and had to get out more cosmo. All good, and I'm sure she feels cleaner too! In hind-sight I guess it was a dumb question, but for a moment i was stuck.

01-07-2011, 5:36 AM
The "read this first" CMP manual says you can use a wide flat screwdriver. Mine came off like panties on prom night, but i got lucky i guess. They say not to remove the tube, but loosing and retighting the nut a little will help break off carbon that might make it stick in the future

01-07-2011, 7:40 AM
Any big flat head (or philips if you can find big enough) should work. If it is really tight I suggest when you're at the range, send a few rounds down range (which heats up the bits) and try it there. Once you get it loose, retighten just as much as needed (no gorilla work). Then when leaving the range, loosen it so it is not torqued down at all.

Remember to not tighten too tight while it's hot or you will have lot of fun getting it loose.

As noted above I suggest you don't make the full disassembly a frequent thing as the splines on the barrel will get worn and things will get sloppy. In fact, my garands have been fully disassembled ONCE (recently after purchase for full cleaning and inspection).

The combo tool is MOST useful for working on the bolt (although a bolt disassembly tool is much easier).

01-07-2011, 2:29 PM
Only thing a combo tool is good for is cleaning the chamber ,JMO
Best thing to tighten the gas screw is nothing more than a 1/4 "drive extension on a ratchet.
All that is needed to strip the bolt is your fingers and a punch or bullet tip. I find it much easier than using the combo tool

01-08-2011, 6:46 AM
What Orlando says, and shows, works wonderfully.

The CMP also sells/used to sell a little compact wrench, handy at the range for other Garand shooters who have gas screws come loose (I've seen that happen in a match).

help break off carbon that might make it stick in the future

The Garand gas system cleans the carbon out itself, there's a fillet at the bottom rear of the gas cylinder that provides a path for the oprod to shovel carbon out. The gas cylinder screw won't stick because of carbon on the face, but if you pull it out and don't clean it, I'm sure mechanical contamination of the threads could cause sticking.

Put some high temp anti-seize (like for bike spark plugs) on there and it will stay tight without requiring massive torque, and you won't have your shots stringing vertically in a match.

Brian in CA