PDA

View Full Version : Threaded Barrel, Flash Suppressor, Lever Action

scarville
01-06-2011, 4:00 PM
I've been searching and reading all day and I'm still not clear if California law permits me to have a lever action or bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine, a threaded barrel and a flash hider.

So I'm asking here. Is it legal or not?

XDshooter
01-06-2011, 4:05 PM
Yes that is legal.

The short of it, assault weapons only pertain to:

1) Semi-auto centerfire rifles
2) Semi-auto pistols
3) Semi-auto shotguns
4) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php

--
Web

Sniper3142
01-06-2011, 4:15 PM
Threaded barrels are legal on all rifles and shotguns in California.

Threaded barrels are only illegal/restricted on handguns.

Go Navy
01-06-2011, 4:20 PM
I cannot add to those great answers, but I own a Savage bolt action in .243 with a detachable magazine, purchased at retail in Taxifornia.

scarville
01-06-2011, 5:19 PM
Thanks for the answers. My gut told me it was all legal but I wasn't sure of the combination.

I didn't know I could have a threaded barrel on a semiauto in CA

rabagley
01-06-2011, 5:45 PM
Threaded barrels are legal on all rifles and shotguns in California.

Threaded barrels are only illegal/restricted on handguns.

More precisely, a handgun with threaded barrel and a removable magazine makes a handgun into an "assault weapon", so you can use a threaded barrel in a glock (or any other handgun) if you also modify the magazine release so that you need a tool to use it.

bjl333
01-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I've been searching and reading all day and I'm still not clear if California law permits me to have a lever action or bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine, a threaded barrel and a flash hider.So I'm asking here. Is it legal or not?

:p:p I'd like to see that gun !!! :D:D

Bruce
01-06-2011, 11:56 PM
I had some simpleton in Georgia refuse to sell me a Romanian .22 bolt action rifle because it had a detachable magazine. He claimed that made it an "assault rifle" under California law. :rolleyes:

jtmkinsd
01-07-2011, 12:03 AM
I had some simpleton in Georgia refuse to sell me a Romanian .22 bolt action rifle because it had a detachable magazine. He claimed that made it an "assault rifle" under California law. :rolleyes:

They're not cranking out rocket scientists from GA last time I checked :p

Munk
01-07-2011, 1:27 AM
I've been searching and reading all day and I'm still not clear if California law permits me to have a lever action or bolt action rifle with a detachable magazine, a threaded barrel and a flash hider.

Why no love for the pump action rifle?

All I need is to modify the barrel, or swap it out and I've got that configuration... hell, I even have a few 10rd magazines for it (although the metal ones need feed lip tweeking...)

B Strong
01-07-2011, 7:02 AM

Unless the firearm in question is semi-auto, or a pistol, threaded barrels are not an issue.

Bolt, Lever, pump action, thread to your heart's content.

Sniper3142
01-07-2011, 8:28 AM
Unless the firearm in question is semi-auto, or a pistol, threaded barrels are not an issue.

Bolt, Lever, pump action, thread to your heart's content.

Threaded Barrels are LEGAL on ALL rifles; including Semi-Auto ones in this state.

Quser.619
01-07-2011, 6:19 PM
They're not cranking out rocket scientists from GA last time I checked :p

Two words: Jimmy Carter :D

outkaste
01-18-2011, 5:24 PM
Sniper3142 and B Strong,
you guys stated that threaded pistol barrels were illegal or an issue. i've combed cali law and i am not able to find anything about a threaded pistol barrel being illegal unless it is a semi-auto. if you know where the law states they are illegal, can you help me find it? i have a thompson center bbl with a threaded muzzle brake on it that i was going to sell to someone living in cali. want to make sure it's legal to do so.
any help is greatly appreciated.
outkaste

bruss01
01-18-2011, 8:10 PM
I have seen video of a Nagant revolver fitted with a suppressor. The Nagant cylinder moves forward when the trigger is pulled, closing the cylinder gap. It made for an excellent suppressed revolver.

Would this be OK under CA law, or are suppressors on handguns specifically outlawed?

CHS
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I have seen video of a Nagant revolver fitted with a suppressor. The Nagant cylinder moves forward when the trigger is pulled, closing the cylinder gap. It made for an excellent suppressed revolver.

Would this be OK under CA law, or are suppressors on handguns specifically outlawed?

The threaded barrel would be legal on that pistol.

There is no way for a non-licensed individual to own a suppressor in CA. Period.

dragonbait1a
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
:p:p I'd like to see that gun !!! :D:D

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Detachable 10 round mag and flashhider on a threaded barrel. WANT.

RGB

scarville
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Why no love for the pump action rifle?

All I need is to modify the barrel, or swap it out and I've got that configuration... hell, I even have a few 10rd magazines for it (although the metal ones need feed lip tweeking...)
I have no issue with a pump action. In fact I know a fellow who owns (or owned) an AK-47 that was modified to be a pump action. He even has severel pre-ban magazines for it. I don't know if they are legal on a pump action or not.

Anyways, I was asking because I'm pricing having some modifications made to one of my BLR's. The threaded barrel and flash suppressor came up as possible problems.