PDA

View Full Version : Golf ball launcher

jackandblood
01-06-2011, 3:54 PM
Anyone try this thing on a ar-15 modelled rimfire? preferred blanks? If you dontknow what im talking about google NCStar Golf Launcher. I believe I saw a thread where a regular ar-15 gets velocity ~330 fps and made it (roughly)to the green in one shot on a par 3 course.

pullnshoot25
01-06-2011, 9:00 PM
I think that a launcher like that may be illegal to own here. Can anyone verify?

Desert_Rat
01-06-2011, 9:05 PM
legal.
asked and answered here before. My google-fu is weak tonight, but I know I've seen it discussed here before.

TKM
01-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Rimfire? Not sure how much club you can get with the powder actuated tool loads. You will have a choice of energy levels.

I have it on good authority that 5.56 blanks work well.

pullnshoot25
01-08-2011, 4:13 AM
If they're legal, I want 1. Badly.

REDHORSE
01-08-2011, 7:51 AM
I have used one several times on one of my RAWs. Thought it would be safer Legal wise to use on my RAWs in CA.

They are a lot of fun! Makes all the grown men shooting them giggle like little school girls.:mnl:

I would recommend that you paint the white golf balls in bright colors. It's easy for the shooter to follow the white golf balls trajectory, but difficult for spectators if they are not standing directly behind or next to you. They move really fast. I always end up running out of blanks or golf balls, friends always asking for more than what I brought to shoot.

The golf balls move and a pretty decent speed (look way faster than 300 fps IMHO) with Military blanks several hundred yards from my experience. We were all surprised at how far the would go with a blank.

ATF letter: http://www.ncstar.com/TechSup/ATF.pdf

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-08-2011, 5:31 PM
Might want to take a look at this. Does it apply?

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter,
shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material
or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that
which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except
tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any
launching device therefor.

freonr22
01-08-2011, 5:44 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=147494
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=149758

jackandblood
01-08-2011, 6:35 PM
Well I know they are CA legal to be ordered and shipped. My curiosity in it has more to do with Nerf ammo. If there are blanks quiet enough like say a pump air rifle, Im thinking epic silly fun without range fees.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
01-08-2011, 6:40 PM
Now someone needs to make one of these that looks like a M203 :D

ExV1x
01-26-2011, 5:58 PM
Might want to take a look at this. Does it apply?

12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter,
shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material
or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that
which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except
tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.
(2) Any bomb, grenade, explosive missile, or similar device or any
launching device therefor.

Well, I'm retired and grumpy, but not an ex-cop or lawyer, but reading this it appears to only refer to the projectile being incendiary or explosive and as far as I know a golf ball is neither.......:)

G-forceJunkie
01-26-2011, 7:37 PM
Its still discharging a firearm, keep that in mind.Well I know they are CA legal to be ordered and shipped. My curiosity in it has more to do with Nerf ammo. If there are blanks quiet enough like say a pump air rifle, Im thinking epic silly fun without range fees.

jackandblood
01-27-2011, 1:02 PM
ya I know this. I know that we're dealing with explosives (however tiny) as propellant as opposed to a compressed fluid or whatnot. so has anyone tried this with say those old school yellow nerf foam balls and IDK a particularly quiet blank 22lr? i would be using this to try to knock over (as opposed to penetrate) water jugs and whatnot. Just add another cheap way to have fun with rimfires.

Its still discharging a firearm, keep that in mind.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-27-2011, 3:13 PM
Well, I'm retired and grumpy, but not an ex-cop or lawyer, but reading this it appears to only refer to the projectile being incendiary or explosive and as far as I know a golf ball is neither.......:)

I hope not <looking at box full of golf balls in garage>. It's the only code that I could find that could possibly have anything to do with a golf ball launcher attachment. If anyone out there makes a grenade of any kind that is the same diameter as a golf ball or could fit in the launcher and be fired, we're screwed. I'm not aware of any manufacturer that does, but put the code section out there for comment.

Well I know they are CA legal to be ordered and shipped. My curiosity in it has more to do with Nerf ammo. If there are blanks quiet enough like say a pump air rifle, Im thinking epic silly fun without range fees.

I don't know about blanks and Nerf, but I've fired Nerf projectiles from an airsoft (gas powered) launcher. The footballs with fins go a long way and have no legality questions. They also really sting when they hit you, I can say that from personal experience. :innocent:

Bo0tyBandit
01-27-2011, 3:35 PM
I wonder if I could attach it to my paintball gun?