PDA

View Full Version : benchrest rifle tripod adapter?

swift
08-06-2006, 3:50 PM
Today I saw the MTM spot and shoot (tm) tripod adapter. I like the idea, but I have a heavy benchrest rifle and I do not think the polypropylene will take the abuse. Here's a link so you know what I'm talking about:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/36899-47568-1560.html

Anyone know of a similar item made of stronger material that would allow the attachment of benchrest front rest sandbags?

xenophobe
08-06-2006, 4:09 PM
What exactly are you looking for?

A bench mount for a spotting scope that you can hold down with sandbags?

*shrug*

swift
08-06-2006, 4:27 PM
What I'm looking for is a tripod adapter for a benchrest rifle. For example, I'd like to put a sinclair benchrest top and sandbag like the one shown in the link below.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RIBBRISR&item=RT-3&type=store

What I would like to have when I'm finished is something more stable than a 'shooter's stick' that will allow me to sit in a chair and shoot for a couple of hours.

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 4:51 PM
What I'm looking for is a tripod adapter for a benchrest rifle. For example, I'd like to put a sinclair benchrest top and sandbag like the one shown in the link below.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RIBBRISR&item=RT-3&type=store

What I would like to have when I'm finished is something more stable than a 'shooter's stick' that will allow me to sit in a chair and shoot for a couple of hours.

I think I understand what you are describing. Basically, when you are NOT at a range and you want to do "benchrest-type" shooting without a bench. So you would have your chair, and then you would rest the rifle in a rifle rest that is mounted to a tripod which would bring it high enough off the ground for you to use it. (no bench, no table, just the chair you are sitting in and the tripod rest thingy).

I am sure you could fabricate something yourself to accomplish this. I have never seen a product for what you are describing b/c it is not practical nor is there a market for it.

What people have instead are portable shooting benches which are often employed when peope are out varmint shooting (blasting away from a stationary position on p-dogs). Good ones aren't cheap though.

xenophobe
08-06-2006, 5:08 PM
Oh, okay. I get it. Sorry, I haven't a clue other than a portable shooting bench.

NRAhighpowershooter
08-06-2006, 5:36 PM
I would also think it would be a lost cause trying to use something other than a bench for a heavy bench rest rifle. They are called a 'bench' rest rifle for a reason....

swift
08-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Osmiley's got it right - I wanted to shoot a benchrest rifle without a bench. OK, so I know it's called a 'BR rifle' for a reason, but I wanted something fairly light and inexpensive I could use for prarie dog hunting and for use with a chronograph.

ocabj
08-06-2006, 7:38 PM
Just use a backpack or rucksack. You don't need a fancy bipod for the field.

ocabj
08-06-2006, 7:41 PM
Just use a backpack or rucksack. You don't need a fancy bipod for the field.

Or better yet, you could just manufacture your own bipod/tripod. I've seen guys create a make shift rest that fits on top of a standard camera tripod. This works great for shooting from a sitting position.