PDA

View Full Version : Camo and Gear.....

X-QuickDraw-X
01-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Hows it going laddies and gentlemen. So im in need of a lil advise and help. Im new to the hunting world but have been shooting for a bit i have done all my research on hunting and the dos and donts so my problem is my gear im not sure if its good enough to be out hunting and stuff. I have a full set of ACU Digital Camo and im trying to avoid spending cash cus im on a very tight budget. i know camo is very important and im trying to figure out if i would need to get new camo im planing on going to the desert areas like Mojave and a few woodland areas. I also have a .308 Howa 1500 i feel good shooting it and i feel pretty accurate with it but i would like some input on it. Thank you all in advance.

Mike

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-06-2011, 12:51 PM
camo isn't quite as important as you think. Anything in a khaki, green or tan works fairly well for me. Studies say most animals are sort of color blind, but I still try to match my surroundings a bit. All in all, more game has been dropped by people wearing red flannel shirts and blue jeans than the worlds best camo.

That said, I have 100's of $'s in camo :shrug:

X-QuickDraw-X
01-06-2011, 1:08 PM
Oh ok thanks alot for the info lol ya that was my worry i did not want to have to spend anymore cash on camo and such. Now im just trying to find a few more places to be able to go out to besides Mojave.

Thefeeder
01-06-2011, 1:14 PM
Gear does not fill the freezer. Hunting skill will. Drop all the gear advertisement and learn to hunt by being in the field hunting.

There is an old saying " The less fish they catch, the more crap they buy."

X-QuickDraw-X
01-06-2011, 1:40 PM
Ya by gear i was just kinda talking about clothes lol sorry cus besides that all i have is my pack my rifle and ammo lol and ya im trying to find the right places to be able to go out to. Can you guys suggest what would be the best way for me to find places to go out to im not looking to take anyones spot but idk what maps to look for or where to find them. So far all i know of is Mojave i would like to find something closer to the LA County area if possible. Thanks again everyone for all the help it means alot to me. Alot of ppl i talk to just kinda brush me off when they find out im an up coming hunter. Thanks again.

Mike

5shot
01-06-2011, 1:40 PM
camo isn't quite as important as you think. Anything in a khaki, green or tan works fairly well for me. Studies say most animals are sort of color blind, but I still try to match my surroundings a bit. All in all, more game has been dropped by people wearing red flannel shirts and blue jeans than the worlds best camo.

That said, I have 100's of $'s in camo :shrug:

What he said. In fact I never wear full camo unless I'm varmint calling. Some blaze orange in a vest or ball cap is a lot safer in public areas. Been shot too many times by other hunters. Luckily it's always been bird shot.

You can check our shooting map to give you some more locations where it's legal to hunt (on public land) in San Bernardino Co. deserts and mountains.
http://www.specialdistricts.org/2/FishandGame/docs/2010_cnty_shooting_areas_final.pdf

lewdogg21
01-06-2011, 2:41 PM
Your rifle is fine. The deer your hunting are the size of big labradors. ;)

I wear blaze orange during rifle b/c I don't want to be shot. The one thing I do recommend is getting a wind checking device and some dead down wind spray or other product like it. I couldn't afford multiple sets of scentlock clothing for 7 day Elk Bow trips but I washed all my stuff in sportwash, shoved some small broken pine limbs in with them, and used dead down wind to sneak in and around herds of elk.

That stuff combined with watching your wind works. The thing with deer is if they wind you, you may never even know they were there which can be very frustrating. With Elk all hell breaks loose when the herd high tails it.

As far as camo the guy who said about red flannel and blue jeans is probably right. I wear full camo really only b/c I have 7+ pairs of camo pants for tent camping 7 day bow trips (scent is the enemy). I wouldn't go out and buy expensive camo unless you got $ to burn and have spent it everywhere else.

1lostinspace
01-06-2011, 2:43 PM
Here is a camo pattern I made! We finalized all the paper work today

PURE CAMO (UCP)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/PureCamoTMbmpversion5.jpg

tony270
01-06-2011, 2:46 PM
The animals that we hunt utilize their sense of smell first, they notice movement just as well as humans, and animals also notice shapes. Sometimes they notice anything out of the ordinary in their environment. Changing the human pattern/outline is a good thing, and as others have said camouflage is not that important, but IMO it does help the human physic.

1lostinspace
01-06-2011, 2:47 PM
The animals that we hunt utilize their sense of smell first, they notice movement just as well as humans, and animals also notice shapes. Sometimes they notice anything out of the ordinary in their environment. Changing the human pattern/outline is a good thing, and as others have said camouflage is not that important but it does help the human physic.

When I hunt I like wearing ACU with the sun to my back!

X-QuickDraw-X
01-06-2011, 3:02 PM
Ok Thanks all now i feel better about what i have now im ready to get out and do some real shooting. Last question i have is on that map 5shot posted im looking at the yellow zones to do some target shooting and it says you can only target shoot at the designated areas so how can i find these areas?

Rusty_Buckhorn
01-06-2011, 3:06 PM
scent control is about the most important thing. It's also the biggest reason I wear camo. I wash my hunting clothes in scent control soap, then store in a controlled environment. Plus, at $20-camo pants and $10 camo shirts, my camo is cheaper than my street clothes........ AND, chicks dig the camo

tony270
01-06-2011, 3:07 PM
Call the forest service or use the map at this link to find BLM land, use the scroll wheel to zoom into the area of interest and then wait for the map to load. The tan/brown colored land is BLM land.

map…http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Trapper
01-06-2011, 4:38 PM
As others have said game will spook from movement and sent more quickly than from the wrong camo pattern. Bdu's are cheap and and more durable than most of the high dollar stuff.

5shot
01-06-2011, 4:41 PM
Ok Thanks all now i feel better about what i have now im ready to get out and do some real shooting. Last question i have is on that map 5shot posted im looking at the yellow zones to do some target shooting and it says you can only target shoot at the designated areas so how can i find these areas?

Those areas open and close depending on fire hazard, road conditions, etc. You can check on them at the SBNF website:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEH cDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5156888&navid=110250000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&ss=110512&position=Not%2520Yet%2520Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest-%2520Other%2520Activities

VytamenC Tactical
01-06-2011, 8:32 PM
(depends what your hunting) camo is important. rememeber animals use there best sense the most smell allways have the sun to your back and the wind in your face. i have actually had coyotes circle around me to get the wind in there favor i watched it do it smartest yote i have ever seen. also my camo clothes stay in a different closet than my normal clothes, they get washed in a different detergent, they get packed in a defferent bags. i have under armor that i keep with my camo at all times so the sents of my normal clothes dont get into my under armor, i also where non scented deodorant. when i wash my camo clothes i run the washer a few times before i put my camo into it just to wash out the old soap smell.

junkilo
01-07-2011, 1:01 PM
people in states that require blaze orange seem to do just fine with it. Its useful for skittish animals like turkey.

Green pants, whatever shirt and a molle vest makes me happy. not a bad idea to have some BO gear though so other hunters can find you.

X-QuickDraw-X
01-07-2011, 2:13 PM
Thanks alot everyone im now ready to hit the open field. When i become the worlds greatest hunter and shooter ill be sure to remember all you calguners ill have my own ranch with tons of wild game for you guys to come and hunt when ever you guys want lol :D . Well im just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit befor i go out ill be out over Helendale to the East and just West of the 15 hwy.

Mike

rodeoflyer
01-07-2011, 2:26 PM
1. WIND

2. WIND

3. WIND

4. Any Clothing that breaks up your pattern

5. BE QUIET

Man has hunted for thousands of years without needing Mossy Oak Camo and Scentlock.

........i'm not saying I don't own a bunch of it though. :o

Fireguy
01-07-2011, 7:59 PM
It seems that at least one new camo pattern comes out each year, why so many camos?

Tanner68
01-07-2011, 8:44 PM
Of all the things that will dictate success, what you wear is the least important. Concern yourself with the wind, movement, and light and shadows. I don't wear camo, just khakis and grays and dull greens. Regarding scent, watch out for all the products that you put on yourself that would send off alarm bells for game(scented shampoos and deodorants for example). Also, I don't wear my hunting shoes in the city. Too many chances to track through gas and oil, etc.

Just concentrate on the fundamentals and don't get distracted by the particulars too much. You could wear nothing but khakis and tote an ancient milsurp rifle and kill more game than most if you master the fundamentals.