PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 M1 Carbine Build Writeup

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello all. I bought my first 10/22 recently and caught the customization bug. I decided I really liked the M1 Carbine style stock, and that building a 10/22 this style would be sweet for appleseed shoots.

Here is the rifle in the box
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1365-1.jpg

Here is the rifle being unwrapped
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1366.jpg

Brand new Ruger goodness
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1367.jpg

After installing a auto bolt release and extended mag release
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1368.jpg

Next I installed the tech sights. I had problems with the front allen hex screw on the tech sights, the screw would not seat properly, but with liberal application of lock-tite on the side allen screws, I am confident that the front post will hold solid, (also the dovetail required quite a bit of pressure from a brass punch to slide into the front post slot).

The tech-sights provide a nice sight picture.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1374.jpg

The oiler sling was a pain to get in as well. The new reproduction slings are a little thicker than the GI issue slings, so I pounded/flattened the sling with a hammer and pulled the loop holding the oiler through. It is very snug!
The stock itself also posed some problems. The main fathead screw holding the stock in place didn't quite line up perfectly with the receiver. A little file work did the trick and it seated just fine.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p62/Rabidmonkey777/KTOG/DSCN1369.jpg

Overall I really like the feel of this little rifle, and it handles very similarly to the rifle its trying to imitate. I will update and post a range report when time allows.

Parts list:
M1 Carbine style 10/22 stock
Volquartsen auto bolt release
Tactical Solutions extended mag. release
Oiler Sling
Tech-Sights

Mac Attack
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago talking about using a Carbine stock on a 10/22. I stated I thought it was pointless.

After seeing your pictures I realized I was wrong. A 10/22 with tech sights in a Carbine stock looks badass! If I didn't already have a 10/22 with a bull barrel I would totally convert mine to a Carbine clone.

mif_slim
01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I like it. I been thinking about gutting a m1 garand airsoft got my 10/22. Good job!

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 11:27 AM
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago talking about using a Carbine stock on a 10/22. I stated I thought it was pointless.

After seeing your pictures I realized I was wrong. A 10/22 with tech sights in a Carbine stock looks badass! If I didn't already have a 10/22 with a bull barrel I would totally convert mine to a Carbine clone.

Yah, I am a purist when it comes to C+R rifles, but in this situation I felt that this project was very respectful to the little ruger and to the M1 Carbine it is trying to imitate. I think it would be cool if ruger offered a factory 10/22 similar to this setup.

TMC
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Cool looking gun. You know, if you could find an upper handguard that fits the factory 10/22 stock it would look almost the same.

loosewreck
01-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I've been considering doing the same for a while now as well.

If you don't mind, may I ask how much did it all cost in total including the Ruger?

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

I've been considering doing the same for a while now as well.

If you don't mind, may I ask how much did it all cost in total including the Ruger?

No I dont mind. Its funny this was supposed to be a cheap fun project (which it was) compared to buying another rifle I was looking at .308 Saiga, but in the end it turned out to cost about the same.

I got the rifle on sale at big 5 for $220, the stock was $89, the tech sights were $60, sling was $20 and the mag release and auto bolt release were about $30 combined. The total came to around $400. :eek: Didn't mean to spend that much but it was totally worth it and fun.

Got10/22?
01-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice! I just got my M1 10/22 stock last night. Can't wait to put it together. There was one person that had a M1 mag and attached it to the rotary 10/22 mag. It looked pretty cool.

Here's the other link that was posted a few weeks ago. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=374101

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 4:40 PM
Nice! I just got my M1 10/22 stock last night. Can't wait to put it together. There was one person that had a M1 mag and attached it to the rotary 10/22 mag. It looked pretty cool.

Here's the other link that was posted a few weeks ago. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=374101

Post some pictures of it when you put it on there!:30:

DirtNapKing
01-06-2011, 5:13 PM
Hey, what's with that extended plastic magazine release? I thought you were a purist?:D:D:D

trob
01-06-2011, 5:36 PM
Hey, what's with that extended plastic magazine release? I thought you were a purist?:D:D:D

yea, i was curious about that too. Why would you make an M1 clone with iron sights, and then add a very modern looking extended mag release? I understand the auto bolt release, but not the mag release.

other than that, it looks great!

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 5:48 PM
yea, i was curious about that too. Why would you make an M1 clone with iron sights, and then add a very modern looking extended mag release? I understand the auto bolt release, but not the mag release.

other than that, it looks great!

Yah, I figured someone would comment on this. I agree it doesn't really fit with the theme, but it is a functional upgrade I added for practicality's sake, not necessarily accuracy/looks. Its easy enough to take on and off though...

otteray
01-06-2011, 5:56 PM
22 cal knockoffs are a blast!

I'm slowly working on my old Marlin Glenfield M70 (old style795/pre LSHO) for the same purpose.
Crappy pix, sorry. Top one's a old Model 60 with a Williams peep sight.
Found them both in a barn all rusted up; but that's another story for another time.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/otteray/22%20magazines/MarlinGlenfield-1.jpg
I may just buy a Ruger just to have a rounded out collection of Carbine possibilities!

Rabidmonkey777
01-06-2011, 6:00 PM
22 cal knockoffs are a blast!

I'm slowly working on my old Marlin Glenfield M70 (old style795/pre LSHO) for the same purpose.
Crappy pix, sorry. Top one's a old Model 60.
Found them both in a barn all rusted up; but that's another story for another time.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/otteray/22%20magazines/MarlinGlenfield-1.jpg
I may just buy a Ruger just to have a rounded out collection of Carbine possibilities!

That is a sweet looking little rifle you got there Otteray! How does she shoot?

otteray
01-06-2011, 6:11 PM
Reliable and typical Marlin Microgroove accuracy :gunsmilie:

jackandblood
01-06-2011, 9:22 PM
ya i thought it was kinda pointless too, but it seemed to pick up the unique visual essence of the m1 carbine. cool.

Got10/22?
01-07-2011, 7:00 AM
Post some pictures of it when you put it on there!:30:

Here you go...thanks to a fella from Black Hills, SD who posted these on another forum.

81012 81013

kdmmcc
01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Where does one find stock and sights to turn 10/22 into M1 carbine?

Rabidmonkey777
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Where does one find stock and sights to turn 10/22 into M1 carbine?

I found the stock at centerfire systems, and I bought the sights from tech-sights main webpage. :D

Caribouriver
01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I recently did the same. The "M1 Carbine" stock for my 10/22 came from eabco.com as well as the Tech Sights and sling/oiler. I am very pleased with how it came out: ie: how it looks, feels and shoots. My only criticism is that the lacquer finish on the Taiwan made stock is fragile. It nicks easily and the light colored wood underneath shows through. Not a big deal to me. It looks more like a "war baby". Someday I may refinish it with multiple coats of a deep penetrating stain and an oil finish. The machining of the stock is perfect - tight drop-in installation. Be careful not to put too much lock-tite on the Tech-Sight front sight assembly. I think I may have and froze up the front sight elevation adjustment lock pin. After adjustment, the sights gave me a fist sized pattern of 200 rds @ 50 yds using Winchester Xpert bulk ammo. The 10 circle was pretty much shot out.

Rabidmonkey777
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I recently did the same. The "M1 Carbine" stock for my 10/22 came from eabco.com as well as the Tech Sights and sling/oiler. I am very pleased with how it came out: ie: how it looks, feels and shoots. My only criticism is that the lacquer finish on the Taiwan made stock is fragile. It nicks easily and the light colored wood underneath shows through. Not a big deal to me. It looks more like a "war baby". Someday I may refinish it with multiple coats of a deep penetrating stain and an oil finish. The machining of the stock is perfect - tight drop-in installation. Be careful not to put too much lock-tite on the Tech-Sight front sight assembly. I think I may have and froze up the front sight elevation adjustment lock pin. After adjustment, the sights gave me a fist sized pattern of 200 rds @ 50 yds using Winchester Xpert bulk ammo. The 10 circle was pretty much shot out.

Hey Caribouriver, I am having the same problem with the stock .I agree 110%. My stock is already nicked up from the installation, and I feel the finish though matching a typical m1 carbine stock, is not very robust/resistant. I am thinking about touching it up with seed oil. On my front tech sight, I did not even end up putting in the final hex screw, but I think it will be ok because it is already in there so tight, and the other two screws keep it in tight. The proof will be in the range results I guess though :)