PDA

View Full Version : CA Supreme Court Justice to step down - Implications?

Stonewalker
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
CA Supreme Court Justice Moreno to step down (http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/01/justice-moreno-steps-down.html)

This will allow for Jerry Brown to appoint a new CA SC justice. Could this help or hurt our cause in any way? We don't go before CA SC anyways right?

cvc04
01-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Well get another Rose Elizabeth Bird. Remember her?

dantodd
01-06-2011, 10:11 AM
we do for laws that may (or may not) be constitutional but do not follow California laws. For example; one of the 3 AB962 lawsuits is in the State court system rather than fed. I can also see an Unruh Act claim potentially being filed in CA state courts to deal with some carry issues.

infamous209
01-06-2011, 10:16 AM

LOL. Ya she got the boot by vote.

SikDMAX
01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Tagging this.

sholling
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Look for the new appointment to be as bad or worse than Bird.

wash
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
CA Supreme Court Justice Moreno to step down (http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/01/justice-moreno-steps-down.html)

This will allow for Jerry Brown to appoint a new CA SC justice. Could this help or hurt our cause in any way? We don't go before CA SC anyways right?
It probably won't be any worse than a judge RINO Meg would have chosen.

Jerry isn't a single issue gun rights guy so I'm sure gun rights will not be a litmus test for the judge. Given otherwise equal candidates I believe he would chose a judge with a good gun rights record. I don't think he will be broken up if he's choosing between two antis...

The big question is how good is Justice Moreno?

If Moreno is an anti, Jerry probably won't do any worse.

uyoga
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

One would hope that he had learned from that experience.

Uriah02
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Bird
I had to look this up as I was in diapers when she was voted out.
I would hope (as probably everyone here would too) Gov Brown would select a 2A friendly justice. Granted that individual would also likely be liberal in other respects, but that is less of a concern for this board.

IllTemperedCur
01-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Whether or not Gov Moonbeam appoints a 2A-friendly justice is probably irrelevant. I fully expect that any new appointee will "hear the call of history" and vote anti-2A regardless of their past decisions.

Besides, I kind of suspect that Brown won't serve his full term anyway. He's 72, and in about 2 years he'll "grow tired of public service" and resign.

Hello Gov. Newsome. :ack2:

Yes, I have a full selection of tin foil hats, organized by thickness, height, and aerodynamic shape.

kf6tac
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
The big question is how good is Justice Moreno?

If Moreno is an anti, Jerry probably won't do any worse.

It was reported that he was on Obama's list of possible replacements for Justice Souter, before Justice Sotomayor ultimately got the job, so I can't imagine that he's that good.

llamatrnr
01-06-2011, 1:39 PM
Clinton never inhaled; Brown never exhaled . . .

Paul S
01-06-2011, 2:07 PM
LOL. Ya she got the boot by vote.

That is quite true...but she caused A LOT of legal damage along the way.

Brown's latest ploy is to foist all the state run programs that the state cannot pay for onto the counties. Strange...but he fails to realize the counties don't have any money either. Brown has not changed. I predict he'll make a frontal assault on proposition 13. If he wins in court...good luck hanging onto your home.

And the new AG and 2nd Amendments rights...do not hold your breath folks. If you think the battle has been tough so far...it's going to get even tougher. :(

Apocalypsenerd
01-06-2011, 7:42 PM
If I remember right from my November research, Moreno is a strong anti-2A. We probably can't do worse for the 2A.