PDA

View Full Version : 10 round mags

maxiss
08-06-2006, 1:24 PM
I am looking for a good source on 10 round mags. Whats the mag of choice that most of you are using?

Thanks,
Mark

rssslvr
08-06-2006, 1:28 PM
I like the bushmaster ones.The only problem with them is you cant disassemble them

eckerph
08-06-2006, 1:28 PM
What kind of mags are you looking for?

bu-bye
08-06-2006, 1:58 PM
I like the bushmaster mags. They are just the right length for gripping but the down side is you can't take them apart.

maxiss
08-06-2006, 2:14 PM
i am not sure what i am looking for other then 10 round mags for my first OLL build... I was hoping for some input....i seen some 10 rounder Colts that looked little longer then the other 10 rounder i looked at....But at the site i found the Colts it was sold out...its for a .223 A2 OLL build... thanks

DANGERCLOSE
08-06-2006, 2:45 PM
1 bushmaster 10rd mag, lmt lower

ordered 2 dpms waffle mags, i think they look cool. for my next two lowers, most likely cmmg.

i hear that the c products mags can be disassembled.

Scotto
08-06-2006, 2:52 PM
I forgot where I saw it, but somebody actually took one of those bushmaster mags apart and it didnt really look like it was that big of a deal. I guess there is a detent on the bottom that has epoxy over a pin. you drill out the epoxy and the pin comes out and then you came remove the floorplate - or something along those lines. afterward he just put it all back together and epoxied the pin back in.

C.G.
08-06-2006, 3:34 PM
I like the bushmaster ones.The only problem with them is you cant disassemble them

Look at ARF.com. Hometown CA. There is a way to dissassemble them.

1911_Mitch
08-06-2006, 4:19 PM
For my fixed mag build,

I prefer the Armalite steel 10 rounders built on a 20 round body. Can be disassembled and can change springs, followers, and floorplate.

or also check out the C Products mag www.cproductsllc.com

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 5:53 PM
You have lots of options.

My #1 seller, hands down is the Bushmaster mag. It looks like a 20 and it works darn good. The only downside is you can't take it apart and if you run a rail with a forward pistol grip, it might impede loading.

That brings us to the Stag 10 round flush mag that won't impede loading. They seem to work ok and I haven't received too many complaints.

Then the new kid on the block are the C Products line. The first one of mention is the 10/30 mag. It is a 30 round mag body that can only hold 10 rounds! It will make you think you are back in free America, for 10 rounds. They are sort of hard to get a hold of because everyone is buying them up like hot cakes.

You also hae C Products 10 round mags that are pretty cost effective. You can get those for anywhere from $15 to $18 depending on where you look and you can fully disassemble them. I haven't shot any yet, but I haven't heard many complaints about C Products.

Those are the ones I have some experience with.

Stanze
08-06-2006, 5:59 PM

Just a FYI, a arf.commer took apart his Bushmaster 10 round mags and reassembled, it's possible to do it without destroying. They are pricey though.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9464/04jz7.jpg

Here's the thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=238011

rssslvr
08-06-2006, 6:07 PM
Just a FYI, a arf.commer took apart his Bushmaster 10 round mags and reassembled, it's possible to do it without destroying. They are pricey though.

Here's the thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=238011
Thanks I was just over there looking for that thread

NeoWeird
08-06-2006, 6:26 PM
It was me (golly, I feel almost like a celebrety now) on arf that did that to my OLD fixed mag (pre Vulcan homebuilt). It's in a topic made by Paul, the hometown moderator, titled something like "The Ten Percent Solution". I'll post the pictuers again, but if you want to read my comments on it, and the details, check it there (no need to double up).

I am personally looking for a 20 rounder look alike to use as my first (which I should be starting when my AK is done). I was originally going to get one of Bushmaster's M17 bullpup rifle mags, but it seems they changed their website after the new owners took over and now you can't order them. I've heard bad reviews of the Armalite mag and the only other option is the ProMag, which in it of itself has a bad reputation.

Can anyone suggest a good straight body 20 rounder look alike?

Pictures to follow:

Original fixed mag receiver:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/01.jpg

Hole SOFTLY drilled in front of the snake:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/02.jpg

Pin comes out:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/03.jpg

Mag comes apart:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b354/NeoWeird/04.jpg

Harbinger
08-06-2006, 7:08 PM
I just picked up the C-Products 10-rd mag. Mine came with a magpul follower and 'Tacti-pull' floorplate (which I'll use more as a bumper than a tactical accessory ;) ). The color of this little mag is darker than the Bushmaster, which some may like.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems to feed reliably... and like TenPercent says, it can be fully disassembled.

ETA: Seeing NeoWeird's post, it looks like my Bushmaster mags can be disassembled as well. I like the fact that the C-products use standard parts, however.

Mike

icoburn
08-06-2006, 7:44 PM
Any word on the C-Products 10/20 mag?

You have lots of options.

My #1 seller, hands down is the Bushmaster mag. It looks like a 20 and it works darn good. The only downside is you can't take it apart and if you run a rail with a forward pistol grip, it might impede loading.

That brings us to the Stag 10 round flush mag that won't impede loading. They seem to work ok and I haven't received too many complaints.

Then the new kid on the block are the C Products line. The first one of mention is the 10/30 mag. It is a 30 round mag body that can only hold 10 rounds! It will make you think you are back in free America, for 10 rounds. They are sort of hard to get a hold of because everyone is buying them up like hot cakes.

You also hae C Products 10 round mags that are pretty cost effective. You can get those for anywhere from $15 to $18 depending on where you look and you can fully disassemble them. I haven't shot any yet, but I haven't heard many complaints about C Products.

Those are the ones I have some experience with.

SFV_Dealer
08-06-2006, 8:11 PM
Yes.
Metroshot will be getting the first batch...
Keep watching the Firearms Accessories page here on CalGuns.

Metroshot the first dealer to get 30rd / 10rd limited Stainless Steel mags custom made for California!

Ricefighter
08-06-2006, 9:06 PM
straight 20 look-alikes, only hold 10, by pro-mag...
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=138112

I bought them out, but it looks like they have a few more. They are the same thing as the armalites, but a little cheaper I believe.

http://angelfire.com/pa5/esh/ar/mag.JPG
http://angelfire.com/pa5/esh/ar/mag2.JPG

NeoWeird
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Go figure, I get out of the shower and see there are 4 mags left at Midway but I don't have time to place my order (running off to see my fiancee). I come back, they are sold out.

Go figure...

C.G.
08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=138112

I bought them out, but it looks like they have a few more. They are the same thing as the armalites, but a little cheaper I believe.

If you are going to have problems with AR mags, most likely it will be with Pro-mags. I did and several members here have had their share of problems with them.

bu-bye
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
going back to the bushy mags, do you have to glue the pin back in when you put it back together?

sac7000
08-07-2006, 3:45 PM
If you are going to have problems with AR mags, most likely it will be with Pro-mags. I did and several members here have had their share of problems with them.

I noticed that with the C Products 10/30mags fit fine in my Stag lowers but I ended up having to " crimp " the side of the magazine a few thousands to get them to fit in my Superior lowers. Might have just been a bad mag that was assembled right. I did notice on the side the stampings were a tad off. No big deal, nothing I couldn't fix.

sac7000
08-07-2006, 3:49 PM
going back to the bushy mags, do you have to glue the pin back in when you put it back together?

Umm...sorta otherwise the thingine in the middle will fall out. The pin keeps it from drifting out either side. You could just replace it with a small machine bolt and forget the pin. I like the idea of being able to quickly drop out the bottom should I encounter a jam I cannot clear.

sac7000
08-07-2006, 3:51 PM

]

How do they limit the round count to 10? Is it simular to the busmaster mag or crimp in the side of the mag body?

NeoWeird
08-07-2006, 4:29 PM
On the Bushy mags, I have taken apart two so far. The first one would fall out freely, but the second one won't come out unless I hit it hard against something. Even shaking it violently, or swinging it and then jerking it back, will cause it to drop free. Do what you need to in order for it to work. I don't see why some of that sticky puddy or play do in the hole wouldn't keep the pin from falling out. It really depends on how your mag is and how you want to do things but having SOMETHING there to stop the pin is probably a good idea, even if the pin won't move, just in case.

Wouldn't want to have your mag fall apart after taking a few shots, especially if those shots are important ones.

Ricefighter
08-07-2006, 4:44 PM
I've only had mine for a little while, but have put a few thousand through them and never had a missfeed. Dropped 1, and it was perfectly fine as well. They limit the rounds by rolling a bead on the side of the mag that the rounds hit, so the follower can still go all the way to the bottom, but will only hold 10 rounds.

Sac7000- are you from sac? Just wondering B/c you say you're from 530, which is up north a bit?

sac7000
08-07-2006, 6:36 PM

Sac7000- are you from sac? Just wondering B/c you say you're from 530, which is up north a bit?

ya, I'm formally from Sac, North Sac to be exact, but now live near Redding hence the 530 area code.

NeoWeird
08-07-2006, 7:04 PM
I've only had mine for a little while, but have put a few thousand through them and never had a missfeed. Dropped 1, and it was perfectly fine as well. They limit the rounds by rolling a bead on the side of the mag that the rounds hit, so the follower can still go all the way to the bottom, but will only hold 10 rounds.

Do you mean that the bullets single stack in the mag?

Ricefighter
08-07-2006, 7:14 PM
no, they double stack, it just has a groove rolled alongside the regular ones that runs up and down and is deeper, so that when they are double stacked in there, they hit the groove and can't go any further down. I just meant that it didn't impede the follower from moving when i said the follower goes all the way down (lets you disassemble it easily). Same spring tension as a 20, just that the rounds stop halfway down.

Blacktail 8541
08-07-2006, 7:24 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/JDSISCO6/000_0924.jpg

Here is a C-PRODUCT 10 rd mag with a magpule lumpy plate. In order to keep the 10 rd capacity you need to shorten the follower .20 in. I have about 400 rds thru both and no problems yet.

NorCal MedTac
08-07-2006, 8:06 PM
I like the bushmaster mags. They are just the right length for gripping but the down side is you can't take them apart.

I like them the best too. I rinsed them out and it cleaned them a little.

anotherone
08-07-2006, 8:38 PM
Personally I like the Armalite 10 rounders, but then again almost all my builds are 20 inch builds. You get that old school M-16 look with 'em in there and you can disassemble them to clean them. Come to think of it with how hard you get gouged when you purchase these mags it's a good thing you can disassemble and clean them LOL :D!

On a side note these mags are kind heavy even for steel mags. I have a couple pre-ban 30 round steel mags and I swear my 30 rounders aren't much heavier at all than the Armalite 10 rounders.

Cato
08-07-2006, 9:04 PM
I bought two Stag 10 rounders: the kind that are very short and flush with the mag well. Both mags wouldn't feed in my 100% Stag carbine. My Bushmaster 10 rounder feeds like buttah!

C.G.
08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
I like them the best too. I rinsed them out and it cleaned them a little.

Love connection???:D

NeoWeird
08-09-2006, 8:57 PM
For those that want to know, Midway is back in with the Promags. I believe that any problem can be solved with a little work and know how, with that said, I purchased two. I personally find the straight body 20 rounder look much more aesthetically appealing than any other magazine and it ties with the 30 rounders on M4 style rifles (I still prefer the 20 rounder on the more retro CAR styles though).

Midway didn't list a quantity available so I assume they have plenty in stock, but it seems ALL OLL 10 round mags have been moving like butter on a playground slide in the sun on a hot day so get them now if you've been looking for them.

Jicko
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I bought two Stag 10 rounders: the kind that are very short and flush with the mag well. Both mags wouldn't feed in my 100% Stag carbine. My Bushmaster 10 rounder feeds like buttah!

Since the Stag short 10rounders are serviceable, try to put in the MagPul enhanced anti-tilt followers.... those things make feeding like a champ....