PDA

View Full Version : DPMS 24 inch Upper ... Take Apart ?

TacFan
08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Has Anyone taken apart the dpms 24inch ar upper that many of us got on midway a while back. If so, can you please state how you did it ?

thanks

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Has Anyone taken apart the dpms 24inch ar upper that many of us got on midway a while back. If so, can you please state how you did it ?

thanks

Take it apart in what way? You need to be more specific.

Do you mean remove the gas block, handguard and barrel? You need some specific tools to do this and there is no reason to do this unless you are changing the handguard or the barrel.

Or do you mean just disassembling the bolt carrier and bolt. If you are asking about the latter, it is the same as ANY ar-15. Just try it. Do a search. Ar15.com should help... If you have the slightest bit of mechanical inclination, you can figure it out without instructions.

Buy a basic owner's manual. It isn't complicated so maybe just have at it and remember where everything goes.

TacFan
08-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes take apart the gas block and the handguard. I'm having the barrel media blasted to turn it black but the guy is having a hard time taking it apart. In fact, hist wrench broke trying to take the handguard off :eek:

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 1:50 PM
Sorry I should have been more specific. Yes take apart the gas block and the handguard. I'm having the barrel media blasted to turn it black but the guy is having a hard time taking it apart. In fact, hist wrench broke trying to take the handguard off :eek:

The information on this page will be very useful to you. WARNING, it has ALOT of picture. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 The information you want is toward the middle and bottom.

First, make sure it is unloaded.

If the handguard will fit over the gas block (if the gas block is really low profile) then you will not need to remove the gas block (if you can protect it during the media blasting). What you need to do is tap the small roll pin that goes through the upper part of the gas block to hold the gas tube in. Once that is removed, you should be able to slide the gas tube out through the receiver). Once this is done, the handguard can probably be unscrewed depending on how the DPMS handguard attaches. A strap wrench or other similar device can be employed to do this. You also might need an upper receiver vise depending on how tight the handguard is.

If the gas block is bigger than the diameter of the handguard, then it is a bit more of a headache.

First, remove the gas tube as I mentioned above. Then you need to tap the two pins out of the gas block which can be found on the lower portion of it, just below the barrel line. Usually, they only go one way meaning one side of the pins is thicker than another, so double check to make sure you just aren't pounding away and jamming them in tighter. They can be VERY stubborn on some uppers. Use penetrating oil if they are being difficult.
Then, you can use a piece of wood or rubber mallet to tap the gas block off of the barrel.

TacFan
08-06-2006, 1:55 PM
Thanks, I have forwarded your advice to him. :cool:

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 2:09 PM
Thanks, I have forwarded your advice to him. :cool:

Is this person a gunsmith? A gunsmith should be able to accomplish this task without a problem. Make sure you don't have some guy monkeying around on your upper who has no idea what he is doing. If he broke a wrench trying to disassemble the upper, then it is likely that he is doing something wrong and probably damaged it.

TacFan
08-06-2006, 3:39 PM
I think the guy knows what he's doing. But supposedly, this one is on really tight and he thinks DPMS may have used thread lock.

Bladewurk
08-06-2006, 7:12 PM
DPMS is Known to use loctite on the barrel threads/Float tube and guys either heat slightly OR put in freezer before putting the strap wrench on or the wrench will slip and mar up the finish on the handguard......