PDA

View Full Version : Newbie....want to build one...

slowburn
08-06-2006, 9:45 AM
I'm new here and need some help...I want to build one, but which one? I really like the .308 But the .223 is fun as well...wich one would you build based on costs? Functionality? Accuracy? Parts availability? Being in California you guys already have it down as to what you can and cannot do and what works well...thanks in advance for your help.

Blue
08-06-2006, 9:56 AM
You want something semi auto or bolt?

The SoCal Gunner
08-06-2006, 10:02 AM
If you build it they will come. Build one what? I'm guessing an AR but this is the rifle section not AR section so maybe you should give a little more detail.

slowburn
08-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry...AR....semi auto

The SoCal Gunner
08-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry...AR....semi auto

I'm a newbie also. Just finished my first AR in .223 rem. Choose that because it is cheaper to shoot since all I will be doing for now is target shooting. Ammo is also easy to find. I do plan on building others in different calibers. I plan on hunting one day and I don't know how .223 will fare. Bigger calibers mean more expense but I don't think the .308 is too much of a difference. I think you are also limited to choice if building a .308 but what do I know.

blkA4alb
08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
As of right now there is almost no way to get a 308 OLL (Vulcan has one though right?), that should change soon if RRA pulls through. If this is your first AR just build it as a 223/556. You won't have to deal with the possibility of ammo for a certain odd round becoming unavailable in the near future. I built my rifle as a 20" bull barreled rifle built for accuracy. I have a fixed mag and use a pistol grip because it is easier to control (for me.) Also the range close to me doesn't allow rapid fire and I can only shoot 100 and sometimes 200 yards so a short carbine build isn't as useful to me. What style do you want to build?