PDA

View Full Version : OLL --> Assault Rifle Clarifications

BoilermakerJim
08-06-2006, 9:26 AM
I've read and re-read the FAQs but still have one clarification and one question.

First the clarification...It seems as though if my OLL is classified an Assault Rifle, once I register it I can then use detatchable magazines up to 10 round. Is that right?

The question...how does a person with an OLL know that their OLL has been named an assault rifle? Do I have to go continuously check the DOJ every couple weeks for the rest of my life or do I get notified by mail by the DOJ? I wouldn't want to miss any registration windows.

Thanks!

Guns R Tools
08-06-2006, 9:31 AM
Yes, once calssified as AW then you can use detachable magazine. 10 rds mag is correct, if you didnt't own a full capacity mag before. But if you own the full capacity mag before then you can use than in registered AW.

As far as registration window is concerned, it will be probably best keep an eye on this site.

You won't get anything in the mail from CA DOJ.

The SoCal Gunner
08-06-2006, 9:32 AM
That is also something I wonder about. We would probably have to know that the list has been updated and check for ourselves. Don't think I would get anything in the mail since the DOJ doesn't know what I have purchased.

I also wonder, if they ever do list, how they determine what makes get listed since they keep saying that all OLL are identical to the Colt series. What happens if they leave out CCMG or Mega?

blkA4alb
08-06-2006, 9:36 AM
That is also something I wonder about. We would probably have to know that the list has been updated and check for ourselves. Don't think I would get anything in the mail since the DOJ doesn't know what I have purchased.

I also wonder, if they ever do list, how they determine what makes get listed since they keep saying that all OLL are identical to the Colt series. What happens if they leave out CCMG or Mega?
Then CMMG and Mega are no different than they are now. They would be unlisted. The DOJ decides what to list. If you check this site once a week or once a month you would definatly know if they listed :D , Trust me. And no, you wont get anything in the mail.

SemiAutoSam
08-06-2006, 9:36 AM
Jim

unless they (the DOJ list) and they have said in at least one memo that they are not going to list.

You have 2 options You can go gripless in which you can use any detachable mag that you want providing if it is over 10 round capacity it was in your possession prior to 2000.

Or you can have a Pistol grip and use a fixed mag kit (like the one I mfg and sell) with a no more than 10 round mag.

Search for the memos. Im not sure which one it was but one of them stated blatently that they were not going to list.

As I see it these are your options.

The SoCal Gunner
08-06-2006, 9:38 AM
Jim

unless they (the DOJ list) and they have said in at least one memo that they are not going to list.

They must be confused. I've seen some letters, not sure if they are memos, when they specifically say that they intend to list whatever particular lower was in question.

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 12:53 PM
They changed their mind.

blkA4alb
08-06-2006, 1:05 PM
.....Search for the memos. Im not sure which one it was but one of them stated blatently that they were not going to list.

As I see it these are your options.
And one of them blatently stated that they were going to list. :rolleyes: The memos mean nothing to me and shouldn't mean much of anything to you. They are opinions and mean as much as mine or your's does.

sac7000
08-06-2006, 1:11 PM
They must be confused. I've seen some letters, not sure if they are memos, when they specifically say that they intend to list whatever particular lower was in question.

Yup, clear as mud huh? They said one thing and then said another. And before it's all done they will probably say something else. In the meantime relax and spend the day at your local range. Don't forget to take somebody along with you and introduce them to the hobby. It's your duty.

guimus
08-06-2006, 1:19 PM

When it first happened and they thought that they were looking at a dozen rifles they were going to list. Then we happened and suddenly there were 50,000 potential assault weapons and no politician in CA wants to say, "Thanks to me there are now 50,000 more assault weapons in california."

Cato
08-06-2006, 1:38 PM
If the DOJ ever lists or we get an opportunity to register our OLLs as AWs, then this site will be chock full of all the info you will ever need.

rick_in_lb
08-06-2006, 1:43 PM
I have to ask and go ahead and call me dumb but what is an OLL ! :confused:

SemiAutoSam
08-06-2006, 1:51 PM
Rick Have a look at the RED part in the blue bar near the top of the page.

That should explain any question you have about OLL'S

CTT2
08-06-2006, 2:31 PM
Go read the new memo on their website. It's current wording will make lowers using the maglock kit assault weapons. Looks like it's gonna get ugly, and with that wording you could say that the M1A is could go bye bye depending on how they want to apply it.

sac7000
08-06-2006, 2:58 PM
Go read the new memo on their website. It's current wording will make lowers using the maglock kit assault weapons. Looks like it's gonna get ugly, and with that wording you could say that the M1A is could go bye bye depending on how they want to apply it.

Remember it's just a memo. Just like their February memo which stated they were going to list. To say one thing and do another.

ohsmily
08-06-2006, 3:18 PM

No, the M1A won't go "bye-bye" based on the changing of the definition of detachable magazine v. fixed magazine. The M1A IS a detachable magazine rifle. Changing the definition of what makes a magazine fixed or detachable would not affect its status b/c it already is detachable in the M1A.

Get it straight dude.

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 6:54 PM
I have to ask and go ahead and call me dumb but what is an OLL ! :confused:
Off List Lower (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=page_4#oll)

xenophobe
08-06-2006, 7:14 PM
definitions (http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=page_4#oll)

DROS used to stand for Dealers Report of Sale.

gose
08-06-2006, 7:42 PM
They're not going to list! Embrace it, deal with it, live with it, build your fixed mag rifles and be happy!

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2006, 10:20 PM
DROS used to stand for Dealers Report of Sale.
Interesting. It is record of sale now.

AxonGap
08-07-2006, 3:26 PM
Go gripless (Monsterman or SRB) without all the evil features such as a telescoping stock, flash hider, etc. and then you can use detachable 10rd magazines! Or pin the mag and go evil. At least you have a choice, for the time being that is.

anotherone
08-07-2006, 4:52 PM
The way I see it, the DOJ wants the courts to open a registration period. There's no provisions in state law to force gun owners to modify or surrender their lawfully possessed property. The DOJ caters heavily to the gun control lobby and will not itself allow for registration.

Plus you have to look at it this way as well: even if the worst case scenario (for the DOJ) takes place and we get registration due to their redefinition, they've still won. In fact, this way they win bigger than if they would have just listed. True, there might be 50,000+ new registered AWs in the state, but now there's one less way for off-list rifles to be built up.

ljg17
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Is DOJ suggesting that all SKS owners are felons??

PanzerAce
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Is DOJ suggesting that all SKS owners are felons??

that does seem to be what would happen if they continue this route.

As for the DOJ wanting the courts to force a reg period, I hadnt thought of it that way, but after them wishing that this situation would just go away/never have happened, that does seem like what they would want. After all, at that point Lockyer can say that he never allowed AWs into the states, and that it was all the fault of the courts etc.

ljg17
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
I would think that there are a lot of guys with SKS that would crap their pants if they knew that the AG was about to make them felons without an opportunity to register or anything else. What if someone created a PDF flyer, letting all of the people who are not dialed into OLL know about the SKS implications, it may get more folks motivated.