PDA

View Full Version : French Mas 49 and 49/56

CalGunsNoob
08-05-2006, 9:43 PM
Can someone give me the low down on these?

They look intriguing. I guess ammo is the killer eh?

Rogerbutthead
08-05-2006, 10:22 PM
You should use the search tool on the French firearms gunboards site

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=15

There are some problems with the rifles that were altered to fire 308.

There are a number of posts on this rifle regardless of caliber. Spare magazines for the 7.5mm version seem to be at every gunshow and website.

The same cannot be said for the 308 magazines.

Good luck

anothergunnut
08-06-2006, 10:57 AM
The model 44 has no grenade launcher and is therefore legal in CA. Unfortunately, they are somewhat rare and command a higher price. 49/56 are very common and can be picked up in rearseneled condiction in the $350 to $450 range. Since the 49/56 has a grenade launcher it must be removed or that rifle is not legal in CA. Ammo is available but is not cheap. You can get new production ammo at reasonable prices (for new production).

Scott Connors
08-27-2006, 3:46 AM
The model 44 has no grenade launcher and is therefore legal in CA. Unfortunately, they are somewhat rare and command a higher price. 49/56 are very common and can be picked up in rearseneled condiction in the $350 to $450 range. Since the 49/56 has a grenade launcher it must be removed or that rifle is not legal in CA. Ammo is available but is not cheap. You can get new production ammo at reasonable prices (for new production).

What about the muzzle device on the rifle? I have seen it referred to in literature as both a flash suppressor and a muzzle break? Would it have to be removed also? If so, would the existing threading allow the substitution of a commercial muzzle break such as the Smith Enterprises M14 device?

I had one of these in 7.5mm French when I lived in Georgia and South Carolina, and they are sweet. Had to sell it when I was between jobs, more's the pity.

Rob454
09-05-2006, 5:46 PM
I had a 49/56 rechambered for a 308. The thing was HEAVY. I had no real problems with it with the exception of the extractor not extracting. which made the following round shove in to the spent casing when the rifle was fired. I slightly bent the extractor and it worked fine ever since. Funny thing was I bought it for 79$ and yes it was in california. my dad ended up cutting it up with a torch and throwing it out. He thought it was a illegal rifle.
I made him give me by 130$ back

Rob

anothergunnut
09-07-2006, 7:16 PM
Your dad was right, it is illegal. Of course, if he had limited his torch work to the grenade launcher you would have had a legal rifle.

Snuffalofogus
09-07-2006, 8:41 PM
I just bought 15 MAS 49/56 recievers.

They came out to be $4.01 shipped each ;)

I have 1 in 308 and 14 in 7.5:cool:

Rob454
09-09-2006, 3:04 PM
Your dad was right, it is illegal. Of course, if he had limited his torch work to the grenade launcher you would have had a legal rifle.

At the time I purchased it it wasnt illegal. When I walked in the gun store there were rows and rows of Mak 90s and AK 47s. this was back in 97-98 before the ban.
Rob